Firewire 6 pin to 4 pin

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78539

phriq

05-03-2009 23:20:23

Hello Everyone.

I was wondering if there was a difference between transfer speeds between 6 pin firewire ends and 4 pin.... I will be getting an audio interface that's firewire and it uses a 6 pin cable, but my computer only has a 4 pin slot. I was going to purchase a 6 pin to 4 pin cable... Will I loose anything in terms of transfer speeds or are they identical just with different ends?

Thanks!

dmorris68

06-03-2009 07:22:20

Speed is the same. Both are Firewire 400 connections. The 6-pin connector just carries extra power.

Normally, the PC (unless a laptop) has a 6-pin connector while smaller devices, like camcorders or media players, have the more compact 4-pin connector. However if your device uses a 6-pin connector, it might be because it requires additional power that it won't get from a 4-pin connector on your PC. You'll want to check with the device manufacturer or other users to confirm it will work with the lower powered 4-pin PC connection.

phriq

09-03-2009 07:46:42

[quotefa7626c651="dmorris68"]Speed is the same. Both are Firewire 400 connections. The 6-pin connector just carries extra power.

Normally, the PC (unless a laptop) has a 6-pin connector while smaller devices, like camcorders or media players, have the more compact 4-pin connector. However if your device uses a 6-pin connector, it might be because it requires additional power that it won't get from a 4-pin connector on your PC. You'll want to check with the device manufacturer or other users to confirm it will work with the lower powered 4-pin PC connection.[/quotefa7626c651]

Thanks dmorris! I have called the manufacturer and it will work with both. It comes with an external power supply as well. It's an audio interface for recording. Thanks for the info!