How to make an iphone application~

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78045

ilikegreens

16-12-2008 15:41:08

Hey guys, me being an iphone user, I have seen all the thousands of cool basic and some very interesting applications out there. People will pay $1 for a simple game like tic tac toe. I was just curious, does anyone here know how or the basics to create a simple, basic iphone application. I have a few good ideas for an app/s that would definately be useful, then some that are more fun. Some of which don't require anything but words. Please if anyone knows how, or can lead me in the direction of how, that would be great. Not looking for links, mainly looking for knowledge from somewhere here that already knows how to make one.

dmorris68

16-12-2008 16:12:39

I haven't developed iPhone apps, but I looked into doing so when the SDK was released and I was considering getting an iPhone. AFAIK there are two types of apps simple web based apps that run in Safari, and native binary apps made possible by the iPhone SDK. I'd guess you're referring to the latter.

To develop native apps using the SDK, you must use a Mac since the SDK is only available for OSX. While it's possible (with a lot of work) to hack together a toolchain under Linux, you won't be able to sign apps and submit them to the iPhone store -- they would only install and run on jailbroken iPhones. That would seriously hamper any attempt at marketing an application.

The language for native app development is Objective-C, an object-oriented derivative of C (and not to be confused with C++). It's not what I'd consider "entry level" programming, so if you haven't already cut your programming teeth on C, C++, C#, or Java, I would expect it to be quite challenging to even get started, much less develop a well-written and attractive application.

If, OTOH, you have a Mac and some coding experience, the world is your oyster. )

I'm thinking along the same lines except for the G1. Google has released a developer version of the G1, completely unlocked, carrier independent, with no contract for $399. The development language is Java (right up my alley) and their Eclipse toolchain and emulator package is awesome. A buddy (fellow Java coder) at work just ordered one. If his works out like I hope, I may sell the Fuze I just bought and get me one too. You get not only development libraries, but the source code to the Android OS itself, so you can not only write apps, but mod the phone itself however you wish. The Android app store is filling quickly with similar free and cheap applications, and he and I have discussed cashing in by writing some cheap apps before the market gets flooded.

guelah75

17-12-2008 03:03:41

Stanford put there iPhone Dev class on-line

http//www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/index.php

may help get you started

ilikegreens

17-12-2008 03:12:03

[quotea628caa748="dmorris68"]I haven't developed iPhone apps, but I looked into doing so when the SDK was released and I was considering getting an iPhone. AFAIK there are two types of apps simple web based apps that run in Safari, and native binary apps made possible by the iPhone SDK. I'd guess you're referring to the latter.

To develop native apps using the SDK, you must use a Mac since the SDK is only available for OSX. While it's possible (with a lot of work) to hack together a toolchain under Linux, you won't be able to sign apps and submit them to the iPhone store -- they would only install and run on jailbroken iPhones. That would seriously hamper any attempt at marketing an application.

The language for native app development is Objective-C, an object-oriented derivative of C (and not to be confused with C++). It's not what I'd consider "entry level" programming, so if you haven't already cut your programming teeth on C, C++, C#, or Java, I would expect it to be quite challenging to even get started, much less develop a well-written and attractive application.

If, OTOH, you have a Mac and some coding experience, the world is your oyster. )

I'm thinking along the same lines except for the G1. Google has released a developer version of the G1, completely unlocked, carrier independent, with no contract for $399. The development language is Java (right up my alley) and their Eclipse toolchain and emulator package is awesome. A buddy (fellow Java coder) at work just ordered one. If his works out like I hope, I may sell the Fuze I just bought and get me one too. You get not only development libraries, but the source code to the Android OS itself, so you can not only write apps, but mod the phone itself however you wish. The Android app store is filling quickly with similar free and cheap applications, and he and I have discussed cashing in by writing some cheap apps before the market gets flooded.[/quotea628caa748]

Thank you dmorris. You helped me realize that this will be a pain in the ass to do. LOL... I guess you need to know how to like write software and shit which Im not fmailiar with. Hmmm... To make it even worse, I run on PC with VISTA, No get rich quick idea for me (

doylnea

17-12-2008 06:07:57

[quote9810e22995="guelah75"]Stanford put there iPhone Dev class on-line

http//www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/index.php

may help get you started[/quote9810e22995]

MIT has done a similar thing, I believe, but I don't have the link close at hand.

dmorris68

17-12-2008 07:14:19

Yeah, it's not something a raw beginner to programming is going to be able to take off with. It's like jumping into the deep end of the pool.

