***RECEIVED!*** 42' PLASMA FROM E-RESEARCHGROUP!! :D

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41584

Godrockdj

20-06-2006 07:14:18

YES!!! So I was sleeping a little late this morning. Late night and all ;) My doorbell rings and I'm like "Who is that?!" I look out the window and see this truck "Pitt Ohio Delivery" and suddenly I'm running down the stairs with anticipation. The guy greets me at the door and says "Hey, are you expecting a delivery from these people?" and points to the receipt where it says 'Fufillment Center' I say "YES, most likely, what is it??!?!?" "It's a tv or something!" "AHHHH, yes, bring it in!!!!!"

So he procedes to haul the giant box up my walk and into my living room. I then see that it is a 42' Panasonic Widescreen. Model #TH-42PWD8UK . I see after Froogling it that it is worth $1200-1600 instead of the promised $2000 so I'm a little dissapointed in that. We're also a little sad that it's not a check. But this particular tv seems to have great user reviews.

This is my first giant prize from the DIY scene. I just got a nano from Anyfreegift 2 weeks ago. For anyone wondering about my timeline I was approved on May 11th (as were a bunch of other people).

[i34b09879d9]Although[/i34b09879d9], I just have to say that I am assuming this is from e-Researchgroup and not the other iDeal site I'm doing. But I was only approved at YourCoolFreestuff like a week ago, so I think this is a safe bet. When the YourCoolFreestuff gift arrives, it will be sold if it is a tv.

PICS TO COME SOON!

PS - My hubby doesn't know where to put this tv lol. See, I have this normal old 19 inch Phillips that is a [b34b09879d9]magic tv[/b34b09879d9] - We only subscribe to basic cable (local channels only) but when this tv is plugged in, we get everything!!! Only on this tv. So he is worried about not being able to watch Sci-Fi, History channel, spike (Star trek), etc LOL

bruman

20-06-2006 07:34:08

Did you seriously scream "AHHHH yes bring it on!" in front of the delivery man after he said it was a TV?

dmorris68

20-06-2006 07:43:12

Congrats! I have the same TV from CSC and it's hanging on the bedroom wall. The wife loves it. It's an EDTV, not HDTV, hence the lower value. But the quality is excellent -- especially for free -- and it's one of the top rated plasmas in its class.

BTW, the plasma has no tuner, so you'll get NO cable at all on it until you get a cable box.

Godrockdj

20-06-2006 07:43:50

[quote89623994a0="bruman"]Did you seriously scream "AHHHH yes bring it on!" in front of the delivery man after he said it was a TV?[/quote89623994a0]

I said 'bring it IN', but yes P It wasn't a total horror-movie scream but more like a very loud freaking out scream D

Godrockdj

20-06-2006 07:44:46

[quote422a74892d="dmorris68"]Congrats! I have the same TV from CSC and it's hanging on the bedroom wall. The wife loves it. It's an EDTV, not HDTV, hence the lower value. But the quality is excellent -- especially for free -- and it's one of the top rated plasmas in its class.

BTW, the plasma has no tuner, so you'll get NO cable at all on it until you get a cable box.[/quote422a74892d]

shock shock shock Oh no! So, did you guys get a box?

dmorris68

20-06-2006 07:49:15

[quote1e6a360fb1="Godrockdj"][quote1e6a360fb1="dmorris68"]Congrats! I have the same TV from CSC and it's hanging on the bedroom wall. The wife loves it. It's an EDTV, not HDTV, hence the lower value. But the quality is excellent -- especially for free -- and it's one of the top rated plasmas in its class.

BTW, the plasma has no tuner, so you'll get NO cable at all on it until you get a cable box.[/quote1e6a360fb1]

shock shock shock Oh no! So, did you guys get a box?[/quote1e6a360fb1]
A cable box? Already had it, 3 Moxi HD DVR's in fact. I have full HD service with all the movie channels and everything. ) Had DirecTV before that, and am thinking about moving to DishTV in a few months when my cable discount runs out, since Dish's HD service blows pretty much everybody away (though their equipment sucks).

Captain All That

20-06-2006 09:21:22

You can buy an unlocked Cable Box off Ebay... and it's only illegal if you actually use it.

I used to have one I never used personally... But my TV loved it!

UsfGeek

20-06-2006 09:34:02

Congratulations on your new TV> I wish I would have gotten in on this when it was hot.

dmorris68

20-06-2006 09:49:31

[quotec3c50cd184="Captain All That"]You can buy an unlocked Cable Box off Ebay... and it's only illegal if you actually use it.

I used to have one I never used personally... But my TV loved it![/quotec3c50cd184]
And pretty worthless nowadays with most modern addressable cable systems, especially the 2-way systems.

Godrockdj, if you have basic analog cable from the wall, you can find cheap analog cable boxes (with no descrambler for premium channels) that are perfectly legal to use with your paid basic cable service. Just get one that has video outputs other than an RF/coax connector, since that TV has no coax inputs. You might also be able to rent one for a couple bucks per month if your cable co still rents basic analog boxes.

