Firefox randomly loosing cookies?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78598

JennyWren

21-03-2009 01:04:01

So the last few days I've been having an issue with my FireFox. It seems that at random times I lose all my login cookies (e.g. login to A4F, FIPG, etc). It doesn't seem to be necessarily related to how much time has passed.

Example, I've had to relogin to A4F about 4 times today, even though I keep selecting "keep me logged in". I just came home after being out of the house for several hours, and went to A4F, and I didn't have to relogin. Then I went to a different website, then a couple of minutes later came back to A4F and I was logged out. WTF? Anyone had a similar issue? I haven't changed anything but I think FF recently updated itself.

lieditli once I lose any login cookie, I lose them all. Very frustrating, I have to re-enter passwords for all the sites I visit.

liedit againli may have found a solution, will report back

TFOAF

21-03-2009 07:30:37

Try clearing all of your cache, and cookies. Sometimes that happens if there's too much cache, lol.

CollidgeGraduit

21-03-2009 11:51:56

That's what my neighbor suggested too, lol

DRay9911

21-03-2009 15:19:27

[quotef03322b2d7="JennyWren"]lieditli once I lose any login cookie, I lose them all. Very frustrating, I have to re-enter passwords for all the [bf03322b2d7]brazzers [/bf03322b2d7]sites I visit.[/quotef03322b2d7]

made more accurater

-dan

JennyWren

21-03-2009 19:02:22

LULz.

Problem is solved. My cookies.txt and cookies.sqlite files had become corrupted, deleting them and restarting FireFox fixed it.

SkatingCrippled

22-03-2009 09:08:09

I'm having the exact same problem; how did you delete those files?

manOFice

22-03-2009 11:36:21

[quoteea6ca63c0c="SkatingCrippled"]I'm having the exact same problem; how did you delete those files?[/quoteea6ca63c0c]

I assume, do a windows search and just delete the files when found.

dmorris68

23-03-2009 07:33:42

I probably should do the same cleanup then. Mine isn't that bad, but lately it's been happening about every week or so.

JennyWren

23-03-2009 10:35:03

They are in

C\Documents and Settings\<your>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

There will be some folder in there with a weird name, the two files are in there. Note that the folder "Application Data" is a hidden folder, to view hidden folders click Tools->Folder Options->View and click the button next to "Show hidden files".

To do this, close all FireFox windows, go to that folder, delete those two files, then restart FireFox. You'll have to re-enter your login details for your sites, but they should "stick" after that.

SkatingCrippled

23-03-2009 13:01:08

Okay, thanks for the explanation. Now I'm slightly (I'd say 8%) computer illiterate when it comes to finding files. How exactly do I get there? I tried to do a Windows Search but I couldn't find the cookies.txt and cookies.sqlite files.

Thanks again for helping me out.

JennyWren

23-03-2009 17:04:32

You should be able to just copy and paste that into the address bar of any open folder, or navigate there from windows explorer.

Alternately, just open "My Computer", then double-click your C drive (or whichever drive you have Windows installed on), then double-click "Documents and Settings", then double-click your username (might just be Administrator or Default User). If you don't see a folder called Application Data follow what I said above for showing hidden files. Then double-click Application Data, double-click Mozilla, double-click Firefox, double-click Profiles, and double-click the folder you find there. Inside that folder you should find the two files which you can delete (the cookies files).

SkatingCrippled

23-03-2009 17:34:25

[quote317cf650e9="JennyWren"]You should be able to just copy and paste that into the address bar of any open folder, or navigate there from windows explorer.

Alternately, just open "My Computer", then double-click your C drive (or whichever drive you have Windows installed on), then double-click "Documents and Settings", then double-click your username (might just be Administrator or Default User). If you don't see a folder called Application Data follow what I said above for showing hidden files. Then double-click Application Data, double-click Mozilla, double-click Firefox, double-click Profiles, and double-click the folder you find there. Inside that folder you should find the two files which you can delete (the cookies files).[/quote317cf650e9]

Excellent, thank you very much. I found the cookies.sqlite but not the cookies.txt in the folder.

I deleted the Sqlite, and now the cookies work just fine.

Again, thank you for helping me out.

TFOAF

23-03-2009 19:39:30

Use CCleaner. I always use that, and it cleans everything up for you. )

It's free.

http//www.ccleaner.com/