Video camera recommendations

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=79080

CollidgeGraduit

23-08-2009 14:27:39

I'm looking to get a video camera to capture some of my daughter's moments as she grows up. What do you guys recommend? Here's what I'm looking for.

- Primarily will be uploading short clips for family to view online
- Looks decent played back on a TV
- Would prefer memory card for storage if possible
- Budget is around $300

Size is not a huge deal, it will be at home mostly. If we travel, it won't be a problem to stick it in my camera bag.

dmorris68

24-08-2009 05:27:12

I like Sony and Canon for video cameras. My Sony HDC-40 MiniDV cam is still plenty sufficient for what little video work I do, so I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest.

If you're looking for a flash-based non-HD camera on the cheap, here's a Canon FS10[=http//www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4632163&Sku=C925-1448]here's a Canon FS10 with 8GB of internal storage plus support for SDHC cards for $199 refurbed.

They also have the Canon FS200[=http//www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4445844&csid=_21]Canon FS200 new for $299. Looks like a newer model with more features (and not a refurb) but doesn't come with any internal storage from what I can see, so you have to provide the SDHC card.

Disclaimer I haven't shopped around for price comparisons. I found the $199 refurb deal linked on Woot today, then from there saw the $299 FS200. Be sure to check Pricewatch/Google/Bing for better deals, and don't forget to check for Bing cashback too. I think TigerDirect bought out CC's online presence and I know TD is a cashback vendor, not sure about the CC store though.

CollidgeGraduit

24-08-2009 06:01:37

[quote68f43ee14a="dmorris68"]I like Sony and Canon for video cameras. My Sony HDC-40 MiniDV cam is still plenty sufficient for what little video work I do, so I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest.

If you're looking for a flash-based non-HD camera on the cheap, here's a Canon FS10[=http//www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4632163&Sku=C925-1448]here's a Canon FS10 with 8GB of internal storage plus support for SDHC cards for $199 refurbed.

They also have the Canon FS200[=http//www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4445844&csid=_21]Canon FS200 new for $299. Looks like a newer model with more features (and not a refurb) but doesn't come with any internal storage from what I can see, so you have to provide the SDHC card.

Disclaimer I haven't shopped around for price comparisons. I found the $199 refurb deal linked on Woot today, then from there saw the $299 FS200. Be sure to check Pricewatch/Google/Bing for better deals, and don't forget to check for Bing cashback too. I think TigerDirect bought out CC's online presence and I know TD is a cashback vendor, not sure about the CC store though.[/quote68f43ee14a]

Thanks for the info. Our main use is going to be throwing some clips online for family to see, but I'd also like to make sure the TV playback is decent.

I don't see much about playback in the description, so I assume it isn't HD (which is fine), but how do you think it'd look?

dmorris68

24-08-2009 09:51:45

On that site the $199 FS10 lists its recording definition as "Standard Definition" while the FS200 lists "High Definition." However I'm a little skeptical that they make an HD model without built-in storage. Still, for the extra $100 the FS200 seems to be the better deal for the extra features, not to mention it's new and not a refurb.

My Sony MiniDV cam is standard definition, roughly DVD quality. It looks damn good, so if you don't really have a need for HD, then SD will suit you fine.

CollidgeGraduit

24-08-2009 18:05:05

I almost pulled the trigger on the FS200, then I came across this one http//www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001P3P3QW/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance Looks good to me.

A few friends have recommended P&S cameras with a video function (namely the Canon SD780). Am I correct in assuming it's not going to be as good as something like the Panasonic linked above?

Sample video from the SD780 actually looks decent, and I wouldn't mind having a small P&S, but being limited to 3X zoom concerns me..

dmorris68

24-08-2009 18:13:28

If you want to have reasonable video, do NOT try to use a P&S. It's not far removed from cellphone video, certainly when compared to a real video cam. I'm sure that Panny or even some offbrand video cam will do better than any P&S. But if all you want is YouTube quality, then go for it.

CollidgeGraduit

24-08-2009 18:55:42

[quotee4de1c7a4f="dmorris68"]If you want to have reasonable video, do NOT try to use a P&S. It's not far removed from cellphone video, certainly when compared to a real video cam. I'm sure that Panny or even some offbrand video cam will do better than any P&S. But if all you want is YouTube quality, then go for it.[/quotee4de1c7a4f]

I think I'm going to go with either the Canon or the Panasonic.. which do you like better? Looking at reviews and test videos, I can't see much of a difference.. but then again, I've also never owned a video camera.

dmorris68

24-08-2009 19:24:39

Either would probably be fine. Personally, I'd tend to lean towards the Canon simply because I like their camera gear, it's highly rated, and a known quantity with me. I like Panny for other stuff, but Canon and Sony are my picks for video camera gear. That's not to say the Panny wouldn't be perfectly suitable though.

tylerc

24-08-2009 20:01:28

[quotedc2309807b="CollidgeGraduit"][quotedc2309807b="dmorris68"]If you want to have reasonable video, do NOT try to use a P&S. It's not far removed from cellphone video, certainly when compared to a real video cam. I'm sure that Panny or even some offbrand video cam will do better than any P&S. But if all you want is YouTube quality, then go for it.[/quotedc2309807b]

I think I'm going to go with either the Canon or the Panasonic.. which do you like better? Looking at reviews and test videos, I can't see much of a difference.. but then again, I've also never owned a video camera.[/quotedc2309807b]

Maybe you could borrow your neighbor's, lol.

DRay9911

28-08-2009 15:03:16

i'm late on this...but you MUST go with something that records in HD

i bought a flipHD last christmas for taking clips of my nephew (he is now 28 months old). it's great if you want to throw it on youtube, vimeo, myspace or facebook. it also has a function where you can e-mail clips in what looks like a postcard.

this week i bought a panasonic ZS3 on amazon

http//www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001QFZMCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251133616&sr=8-1

it also records video in HD...i have not used the video function myself yet, but i have seen output from others and it looks INCREDIBLE. i will be using it this weekend taking video of my nephew. i can send you results if you would like.

-dan