Wiping a computer

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78222

mookieb2

13-01-2009 15:32:52

I got an email trojan horse virsus on my church (where I work) desktop and I need to wipe it clean I guess.

It has diabled my system restore, cut me pff from the internet, and avg can't get rid of it. I also used a reg. cleaner and a ccleaner to try and clear things out.

My problem is that I can't find a step by step guide on how to wipe clean a pc. I have the original xp disks to reinstall and I've removed anything that I might want to keep onto a flash drive. So whatever is left on the pc can go away forever with no major losses.

Can someone post how to do this in a step by step guide for a newb?

Thank you in advance.

Jason

TFOAF

13-01-2009 15:47:58

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=475479#475479

I wrote that over two years ago, but that should help you, hah.

Just make sure you boot your computer with your Windows installation CD and select "System Recovery Console."

Then follow my steps.

dmorris68

13-01-2009 16:37:49

I wouldn't even bother trying to recover things with Recovery Console, it's not necessary for a fresh install which is what you're asking about.

Just boot from the Windows CD and go through the installation process. When you get to the part where it asks you where to install, choose C\Windows (assuming that's where the old installation was) and it will warn you that an OS already exists there. You'll have the option of formatting that drive/partition, or repairing the installation. Tell it to format (the Quick Format is fine, otherwise it will take a long time) and proceed with the installation.

manOFice

13-01-2009 17:10:41

[quote428cb08e6c="dmorris68"]I wouldn't even bother trying to recover things with Recovery Console, it's not necessary for a fresh install which is what you're asking about.

Just boot from the Windows CD and go through the installation process. When you get to the part where it asks you where to install, choose C\Windows (assuming that's where the old installation was) and it will warn you that an OS already exists there. You'll have the option of formatting that drive/partition, or repairing the installation. Tell it to format (the Quick Format is fine, otherwise it will take a long time) and proceed with the installation.[/quote428cb08e6c]

Yep that's what I would recommend.

mookieb2

13-01-2009 19:42:20

Thanks fellas, will try it tomorrow and post the results.