exchanged 20gb for 40gb

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=4357

Bobolougats

29-12-2004 14:57:31

just thought i would let the people that have been wondering about exchanging their ipods know that it does work, you just need to smooth talk the customer service rep and be a little persistent. i personally went to an ipod store.....called before and they said it wouldn't fly, but i went there anyway and didn't have any real problems. just look for the youngest/most innocent looking cashier and you can manhandle them.

l0th

29-12-2004 15:01:11

if it's about manhandling them, choose the skinniest, shortest cashier, ask for a demo, grab the ipod, and run lol

forgot to add if you do this, ask for a demo of the 60gb ipod photo. Granted, it's heavier, but you should still be able to run pretty fast.

EatChex89

29-12-2004 15:09:48

[quote9170c1ca29="l0th"]if it's about manhandling them, choose the skinniest, shortest cashier, ask for a demo, grab the ipod, and run lol

forgot to add if you do this, ask for a demo of the 60gb ipod photo. Granted, it's heavier, but you should still be able to run pretty fast.[/quote9170c1ca29]

hahahahaha thats the way to do it....

Collateral

29-12-2004 15:11:21

I took mine to best buy. He was fine with it. He didn't ask for an exuce or anything and the only words he said were "I'll need your license." So I gave it to him and it went smooth, he handed me my store credit and I was on my way.

hovigga

29-12-2004 15:13:09

so...you can exchange the 20 for 40 for nothing at all?

EatChex89

29-12-2004 15:20:50

[quote7bcaffaee2="hovigga"]so...you can exchange the 20 for 40 for nothing at all?[/quote7bcaffaee2]

sure, go for it.

twistrman

29-12-2004 15:21:22

[quoteff7a4f2ff3="hovigga"]so...you can exchange the 20 for 40 for nothing at all?[/quoteff7a4f2ff3]

lol, you have to add the extra cash. i did it too at the ipod store near me.

Tholek

29-12-2004 15:45:29

[quote3c6d751824="Collateral"]I took mine to best buy. He was fine with it. He didn't ask for an exuce or anything and the only words he said were "I'll need your license." So I gave it to him and it went smooth, he handed me my store credit and I was on my way.[/quote3c6d751824]

You'll be entered into their system, and probably another national one that's shared by a number of retailers.

If you do it again, you could be blacklisted. shock

I saw this on GMA the other day, and it had me scared...even people with legitimate returns are being screwed over. (

Just remember, if you pay for something you think you might return, you should probably use a credit card with buyer protection that'll refund you, even if the store doesn't.

Tholek

29-12-2004 15:47:10

Oh, and if you are a student trying that return, you might get away with paying around $70 for the upgrade to 40GB. (Educational Discount)

EatChex89

29-12-2004 15:55:46

i dont get it tholek... explain more.

Collateral

29-12-2004 17:12:11

[quote2a013bad0b="Tholek"][quote2a013bad0b="Collateral"]I took mine to best buy. He was fine with it. He didn't ask for an exuce or anything and the only words he said were "I'll need your license." So I gave it to him and it went smooth, he handed me my store credit and I was on my way.[/quote2a013bad0b]

You'll be entered into their system, and probably another national one that's shared by a number of retailers.

If you do it again, you could be blacklisted. shock

I saw this on GMA the other day, and it had me scared...even people with legitimate returns are being screwed over. (

Just remember, if you pay for something you think you might return, you should probably use a credit card with buyer protection that'll refund you, even if the store doesn't.[/quote2a013bad0b]

What do you mean? How would they know if it was a legitimate return or not? What could they do about it?

Tholek

29-12-2004 17:20:19

Supposedly retailers are now using some system where they share records of suspicious returns, by tracking the info off the ID you submit.

If you keep returning items without receipts, you could be denied from returning items in future.

Don't ask me which stores, apparently it's not something they like to disclose.

Collateral

29-12-2004 17:35:25

[quote5f54e04769="Tholek"]Supposedly retailers are now using some system where they share records of suspicious returns, by tracking the info off the ID you submit.

If you keep returning items without receipts, you could be denied from returning items in future.

Don't ask me which stores, apparently it's not something they like to disclose.[/quote5f54e04769]

Yah, I heard about it on the news the other day, not just returning items without receipts but also scammers that wear clothes and return them and buy something else and return that and so on... I won't have to worry though, just because the only thing I've returned without a receipt was my iPod.

Tholek

29-12-2004 17:59:50

That may be the reason they started it, but no, that's not the only people they are going after.

Even people [i6d81a3a582]with[/i6d81a3a582] receipts are being blacklisted if they go over a certain number of returns within an alloted time.

I wish I knew more about this....

Collateral

29-12-2004 18:02:52

[quote7d2cfa51fa="Tholek"]That may be the reason they started it, but no, that's not the only people they are going after.

[b7d2cfa51fa]Even people [i7d2cfa51fa]with[/i7d2cfa51fa] receipts are being blacklisted if they go over a certain number of returns within an alloted time.[/b7d2cfa51fa]

I wish I knew more about this....[/quote7d2cfa51fa]

Yah, that's what my post above was suppose to cover. D I could probably find more info later on.

FreeOffersNow

29-12-2004 21:10:26

I'd assume its a loss prevention tactic to help minimize profit loss due to fraudulent returns. More likely than not, these firms are targeting people who make returns after purchasing goods at a discounted price. For example, if someone were to purchase 100 iPods at a wholesale rate of $250, and returned them to Best Buy for store credit of $325 each, Best Buy actually loses money (even though they have the 100 iPods). I'm sure they are also looking to prevent the return of hijacked or stolen items (especially items hijacked or stolen from their own stores!).

Collateral

29-12-2004 21:28:01

^^^^ Exactly FreeOffers, When I went up to the counter I didn't even have a sack for it, I just brought it without one and they didn't even say anything about that... I could've just swiped one from the store and they wouldn't have known, I wouldn't do that though P But anyways.. it's true, people could buy them for a discounted price and return them to the store and make a profit.

Tholek

30-12-2004 06:19:02

[quoteeb05872710="Collateral"]I could've just swiped one from the store and they wouldn't have known, I wouldn't do that though P But anyways.. it's true, people could buy them for a discounted price and return them to the store and make a profit.[/quoteeb05872710]

Actually, they couldn't.....(unless they were a hot chick) ;)

Almost all stores will now only orffer the lowest price ever given for the item, and will often factor in the mail-in rebates as well.

Now seeing as the iPod is almost never on sale, you'd have no problem, but in general, people who do returns to profit are out of luck these days.

As far as stealing and returning, that's why this new shared system exists (at least that's what they said), but they are being overcautious and penalizing those with legitamite reasons.

warcow

18-01-2005 18:11:06

now im scared!! lol