Well, I broke down and...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=79063

dmorris68

18-08-2009 06:48:13

...bought an iPhone 3GS a week or so ago. The HTC Fuze I got last November was an overall disappointment, so I used the upgrade eligibility on one of my extra lines to get me a 3GS.

Damn. Say what you will about Apple, but they make some sexy gear. Easily the best phone I've ever had, just like I considered the iPod the best portable audio device made. The final confirmation was from my wife, who is mostly a technophobe who always hated my gadget-phones and other than her iPod Nano could care less about the latest tech devices. She took one look at me playing with the iPhone and now she wants one. Thankfully her line is upgrade-eligible so I guess I'll go pick her one up too.

I was so impressed, I went and bought a Mac Mini just so I could write apps for it. I toyed with running OSX in VMWare (not very pleasant), and considered building a Hackintosh, but ultimately decided to just buy a new 2Ghz C2D Mini with the baseline 1GB RAM and HDD, then as soon as I got it home yesterday I pried the case open with a putty knife and installed 4GB of Crucial DDR3. The 120GB HDD will be sufficient for development and I have several spare external drives anyway. Also paid the $10 pre-order for Snow Leopard. Again, for such a tiny little box this thing is litightli. Lots of power and features in such a small package.

Now I'm ready to make moniez writing iPhone apps. Send in all of your ideas for apps so that I can steal them and make millyunz without giving you any credit. I will give karma points, though, if the ideas are good enough.

theysayjump

18-08-2009 09:26:19

Do you get the upgrade price for Snow Leopard? I think for me it'll be $29, which compared to Windows upgrade prices you just can't beat.

I was tempted (very tempted) to sell my 3G and get the 3GS, but by the time a new one comes out next June I'll be upgrade-eligible so I'll get all of the goodness of the 3GS and whatever is in the new-fangled one too. D

When I first got my iPhone I was playing with it as I walked back to the car where my wife was waiting. Literally after less than one minute of me showing her the phone she had it in her hands and I couldn't get it back, same for the rest of that night too. So a week later she went and got one too.

It's fucked up how many ideas I've had for apps for the iPhone, only to see someone else make them about a month later. I started watching the videos in iTunes from Apple University or whatever it's called to try to teach myself how to make apps but realised it was pretty much all above me.

Is that Mac Mini your first Mac?

I'd rather give you my ideas for free so that someone else doesn't make them. ;)

dmorris68

18-08-2009 10:19:02

[quotee476593e14="theysayjump"]Do you get the upgrade price for Snow Leopard? I think for me it'll be $29, which compared to Windows upgrade prices you just can't beat.[/quotee476593e14]
Mac/Leopard purchases after June 8th qualify for a $9.95 upgrade to Snow Leopard. I ordered it online last night after registering the Mini.

[quotee476593e14="theysayjump"]It's fucked up how many ideas I've had for apps for the iPhone, only to see someone else make them about a month later. I started watching the videos in iTunes from Apple University or whatever it's called to try to teach myself how to make apps but realised it was pretty much all above me.[/quotee476593e14]
My son-in-law actually wanted to buy me the Mini after we were discussing how simple, random, useless apps are selling by the tens of thousands at 99 cents a pop. He views himself as an idea and marketing guy, so he wants us to partner up with me doing the development and him handling the marketing/sales. I wouldn't let him buy it but he insists on at least covering the $99 iPhone Partner fee, so I may let him. I told him if he can come up with a business plan and some good ideas, we'll give it a shot. I've warned him though. Like you, I've searched for every good idea I came up with only to find it already done. OTOH a few have met with mixed reviews, lacking some in-demand feature that I think I could provide. At this point, with app saturation being what it is, the most lucrative plan is going to be taking an existing idea and improving it, rather than coming up with something that's never been done. I have several ideas that unfortunately are not compatible with iPhone development, given Apple's pretty draconian restrictions on things like background tasks. And goat pr0n. But mostly the background tasks thing...

