Brag Bag posts no longer add to postcount

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72867

dmorris68

11-01-2008 14:25:46

Yep, due to the popular practice of spamming "Congrats!" to every Brag Bag thread going back 3 months, which conveniently inflates post counts, Brag Bag joins the Trading Post in the exclusive Posts Not Counted Club.

Thanks, and have a nice day!

CollidgeGraduit

11-01-2008 14:31:46

Thank You

Thank You

samz465

11-01-2008 15:51:52

Haha.
Good call on this one.

Twon

11-01-2008 16:49:16

Why do you care if someone's post count is up? Is there an advantage/disadvantage?

samz465

11-01-2008 16:54:46

Me personally? No.
I just feel it may trick a newbie into thinking someone must be legit because they have 200 posts; Many of which came from the Brag Bag.

dmorris68

11-01-2008 17:44:40

[quote01c40c0449="Twon"]Why do you care if someone's post count is up? Is there an advantage/disadvantage?[/quote01c40c0449]
Because people place way too much importance on it. In some cases, it's an indicator of a person's longevity and participation on the forums, which counts for something when determining a person's legitimacy and reputation here. So some noobs will post anything anywhere to not look like such a noob. For others, it's an ePenis thing. Others may not like their current title, and are impatient to move to the next one.

Regardless of their reasons, people will post stupid, useless stuff to increase their post count, and it's annoying. Most of our forums have rules about spam posting that isn't related to the discussion at hand, but the very nature of the Trading Post and Brag Bag allow people to post without actually saying much, thus giving them an easier opportunity to fluff up their postcount. By disabling postcount credit for those forums, we remove the motivation.

puppeteer

11-01-2008 17:54:46

I hope iluvmy5babies is reading this .... because I just saw 15replies from her on brag bag lol

who knows maybe she likes congratulating ppl ) cheers

Twon

11-01-2008 18:29:04

[quote466d2fbc86="dmorris68"][quote466d2fbc86="Twon"]Why do you care if someone's post count is up? Is there an advantage/disadvantage?[/quote466d2fbc86]
Because people place way too much importance on it. In some cases, it's an indicator of a person's longevity and participation on the forums, which counts for something when determining a person's legitimacy and reputation here. So some noobs will post anything anywhere to not look like such a noob. For others, it's an ePenis thing. Others may not like their current title, and are impatient to move to the next one.

Regardless of their reasons, people will post stupid, useless stuff to increase their post count, and it's annoying. Most of our forums have rules about spam posting that isn't related to the discussion at hand, but the very nature of the Trading Post and Brag Bag allow people to post without actually saying much, thus giving them an easier opportunity to fluff up their postcount. By disabling postcount credit for those forums, we remove the motivation.[/quote466d2fbc86]

Why don't you just remove post count out of the equation all together. If it's not important...

dmorris68

11-01-2008 18:37:16

I don't believe we would survive the resulting mutiny...

Plus, like I said, it can be a useful indicator. Including to us admins. I didn't say it had no use or importance, it's just not as important as some people think it is. And when it's artificially inflated, it loses all significance entirely.

Twon

11-01-2008 18:53:05

[quote46aaa71856="dmorris68"]I don't believe we would survive the resulting mutiny...

Plus, like I said, it can be a useful indicator. Including to us admins. I didn't say it had no use or importance, it's just not as important as some people think it is. And when it's artificially inflated, it loses all significance entirely.[/quote46aaa71856]

word

J4320

02-06-2008 23:16:45

WHAT? Post count is everything. Without my post count I'm just a pointing monkey.

;)

Honestly though, there comes a point where you start to get ashamed of your post count. lol