Joining Video Files?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78280

TFOAF

21-01-2009 16:23:43

What software can I use to join video files quickly without quality loss?

I tried using Adobe Premier Pro, and it used the Media Encoder to re-encode everything and it took about eight hours on a really fast computer to join 5 video files of 300 MB in size. I've used other software that takes about 15 minutes, set it to best quality, but the quality is still poor.

doylnea

21-01-2009 18:51:35

Windows Movie Maker

TFOAF

21-01-2009 22:33:31

For some reason that takes forever as well!

hehehhehe

22-01-2009 04:54:32

It would help if you told us what kind of video files (format) they are. If they are different kinds (format, resolution), some re-encoding is inevitable.

TFOAF

22-01-2009 10:40:57

It's like split video files from the same video, all the same resolution and format, which is why re-encoding shouldn't be required. They are WMVs, sometimes AVI, but if it's all from the same movie, it's all the same format/resolution.

guelah75

22-01-2009 17:00:22

convert X to dvd will join the files I believe

still may need to re-encode though

TFOAF

22-01-2009 17:30:39

Without quality loss? Because everything I used, including Windows Movie Maker, except Adobe Premier Pro does it with a lot of quality loss.

hehehhehe

22-01-2009 19:33:21

If some are wmv (codec) and some avi (container), they are most likely not the same format, unless someone used the avi wrapper for a wmv file. Google and find a way to figure out a way to find out exactly what formats the files (gspot?). Do us a favor and make sure they are all the same format before asking for a way to merge them without quality loss (please don't turn this into the typical foafy t-t-t-tech yourself thread). If they aren't the same format, try one of the suggestions already given here.

guelah75

22-01-2009 19:35:17

not sure about the quality loss, I haven't ever needed to join video files, but i know the option is there.

Also I think there was a recent episode of Systm about this, maybe some of the apps they used may help you out as well

http//revision3.com/systm/dvdripping/

"For PC owners your choices are bit more varied. Along with the PC version of HandBrake, you can also use the AutoGK. It's a GUI front end for a several different open source video transcoding tools that let you harness their power without the tedious need to jump from one app to another each time. AutoGK is great especially for fans of DivX and Xvid encoding. Finally there's AutoMKV. Like AutoGK, AutoMKV is a GUI front end for various tools that are used. The benefit of AutoMKV is it's higher level of tweakability and output format diversity.

And if you run into unexpected problems VideoHelp.com offers a wealth of resources and advice for any video encoding, transcoding or formatting issue. "

TFOAF

23-01-2009 08:40:24

[quoteaf8f00f3f8="hehehhehe"]If some are wmv (codec) and some avi (container), they are most likely not the same format, unless someone used the avi wrapper for a wmv file. Google and find a way to figure out a way to find out exactly what formats the files (gspot?). Do us a favor and make sure they are all the same format before asking for a way to merge them without quality loss (please don't turn this into the typical foafy t-t-t-tech yourself thread). If they aren't the same format, try one of the suggestions already given here.[/quoteaf8f00f3f8]
What I meant was sometimes when I do it, all of them are WMVs, and sometimes all of them are AVIs...I don't mix 'em. Sorry to confuse you.
[quoteaf8f00f3f8="guelah75"]not sure about the quality loss, I haven't ever needed to join video files, but i know the option is there.

Also I think there was a recent episode of Systm about this, maybe some of the apps they used may help you out as well

http//revision3.com/systm/dvdripping/

"For PC owners your choices are bit more varied. Along with the PC version of HandBrake, you can also use the AutoGK. It's a GUI front end for a several different open source video transcoding tools that let you harness their power without the tedious need to jump from one app to another each time. AutoGK is great especially for fans of DivX and Xvid encoding. Finally there's AutoMKV. Like AutoGK, AutoMKV is a GUI front end for various tools that are used. The benefit of AutoMKV is it's higher level of tweakability and output format diversity.

And if you run into unexpected problems VideoHelp.com offers a wealth of resources and advice for any video encoding, transcoding or formatting issue. "[/quoteaf8f00f3f8]
Thanks for your help.

hehehhehe

23-01-2009 16:42:00

If you google wmv joiner or avi joiner, you'll see a crapload of options. I've used virtualdub to do this. Good luck.

mnx12

24-01-2009 03:46:47

I use Boilsoft Video Joiner. It takes like 10 seconds since it doesn't re-encode, like your wanting.

hawke12

24-01-2009 08:01:06

[quote22209b98e3="hehehhehe"]If you google wmv joiner or avi joiner, you'll see a crapload of options. I've used virtualdub to do this. Good luck.[/quote22209b98e3]

I second this, and recommend it. It has a video and audio encoding passthrough, so it doesn't touch the video itself. It just appends each video clip to the last one, and outputs one video file.

Try http//www.videohelp.com/

This is where I learned how to use virtual dub.

Hope this helps )