[quotee476593e14="theysayjump"]Is that Mac Mini your first Mac?[/quotee476593e14]
Yep. I've poked around with a few and honestly have never cared for it compared to Linux or even Windows. I'm an old-school geek who prefers to be able wrench on my hardware AND software, which is pretty much the anti-Mac philosophy. If it weren't for Apple locking down real iPhone development to the Mac platform, I still wouldn't have one. But at least now nobody can call me an OS bigot, since my home office has machines running at least a half-dozen different ones now. ) For new or casual users though I think it's a good fit, and Apple knows how to build solid, sexy gear.

[quotee476593e14="theysayjump"]I'd rather give you my ideas for free so that someone else doesn't make them. ;)[/quotee476593e14]
Well, hey, I did say I would be generous with karma points. Extra generous, in your case. ;) P

theysayjump

19-08-2009 22:37:07

Yeah I'm the same way, I have no real knowledge or skills to make the apps myself, but I have a shitload of ideas and can usually find the flaws in most of the apps I use.

One of my things is that some developers just push the app out but don't care about supporting it on a daily basis or responding to problems in a timely manner and what seem like easy updates take weeks to surface (obviously Apple's seemingly spotty review process will slow them down).

I also read an article comparing the difference between charging for an app or giving away for free but having in app/game advertising and one guy who used the latter was making (apparently) hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Did you jailbreak your phone yet? Intend to?

CollidgeGraduit

20-08-2009 03:13:05

[quoted90012ce26="theysayjump"]I was tempted (very tempted) to sell my 3G and get the 3GS, but by the time a new one comes out next June I'll be upgrade-eligible so I'll get all of the goodness of the 3GS and whatever is in the new-fangled one too. D[/quoted90012ce26]

I did the same thing! I could have gotten the 3GS and extended my contract, but I figured the 3GS wasn't that much better than the 3G, and that I would regret it when the new one came out. I ended up getting a 3G off Craigslist, and I'll upgrade once the new iPhone comes out next year

mistertomlinson

20-08-2009 05:27:19

3GS is motherfarkin' awesomes. I could never go back to the 3G after getting so accustomed to the insanely fast load times. You definitely made the best choice. Apple has the mobile market on lockdown.

I've always thought this sounded like a useful app... I got the idea when a friend of mine mentioned using his iPhone as an alarm to wake him up. Make an iPhone alarm application that networks with your iTunes library on your desktop (much louder speakers) via WiFi that will obviously start music on your desktop at the designated time. "iAlarm?" I also thought a neat optional feature that could be enabled if interested would be the inability to silence the alarm without getting up to stop the track from your computer. Just an idea... if you don't use it when designing your first application, I'm going to be unbelievably offended.

EDIT I also thought a really great idea would be an application with a series of buttons that when touched, would produce varying sounds of human flatulence.

dmorris68

20-08-2009 05:27:48

[quoteba4c5479ac="theysayjump"]I also read an article comparing the difference between charging for an app or giving away for free but having in app/game advertising and one guy who used the latter was making (apparently) hundreds of thousands of dollars.[/quoteba4c5479ac]
Don't think I'd be interested here. I'm sure if I get into it I'll be releasing some free apps, but for a revenue stream I'm just not a fan of ad-supported software on a phone. I'd probably take the approach of releasing a free, limited version, then charge for an enhanced version

[quoteba4c5479ac="theysayjump"]Did you jailbreak your phone yet? Intend to?[/quoteba4c5479ac]
Nope and nope. I intend to remain a "legitimate" iPhone user for now. The only thing jailbreaking would really do for me is to allow for non-Mac development (which is still somewhat of a PITA without a Mac) and allow me to use Cydia and other unauthorized apps -- but it would put a major damper on a revenue stream, since only like 5% of iPhone users jailbreak. Everybody else goes to the App Store. And as a "certified" iPhone developer I wouldn't want to take a chance on jailbreaking screwing that up.

I did however download the configuration profile that enables tethering. AT&T is supposed to officially support tethering any day now, but folks have already figured out how to configure it and do it now. Doesn't require jailbreaking or unlocking or anything else too low-level.

If things don't work out or I lose interest in officially developing apps, then I'll look at jailbreaking at that point.

