wireless not working properly.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=79150

TFOAF

11-09-2009 16:23:16

okay so my friend wanted to setup xbox live by bridging his networking connections so he wouldn't have to buy a wireless adapter, and he'd be able to use his laptop as the wireless part.

i've done this with numerous laptops with success...and i've seen this issue once...but now my friend has the issue.

when he bridges the ethernet and wireless connections, the internet becomes inaccessible via wireless (on the laptop and when connected to the xbox). but when they are unbridged it works again. how can this be fixed? by the way both devices are working correctly bridged and not bridged.

zr2152

12-09-2009 22:48:55

http//www.ehow.com/how_4700618_computers-wireless-internet-connection-vista.html

Use this link. It's not bridging the connection but it works. There are other links on that page that might help. Also, for bridging, i think you might need to check the box under sharing where it says "allow users to connect through this computers internet connection" (not sure if you've done that with his connection).

TFOAF

13-09-2009 08:53:17

[quoteae34b8644e="zr2152"]http//www.ehow.com/how_4700618_computers-wireless-internet-connection-vista.html

Use this link. It's not bridging the connection but it works. There are other links on that page that might help. Also, for bridging, i think you might need to check the box under sharing where it says "allow users to connect through this computers internet connection" (not sure if you've done that with his connection).[/quoteae34b8644e]
thanks.

where is the "allow users to connect through this computers internet connection" setting? I looked everywhere.

zr2152

13-09-2009 10:36:03

[quote2af461df27="TFOAF"][quote2af461df27="zr2152"]http//www.ehow.com/how_4700618_computers-wireless-internet-connection-vista.html

Use this link. It's not bridging the connection but it works. There are other links on that page that might help. Also, for bridging, i think you might need to check the box under sharing where it says "allow users to connect through this computers internet connection" (not sure if you've done that with his connection).[/quote2af461df27]
thanks.

where is the "allow users to connect through this computers internet connection" setting? I looked everywhere.[/quote2af461df27]

right click on your wireless connection. Got to "properties" then under your properties window you should have a "Network" and "Sharing" tab. Under the sharing tab is where you should find it.

I have read tutorials where people say to check it and reviews that don't even mention checking it. I would just give it a shot. Also, he might want to take at his router settings and make sure that he has his mac filtering disabled.

TFOAF

13-09-2009 11:12:56

that might just do it for (for me though). i guess i'll enable it then bridge the connections...but my friend's situation is differet. when he bridges the connections the wireless on his laptop dies. it's "enabled" but it refuses to go on the internet...but when he unbridges it, it works perfectly fine.

zr2152

13-09-2009 11:49:19

[quote83e330c67c="TFOAF"]that might just do it for (for me though). i guess i'll enable it then bridge the connections...but my friend's situation is differet. when he bridges the connections the wireless on his laptop dies. it's "enabled" but it refuses to go on the internet...but when he unbridges it, it works perfectly fine.[/quote83e330c67c]

Maybe there is an issue with his LAN connection settings. Is he using a static IP?

TFOAF

13-09-2009 15:11:29

I don't believe so. I've seen this problem before and was unable to fix it for someone else. I'm not a guru on networking but I know more than the average person hahah, so I did check all IP settings and whatnot.

UNLESS O ....... UNLESS ...no wait...why would him having a static IP change anything. Because the internet stops working even if he's not connected to the xbox, it stops working on the laptop by itself.

zr2152

13-09-2009 16:19:49

[quote803b6f4e0d="TFOAF"]I don't believe so. I've seen this problem before and was unable to fix it for someone else. I'm not a guru on networking but I know more than the average person hahah, so I did check all IP settings and whatnot.

UNLESS O ....... UNLESS ...no wait...why would him having a static IP change anything. Because the internet stops working even if he's not connected to the xbox, it stops working on the laptop by itself.[/quote803b6f4e0d]

Could it be a network hardware issue?

TFOAF

13-09-2009 17:42:25

That's what doesn't make sense...the hardware is perfectly fine...both the ethernet and wireless function properly when they are not bridged.

zr2152

13-09-2009 19:02:26

so when they are bridged..just the wireless stops working. Is he connected to his xbox when he is trying to get online? If so, something with the xbox and computer are interfering.

TFOAF

13-09-2009 19:19:56

[quotedabbd7b504="zr2152"]so when they are bridged..just the wireless stops working. Is he connected to his xbox when he is trying to get online? If so, something with the xbox and computer are interfering.[/quotedabbd7b504]
no. it is not connected to the xbox when the wireless dies. the wireless just dies when it's bridged, but comes back when it's unbridged. i've never seen anything like it...and i've seen this problem before...and i've googled my ass off on this issue it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

gafdpc

13-09-2009 19:39:31

Instead of bridging, why don't you use just ICS? I've always had much better results.

TFOAF

13-09-2009 20:34:42

and how would you use ICS with the xbox, when the xbox is not a windows operating system lol.

gafdpc

13-09-2009 23:40:10

like this lol

http//support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/xboxlive/getconnected/setupahomenetwork/windowsicsconnection.aspx

EDIT link actually isn't really helpful.

Anyway the 360 runs a lot of the Windows kernel, but I'm almost positive the machine sharing the connection doesn't have to be Windows at all. Just set up ICS as normal on the PC and then plug in the 360.

TFOAF

14-09-2009 09:23:09

[quotedcde8dc07f="gafdpc"]like this lol

http//support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/xboxlive/getconnected/setupahomenetwork/windowsicsconnection.aspx

EDIT link actually isn't really helpful.

Anyway the 360 runs a lot of the Windows kernel, but I'm almost positive the machine sharing the connection doesn't have to be Windows at all. Just set up ICS as normal on the PC and then plug in the 360.[/quotedcde8dc07f]
Okay thank you, I was actually going to try that when I get home on Friday...but that solves my issue...we still can't figure out why my friend's laptop cannot access the internet wireless once bridged...but when unbridged it works perfectly fine. O