I'll also point out that analog cable on a nice large-format TV like this plasma is going to look pretty bad. Poor signal quality issues that don't show up on small tube TV's are magnified on a quality big screen, so be prepared for that.

Godrockdj

20-06-2006 09:52:03

[quote0614b66f67="dmorris68"][quote0614b66f67="Captain All That"]You can buy an unlocked Cable Box off Ebay... and it's only illegal if you actually use it.

I used to have one I never used personally... But my TV loved it![/quote0614b66f67]
And pretty worthless nowadays with most modern addressable cable systems, especially the 2-way systems.

Godrockdj, if you have basic analog cable from the wall, you can find cheap analog cable boxes (with no descrambler for premium channels) that are perfectly legal to use with your paid basic cable service. Just get one that has video outputs other than an RF/coax connector, since that TV has no coax inputs. You might also be able to rent one for a couple bucks per month if your cable co still rents basic analog boxes.[/quote0614b66f67]

Thanks, I will tell my dh about that and see what he thinks. He is going to be calling Comcast anyways because our year long special price is up.... Got a big bill in the mail ? No way in heck am I paying more for cable than we are already. He's going to go the route of "Hi, I'm calling to cancel our cable, we're switching to cheaper DSL" Apparently it's very successful D

manOFice

20-06-2006 10:09:39

congrats, to bad its up to 5 referrals now (

Wolfeman

20-06-2006 10:26:04

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! dance

doylnea

20-06-2006 11:20:57

Congrats GRDJ - you deserve it...

theysayjump

20-06-2006 11:24:30

Ya rly, I know the hassle you went through to get it (me giving you the money for offers, me finding you a ref, me showing you where your ref link was, me helping you with the W-9, me helping you with getting it all done before the deadline and me also having to put up with berky34 constantly asking me to tell you to stop harassing him about it roll ) so you better appreciate it.

Congrats. D

ajrock2000

20-06-2006 11:30:19

Congrats, I am in my 7th week, hopefully it comes soon for me too.

Berky34

20-06-2006 11:41:50

[quote80694195bf="theysayjump"]Ya rly, I know the hassle you went through to get it (me giving you the money for offers, me finding you a ref, me showing you where your ref link was, me helping you with the W-9, me helping you with getting it all done before the deadline and me also having to put up with berky34 constantly asking me to tell you to stop harassing him about it roll ) so you better appreciate it.

Congrats. D[/quote80694195bf]
rofl tsj, and congrats!! I hope to get mine some day.. hopefully today/tmrw

UsfGeek

20-06-2006 12:19:04

Hopefully you will Berky

Godrockdj

20-06-2006 12:59:03

[quote1e9a3c54dd="theysayjump"]Ya rly, I know the hassle you went through to get it (me giving you the money for offers, me finding you a ref, me showing you where your ref link was, me helping you with the W-9, me helping you with getting it all done before the deadline and me also having to put up with berky34 constantly asking me to tell you to stop harassing him about it roll ) so you better appreciate it.

Congrats. D[/quote1e9a3c54dd]

lol

Thanks everyone!

johnjimjones

20-06-2006 13:42:37

Congrats. I wish I could have gotten one too from that....cry

Jasone89

20-06-2006 15:19:50

Did your account status change or does it still say that the vouchers were processed May 11th. I hope mine comes in soon.

CONGRATS

Godrockdj

20-06-2006 20:41:40

My account status is still unchanged lol.

Ok random question - This is probably something in the settings of the manual but it's late and I thought someone just might know it. This is a widescreen, 16x9 tv. I throw in my LotR FotR dvd which of course is widescreen. However when it plays, we still see black bars on the top and bottom. What's up??

dmorris68

20-06-2006 21:22:37

[quote71f8d24fc1="Godrockdj"]My account status is still unchanged lol.

Ok random question - This is probably something in the settings of the manual but it's late and I thought someone just might know it. This is a widescreen, 16x9 tv. I throw in my LotR FotR dvd which of course is widescreen. However when it plays, we still see black bars on the top and bottom. What's up??[/quote71f8d24fc1]
Because the movie wasn't filmed in a 1.78 or 1.85 aspect ratio, which is required to fill a 169 display. Many movies are filmed in Panavision/CinemaScope 2.351 aspect ratio, which results in the black bars top & bottom, because it's a wider screen than a 169 can handle. There are other aspect ratios less commonly used as well, such as 1.66, but 1.78/1.85 and 2.35 are by far the most common for feature films.

If you look on the back of the DVD case, it will typically show the aspect ratio. So when you're buying/renting videos, you can immediately tell if it will fill your 169 display or not (as if it matters, because it's not like you have a choice of widescreen aspect ratios for the same movie).

kt006

21-06-2006 14:15:08

Now my hopes are way too high on CSC. Every time I hear a truck I'm like "is it here?!"

Congrats tho D