[quoteba4c5479ac="CollidgeGraduit"][quoteba4c5479ac="theysayjump"]I was tempted (very tempted) to sell my 3G and get the 3GS, but by the time a new one comes out next June I'll be upgrade-eligible so I'll get all of the goodness of the 3GS and whatever is in the new-fangled one too. D[/quoteba4c5479ac]

I did the same thing! I could have gotten the 3GS and extended my contract, but I figured the 3GS wasn't that much better than the 3G, and that I would regret it when the new one came out. I ended up getting a 3G off Craigslist, and I'll upgrade once the new iPhone comes out next year[/quoteba4c5479ac]
Well I hear ya on the yearly advance thing, but I have to say the 3GS is lisignificantlyli better than a 3G. It's why I avoided iPhone until now.

- The processor is much faster
- Hardware compass now so location/bearing/navigation code actually works without having to keep moving
- Voice command/dialing
- Official tethering (although this may be offered for the 3G too, I'm not sure)
- Larger capacity (32GB) available

and I think there are some other improvements I can't recall. I've heard from a few 3G owners who have tried a 3GS and were impressed.

mistertomlinson

20-08-2009 05:36:04

As for jailbreaking... I think it's worth it to get rid of that ugly ass default home screen... and the five icon dock sure looks nice (better distinguishes the dock from the rest of the apps). Oh, and tell me you ain't diggin' the at&t carrier logo up top.

http//i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/mistertomlinson/photo-2.jpg[" alt=""/img13a34587de]

EDIT Don't forget the ogliomorpahtenic coating on the 3GS. If you've owned the 3G I'm sure you can't stand how greasy it can get at times, especially after a good long conversation with the warm phone held against your sweaty face. With the coating, I really notice 75% less oil and whatever oil I do find is easily wiped off with a swipe against my shirt as opposed to the 3G which would require warm breath... vigorous rub against shirt... warm breath... a couple swipes against shirt and finally a polish between shirt while held between your fingers.

dmorris68

20-08-2009 06:35:19

[quote1aed7be6bd="mistertomlinson"]I've always thought this sounded like a useful app... I got the idea when a friend of mine mentioned using his iPhone as an alarm to wake him up. Make an iPhone alarm application that networks with your iTunes library on your desktop (much louder speakers) via WiFi that will obviously start music on your desktop at the designated time. "iAlarm?" I also thought a neat optional feature that could be enabled if interested would be the inability to silence the alarm without getting up to stop the track from your computer. Just an idea... if you don't use it when designing your first application, I'm going to be unbelievably offended.[/quote1aed7be6bd]
Interesting idea, I'll add it to the list. Not sure how controllable iTunes will be directly from a WiFi connection, but a helper app you install on the PC would probably make things a lot easier.

[quote1aed7be6bd="mistertomlinson"]EDIT I also thought a really great idea would be an application with a series of buttons that when touched, would produce varying sounds of human flatulence.[/quote1aed7be6bd]
My sarcasm meter is in the fritz so forgive me if you're not serious, but I lost count of the number of iPhone fart apps (and other disgusting noise generators) I've heard of, so I doubt I could corner that market.

mistertomlinson

20-08-2009 17:50:07

wink

theysayjump

20-08-2009 22:11:50

I love my 5 Icon Dock as well as my ability to try any app before paying for it, and as far as I'm concerned it's justified. Since there's no way (for the most part) to try out apps for a certain period of time to see if you like it, this way I can download the app for free, try it out and then decide if I want to pay for it, which I've done with a few apps. If it's not worth the money I'll just delete it.

Plus the extra features you get with SBSettings and such are worth it too, like hiding icons, freeing up memory, quickly toggling Wifi/3G/Edge, as well as the power options, and the must-have camera replacement Snapture.

@mistertomlinson Did you use Winterboard to change the background image and get the carrier logo?

Also, for anyone else, what apps do you use the most? For me it's

Groups (Contact management)
Snapture (camera replacement)
Facebook
Twittelator
ToDo
WeatherBug
Byline (RSS reader)
Mint.com
Spend (money tracker)
Guitar Toolkit
Flixster
SBSettings
IM+

mistertomlinson

21-08-2009 05:36:49

[quote4f91c7a198="theysayjump"]I love my 5 Icon Dock as well as my ability to try any app before paying for it, and as far as I'm concerned it's justified. Since there's no way (for the most part) to try out apps for a certain period of time to see if you like it, this way I can download the app for free, try it out and then decide if I want to pay for it, which I've done with a few apps. If it's not worth the money I'll just delete it.

