Upgrading RAM

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=79272

zr2152

31-10-2009 08:57:21

Yeah I know this is a simple process but I have a few questions.

I got an older Dell desktop and want to upgrade the RAM and Video Card (if not to expensive). Now I know that with the RAM i need to look at the amount of pins that my motherboard has but is that it? Just the amount of pins? If so, cool but if not then what?

Yeah so I think that's about it.

BTW, its a Dell Dimension 8600 with XP. Pentium 4 with 2.6 ghertz processor. Right now it has 256 MB of RAM (YUCK). lol I can't even run 2 programs at once like I can on my laptop haha. I have it hooked up to my 37" LCD and want to use it to watch movies and what not.

)

Thanks

CollidgeGraduit

31-10-2009 09:07:14

[quote55fda959fb="zr2152"]Yeah I know this is a simple process but I have a few questions.

I got an older Dell desktop and want to upgrade the RAM and Video Card (if not to expensive). Now I know that with the RAM i need to look at the amount of pins that my motherboard has but is that it? Just the amount of pins? If so, cool but if not then what?

BTW, its a Dell Dimension 8600 with XP. Pentium 4 with 2.6 ghertz processor. Right now it has 256 MB of RAM (YUCK). lol I can't even run 2 programs at once like I can on my laptop haha. I have it hooked up to my 37" LCD and want to use it to watch movies and what not.

)

Thanks[/quote55fda959fb]

Crucial.com has a great tool that will detect what memory you need. I believe most of the RAM manufacturers' websites will at least let you plug in your Dell model # and tell you what RAM you need.

zr2152

31-10-2009 11:13:12

[quote583d74de96="CollidgeGraduit"][quote583d74de96="zr2152"]Yeah I know this is a simple process but I have a few questions.

)

Thanks[/quote583d74de96]

Crucial.com has a great tool that will detect what memory you need. I believe most of the RAM manufacturers' websites will at least let you plug in your Dell model # and tell you what RAM you need.[/quote583d74de96]

awesome. Thanks!

zr2152

31-10-2009 11:27:06

Wow that worked great. I wish they had one for Video Cards. If I was to upgrade to a HD video card, would I need to look into buying a new power supply? I might get to the point of just spending the extra 100 for a new desktop...lol