Got my FreeDesktopPC(CyberPower)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=13392

breslijo

03-05-2005 19:31:05

Well, UPS just left it at my door, no one was home. Someone could have had my free pc!

Anyway, you can tell UPS did not read the fragile or this end up warning on the package.

Anyway, due to their great shipping, I needed to re-seat the processor. Once I did that, the system flew into XP home.

I immediately re-formated, installed XP Pro, and downloaded all the VIA VT8237 drivers (Chipset, Audio, SATA, etc) as well as the NVIDIA MX 400 drivers

Now doing Windows Updates...

PoPoJiJo

03-05-2005 20:42:36

congrats man thats awesome

theysayjump

04-05-2005 00:31:32

yeah nice one!

please let us know if you have any problems with that computer as ive read alot of people complain about it.

breslijo

04-05-2005 07:13:59

No problems, just re-seating the processor but I blame UPS on that.

The case was in perfect shape. The wires were neatly tie-wrapped. They even used rounded IDE cables instead of flat ribbon.

I received manuals and cd's for all parts, including the motherboard, the most important manual. I usually just download drivers anyway instead of using Vendor provided CDs. I did also receive a user manual for a laptop like other people stated, I haven't dug in to figure out why, but it's no big deal since the other manuals were there. Even Dell or Sony usually won't give you the Full manuafacturer's motherboard manual. So, it was nice, all the stuff you'd have if you built the machine yourself, just none of the labor.

It came with the 2 AMD coupons to use online. One for Free Half-Life 2 (~$30 value) and another for 4 Months of Napster and 12 un-protected downloads ($51.84 value).

So, 2 things I definitely will use.

I did not see a printed manual for the case or temp lcd. Maybe it's on one of the CDs or maybe that's what they meant to send instead of the Laptop manual. Either way, updated pdf files are easily found online.

It even comes with XP Home and Microsoft Works, but like I said, I re-formatted and went for XP Pro and Office Pro 2003.

The fans themselves have Blue LED's on them so the blue tube light on the bottom of the case really doesn't even need to be used. Either way, there's an external on/off switch on the bottom pci panel on the back of the PC. Also, the front LCD has a dial to control fan speed.

Corolla

04-05-2005 17:34:39

What was your timeline?

theysayjump

04-05-2005 23:10:10

[quote7adb706b35="breslijo"]No problems, just re-seating the processor but I blame UPS on that.

The case was in perfect shape. The wires were neatly tie-wrapped. They even used rounded IDE cables instead of flat ribbon.

I received manuals and cd's for all parts, including the motherboard, the most important manual. I usually just download drivers anyway instead of using Vendor provided CDs. I did also receive a user manual for a laptop like other people stated, I haven't dug in to figure out why, but it's no big deal since the other manuals were there. Even Dell or Sony usually won't give you the Full manuafacturer's motherboard manual. So, it was nice, all the stuff you'd have if you built the machine yourself, just none of the labor.

It came with the 2 AMD coupons to use online. One for Free Half-Life 2 (~$30 value) and another for 4 Months of Napster and 12 un-protected downloads ($51.84 value).

So, 2 things I definitely will use.

I did not see a printed manual for the case or temp lcd. Maybe it's on one of the CDs or maybe that's what they meant to send instead of the Laptop manual. Either way, updated pdf files are easily found online.

It even comes with XP Home and Microsoft Works, but like I said, I re-formatted and went for XP Pro and Office Pro 2003.

The fans themselves have Blue LED's on them so the blue tube light on the bottom of the case really doesn't even need to be used. Either way, there's an external on/off switch on the bottom pci panel on the back of the PC. Also, the front LCD has a dial to control fan speed.[/quote7adb706b35]

sounds good! maybe its a hit and miss thing.....some get shit, some dont. is it worth it to get that computer even though it doesnt have a monitor?

CoMpFrEaK

04-05-2005 23:16:45

Reseat the CPU? What do you mean by that? I would imagine that the hsf on the cpu would have fell off first. (Not to mention destroy your comp in the process) I would never imagine the CPU comming lose first.

breslijo

05-05-2005 06:10:14

[quote5b2394f537="CoMpFrEaK"]Reseat the CPU? What do you mean by that? I would imagine that the hsf on the cpu would have fell off first. (Not to mention destroy your comp in the process) I would never imagine the CPU comming lose first.[/quote5b2394f537]

Well, the heatsink and fan are clamped onto the board. that was fine, the processor underneath either lost full contact with all those pins or it was one of those static issues. I don't know the full reason why it happens, just how to resolve it. We have a bunch of Dell systems here and same thing happens if we move them around, sometimes one won't boot and it's usually a memory card we have to re-seat.

My timeline, by the way, I forget it all now, in earlly March I got my greens and submitted for approval. But about 4 days later I find that Stavros[=http//www.freeipodguide.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2555]Stavros gave me a SCAM Green that went grey, so I needed to get another Green. Submitted for approval again. After about 3 weeks I was approved on April 8th and placed the Order that day. It went STV around April 20th and was shipped out by CyberPower on April 27th via UPS.

theysayjump

05-05-2005 07:07:15

nice one! well enjoy your new computer! D

nicd.01

05-05-2005 21:20:03

Ahh, only 7 days for it to ship? Excellent. Mine just went STV today so I hope I have the same luck as you. Glad to see you didn't have any major problems. Enjoy!