Plus the extra features you get with SBSettings and such are worth it too, like hiding icons, freeing up memory, quickly toggling Wifi/3G/Edge, as well as the power options, and the must-have camera replacement Snapture.

@mistertomlinson Did you use Winterboard to change the background image and get the carrier logo?

Also, for anyone else, what apps do you use the most? For me it's

Groups (Contact management)
Snapture (camera replacement)
Facebook
Twittelator
ToDo
WeatherBug
Byline (RSS reader)
Mint.com
Spend (money tracker)
Guitar Toolkit
Flixster
SBSettings
IM+[/quote4f91c7a198]

I did use Winterboard for the theme and carrier logo. The carrier logo, if interested is called something along the lines of "at&t carrier logo" P and I don't recall needing a source that wasn't included with Cydia. As for the "Panther" theme (including background image), that's one of the first themes ever for the iPhone. It was included with SummerBoard way back when, but for some reason, no one continued distributing it when WinterBoard came out and SB was discontinued. It is still my favorite theme to date. I consider it the way the home screen should have looked out of the box... dock and all. The only way I know to find it is to download the original SummerBoard app on your desktop and take the theme out yourself and SSH it into your iPhone.

... and apps I use most

RunKeeper
FitPhone
BeeJive
Guitar ToolKit [i4f91c7a198](is the shit. I play in alternate tunings and am constantly tuning)[/i4f91c7a198]
Checkbook [i4f91c7a198](Finally, Wachovia has stopped charging me overdraft fees!)[/i4f91c7a198]
SBSettings

Favorite games
Fayju Ball [i4f91c7a198](Labyrinth on steroids)[/i4f91c7a198]
Topple
Need for Speed Undercover
Zombieville USA

EDIT Oh shit nasty! Gangstar West Coast Hustler was just released. Downloading now. If you don't know, it's the first real GTA clone for the iphone... 3D!

http//toucharcade.com/2009/08/21/gangstar-west-coast-hustle-its-hot-yo/

mistertomlinson

25-08-2009 19:33:16

Oh... another app idea. I forgot all about this one. A "learn-a-lick" app for the iPhone. I've actually used my iPhone to learn guitar parts to certain songs, so I would actually use this myself. You know those solos and other parts of a song that are just too fast to learn. 3.0 gives you access to your music library, so you could easily access them, then just figure out how to slow them down without altering the pitch. I've used Audacity in this manner forever. Works like a charm. I think it'd be one of the simpler apps to write with a pretty decent market. Just create a nice icon and sleek UI and I think it'd do well.

J4320

25-08-2009 23:08:11

Best iPhone game

Zombieville USA

mistertomlinson

26-08-2009 00:39:49

I need to start playing that game more. I never got the chainsaw and flamethrower. (

I hear Inkvaders is the same thing, but with aliens.

mistertomlinson

26-08-2009 00:46:45

[quoteaa496f61f6="mistertomlinson"]I need to start playing that game more. I never got the chainsaw and flamethrower. (

I hear Inkvaders is the same thing, but with aliens.[/quoteaa496f61f6]

I've really been enjoying Doodle Flight.

http//i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/mistertomlinson" alt=""/img_0038.png[/img="aa496f61f6] [imgaa496f61f6]http//i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/mistertomlinson" alt=""/img_0039-1.png[/imgaa496f61f6]

theysayjump

26-08-2009 08:43:04

I tried playing Doodle Jump and couldn't get into it.

mistertomlinson

26-08-2009 16:48:16

[quotea0c6951341="theysayjump"]I tried playing Doodle Jump and couldn't get into it.[/quotea0c6951341]

I only got it because they give you the ability to illustrate your own ship which allowed me to create one of superior aerodynamics compared to the stock ships.

Admin

29-08-2009 02:00:19

there are only two apps for remote desktop (rdp) on the iphone
1) is a crappy app all around, missing lots of essential features
2) is a nicely made app, but still in v1, missing simple stuff like sending the 'shift' key. i've emailed the developer and he claims to be working on it, but that was like 6 months ago

so. being as this is the only app i've paid more than a few dollars for ($12.99) i think it's a good opportunity to step in with a product that kicks the butt of these two existing ones, and maybe add vnc and/or ssh to it for completeness. there are a lot of us that use rdp in our day to day and find it really useful on the iphone.

theysayjump

29-08-2009 05:14:17

Have you tried LogMeIn?

I pissed around with it and it worked pretty well, but then that was only for about 10 minutes and it's not something I use regularly, so it could a pile of wank.

Admin

30-08-2009 03:25:17

pile of wank as far as i know

the software for rdp is built into windows xp pro, vista biz and ultimate, and windows server products. logmein needs a separate client and (afaik) a monthly fee. even if it's free i doubt it's as good as rdp.

Twon

30-08-2009 06:39:41

if you like to workout, ifitness is pretty cool. You can make your own workouts and track your progress.

dmorris68

03-09-2009 21:40:20

[quotea6e6a4353b="Admin"]there are only two apps for remote desktop (rdp) on the iphone
1) is a crappy app all around, missing lots of essential features
2) is a nicely made app, but still in v1, missing simple stuff like sending the 'shift' key. i've emailed the developer and he claims to be working on it, but that was like 6 months ago

so. being as this is the only app i've paid more than a few dollars for ($12.99) i think it's a good opportunity to step in with a product that kicks the butt of these two existing ones, and maybe add vnc and/or ssh to it for completeness. there are a lot of us that use rdp in our day to day and find it really useful on the iphone.[/quotea6e6a4353b]
Funny you mention this, it's an idea that occurred to me just a couple of days ago. I hadn't looked at what was available, but was sure it had been attempted at least. I need to look into the RDP and VNC protocols to see what it would take. There are enough open-source implementations of both so getting my hands on sample code to see how it's done should not be a problem. I just have to find time -- just got back from vacation and trying to play catch-up, so I've not had much time to play with it.

EatChex89

16-09-2009 13:11:16

How easy is it to pry open the mac mini?

dmorris68

17-09-2009 05:06:03

[quote1b9ff81a0c="EatChex89"]How easy is it to pry open the mac mini?[/quote1b9ff81a0c]
Easier than I thought it would be, after reading some horror stories written by some obviously repair-challenged or OCD people. Apparently some have really mangled their Mini by being too ham-fisted with the putty knife or something.

Took me like 30 seconds. You can Google for instructions and videos. I grabbed a wide putty knife from the garage, cleaned it up good, used a utility knife blade to start an opening on each side, slid in the putty knife, pry. Piece of cake. Putting it back together was almost harder because the cover has to be aligned just right and pressed down slowly and evenly, but take your time and start over if you have to, and it'll work fine.

mistertomlinson

24-09-2009 19:02:25

Bumpin' because I just found a few really nice apps that I think deserve mentioning (All of which require a jailbroken iPhone).

Tlert is awesome. I've used the trial and am so impressed, I'm thinking about coming off the whopping $5 that'll surely make getting through the next week extremely difficult, financially.

It's another one of those "respond to texts instantly" apps that doesn't require launching Messages.app to do so. It's the UI that makes it so damn appealing. You receive notifications in ANY app and they are "non-intrusive" as they take up much less room compared to the default notification, so it's less likely to interrupt what you're doing. It displays these notifications in these really clean looking chat bubbles, similar to the bubbles used when texting within the Messages application. The bubble simply slides out of the side of your screen. If you don't wanna respond, just tap the small circle in the corner of the bubble. To reply, tap the bubble and your reply bubble appears below it on the opposite side of the screen in another color, which is configurable.

http//www.rockyourphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d//T/l/TlertWeb1.png[" alt=""/imge2c4f267bc][img="e2c4f267bc]http//www.rockyourphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d//T/l/TlertWeb2.png[" alt=""/imge2c4f267bc][img="e2c4f267bc]http//www.rockyourphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d//T/l/TlertWeb4.png[" alt=""/imge2c4f267bc][img="e2c4f267bc]http//www.rockyourphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d//T/l/TlertWeb6b.png[" alt=""/imge2c4f267bc]

There is one downside to this app (and the app I'm gonna mention next), which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker It requires installing RockYourPhone, which is just another alternative to Cydia. It's not BAD, per se and the developers boast it's actually faster than the other distribution apps... I just prefer having a choice as to whether or not it's installed. From what I can tell, they offer more pay apps than anything else... and there's a rating system. But, Cydia is really all I need. I suppose I could always "hide" the icon.

The next app is eLert. There's not a whole lot to it and it's only $.99. The app simply displays Growl notifications when you receive an email (which is particularly useful considering Gmail just got push support via GoogleSync... finally). The Growl bubble appears at the lower right side of your screen and displays the sender, subject and a small preview of the body of the email. This too require RYP.

[img="e2c4f267bc]http//www.rockyourphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d//E/l/ElertScreenshot1.png[" alt=""/imge2c4f267bc][img="e2c4f267bc]http//www.rockyourphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d//E/l/ElertScreenshot2.png[" alt=""/imge2c4f267bc]

The last app I don't use, nor do I plan on using qTweeter. It's an app for updating your Tweeter and FaceBook accounts... I figure if I don't socialize in real life, why the hell would I do it online?!

A friend of mine uses it and told me all about it. When I saw the screenshots, I decided if I DID wanna tell everybody just how many hours of the day I spend crying in front of my computer via FaceBook/Tweeter, I would definitely use it.

You invoke the app similar to SBSettings, by swiping along the status bar up top. You swipe across for SBSettings and down for qTweeter. That friend says he has no trouble opening it either, so conflict between the two isn't an issue.

Of course, you can use the qTweeter within any application, so you don't have to quit what you're doing and can resume your activities without having to relaunch anything. From my understanding, it's only for updating your gayness and you can't actually view anything someone's recently "wrote on your wall" or whatever the fuck it is. But it looks damn nice.
[img="e2c4f267bc]http//www.efksoft.com/products/qtweeterforiphone" alt=""/img/a.jpg[/imge2c4f267bc]
[img="e2c4f267bc]http//www.efksoft.com/products/qtweeterforiphone" alt=""/img/pic2.jpg[/imge2c4f267bc]

(If I've offended anyone, I didn't mean to. I'm only being silly and I realize I'm in the minority here. Just ignore me.)

TryinToGetPaid

25-09-2009 10:21:51

High thought I know they have it where they can tell how high your iPhone is thrown into the air, so I am sure they can make it to tell how fast your are going. Is there an app that would lock text messaging over say....5 mph? That way, no texting in the car unless you are at a red light!

ilanbg

25-09-2009 11:10:42

[quote0246c4a7af="TryinToGetPaid"]High thought I know they have it where they can tell how high your iPhone is thrown into the air, so I am sure they can make it to tell how fast your are going. Is there an app that would lock text messaging over say....5 mph? That way, no texting in the car unless you are at a red light![/quote0246c4a7af]

u maek no sence

mistertomlinson

25-09-2009 15:17:40

[quote5bdff3de5f="TryinToGetPaid"]High thought I know they have it where they can tell how high your iPhone is thrown into the air, so I am sure they can make it to tell how fast your are going. Is there an app that would lock text messaging over say....5 mph? That way, no texting in the car unless you are at a red light![/quote5bdff3de5f]

You know, that is actually ingenious! It's too bad there's no way for the iPhone to distinguish between driver and passenger.

ilanbg

25-09-2009 16:26:00

Or for it to track speed while inside a car...

guelah75

25-09-2009 17:14:26

i would like an app that when the iphone is connected to the computer
and you receive text message/phone call/push notification the
message would be displayed as a system tray pop-up or growl notification

not sure if possible but if said app was around 2.99 price point I would buy it

mistertomlinson

25-09-2009 18:14:09

[quote7223ceac1c="ilanbg"]Or for it to track speed while inside a car...[/quote7223ceac1c]

Huh? The iPhone can track your speed in a car... Not only are there numerous turn-by-turn navigation apps that do it, but there are a few miscellaneous apps that do it as well... rather accurately, I might add.

BTW, this video is hilarious!

theysayjump

25-09-2009 21:56:38

[quotec37f43c214="TryinToGetPaid"]High thought I know they have it where they can tell how high your iPhone is thrown into the air, so I am sure they can make it to tell how fast your are going. Is there an app that would lock text messaging over say....5 mph? That way, no texting in the car unless you are at a red light![/quotec37f43c214]

You should get high more often, that's a pretty fucking clever idea.

The only thing is though that it would have to have complete control over the messaging system, which may prove difficult.

ilanbg

25-09-2009 23:28:54

[quote6d4b017aa1="theysayjump"][quote6d4b017aa1="TryinToGetPaid"]High thought I know they have it where they can tell how high your iPhone is thrown into the air, so I am sure they can make it to tell how fast your are going. Is there an app that would lock text messaging over say....5 mph? That way, no texting in the car unless you are at a red light![/quote6d4b017aa1]

You should get high more often, that's a pretty fucking clever idea.

The only thing is though that it would have to have complete control over the messaging system, which may prove difficult.[/quote6d4b017aa1]

What if it just disabled the keyboard?

lol but what if you are jogging and trying to text at the same time? No laws against that!

ilikegreens

26-09-2009 15:20:21

I am pretty sure running and texting would be a considerably difficult task, maybe walking, lol.

mistertomlinson

26-09-2009 16:53:02

I can perform gymnastics while texting 8-)

TryinToGetPaid

26-09-2009 19:52:36

Can you run at 5mph and text? Didnt think so. Yeah, I was super stoned and listening to Brand New and for some reason this thread popped into my head, and the idea pooped out, and yeah pooped. Not popped.

Admin

29-09-2009 17:19:35

hey david forget about the rdp thing, the decent app i spoke about got a price cut because there is a new app (jaadu rdp) which is just about perfect as far as i can tell. so if nothing else you'd be entering a tough market. if you were willing to do the work to make a quality product you could sell a lot at $1.99 or $0.99 (as i understand it, apps at this price point make up the majority of sales)

J4320

30-09-2009 01:42:23

[quotea2881585b2="Twon"]if you like to workout, ifitness is pretty cool. You can make your own workouts and track your progress.[/quotea2881585b2]

Oooooh I'm gonna use this. I like it. Thanks for mentioning it. +karma

mistertomlinson

30-09-2009 08:11:03

D-Mo, quick! A Black Friday "deal tracking" app. I don't know how much work it would take, but it's nearing that time if year. Maybe enter your zip code and BAM... all the Black Friday ads in your area. Maybe make the app free, but ad supported. Every time someone taps a BF ad, you make a little money.

dmorris68

05-10-2009 10:25:11

[quote10c32494be="Admin"]hey david forget about the rdp thing, the decent app i spoke about got a price cut because there is a new app (jaadu rdp) which is just about perfect as far as i can tell. so if nothing else you'd be entering a tough market. if you were willing to do the work to make a quality product you could sell a lot at $1.99 or $0.99 (as i understand it, apps at this price point make up the majority of sales)[/quote10c32494be]
Yeah, I had kinda put that idea on the back burner because it was pretty advanced and there were several already on the market. Right now I'm looking for quick hits that are easy to implement and either haven't been done (much) or are easy to improve upon. My son-in-law has given me a pretty good list that I'm working through and prioritizing now, but I just haven't had much time to dig into coding yet.

[quote10c32494be="mistertomlinson"]D-Mo, quick! A Black Friday "deal tracking" app. I don't know how much work it would take, but it's nearing that time if year. Maybe enter your zip code and BAM... all the Black Friday ads in your area. Maybe make the app free, but ad supported. Every time someone taps a BF ad, you make a little money.[/quote10c32494be]
Sounds interesting in theory, and the app itself would be pretty trivial, but I'd have some concerns about logistics (you'd have to host and maintain the ads on a server somewhere), and one would have to be careful not to get into that shady legal area of leaked BF ads -- which probably doesn't apply here since you seem to be suggesting something to guide you around BF sales in real-time on the day itself, but inevitably somebody would want it. So just to support it for one day out of the year seems like a lot of work for a very short period of usefulness.