And I mentioned Linux because it's much closer to OSX and uses the same tools, but I've also read how-to's on building a toolchain for Windows using Cygwin and GCC tools. It's a LOT more work though, and not for the faint of heart. Plus you still have the same obstacle to marketing your app, since you couldn't use the iPhone store. If you are interested in what it would take, here's a very good PDF article[=http//www.maxhorvath.com/documents/programming_for_iphone_using_l/eclipse-iphone-cdt.pdf]here's a very good PDF article from IBM that walks you through everything to develop iPhone apps on Linux or Windows, using Eclipse+CDT.

Hey, if it were easy, everybody and their dog would be doing it, and we'd be flooded with crap applications. ;)

If you had the programming experience and a good idea for a unique application, then it would be an easy decision to borrow or invest in a low-end Mac, perhaps used, to get started. Or if you had a buddy with programming skills, you could partner to develop and market your idea. You'd also need to spend at least $100 to join the iPhone Developer Program, which gets you the keys required to publish apps the to the iPhone store.

bballp6699

17-12-2008 07:36:06

If I find a dog that can program anything, I would pay for it. Even if it was a crap application.

ilikegreens

17-12-2008 11:14:49

[quotef7ea18668e="dmorris68"]Yeah, it's not something a raw beginner to programming is going to be able to take off with. It's like jumping into the deep end of the pool.

And I mentioned Linux because it's much closer to OSX and uses the same tools, but I've also read how-to's on building a toolchain for Windows using Cygwin and GCC tools. It's a LOT more work though, and not for the faint of heart. Plus you still have the same obstacle to marketing your app, since you couldn't use the iPhone store. If you are interested in what it would take, here's a very good PDF article[=http//www.maxhorvath.com/documents/programming_for_iphone_using_l/eclipse-iphone-cdt.pdf]here's a very good PDF article from IBM that walks you through everything to develop iPhone apps on Linux or Windows, using Eclipse+CDT.

Hey, if it were easy, everybody and their dog would be doing it, and we'd be flooded with crap applications. ;)

If you had the programming experience and a good idea for a unique application, then it would be an easy decision to borrow or invest in a low-end Mac, perhaps used, to get started. Or if you had a buddy with programming skills, you could partner to develop and market your idea. You'd also need to spend at least $100 to join the iPhone Developer Program, which gets you the keys required to publish apps the to the iPhone store.[/quotef7ea18668e]

Well... I heard that you submit your app to apple. And they accept lots of them. They dont deny that many. As long as they get a share they don't care really. Is that not true then? Is it really that hard to get it into the apple department and have them put it in the app store?

P.S Does anyone out there pay people for giving them ideas for an app. I have a very good idea. I might as well say it, but Im putting copyright tag on this one ;)

Anyways... I was thinking one just have some little majic trick, but 2nd idea, the good one, would be to create an app that consists for all those gamers out there of a cheat code database for all systems and as many games as I could get on it. Then you could just go on your iphone while your playing a game, go to the app, search the game and a list of games would be at your fingertips with all the cheats. I know this would be next to impossible, but that seemed like a good idea to me. Tell me what you guys think about that idea.

doylnea

17-12-2008 11:36:20

You could always post a project request at rentacoder, or scriptlance - there's also a similar site, just for aggregating iphone scripters, I believe, but forget the name of that site.

ilikegreens

17-12-2008 11:57:35

what do they do with the idea. Pay you? Or what? Like develop the app for you?

CollidgeGraduit

17-12-2008 12:35:20

I think you can rent a coder at RentACoder

doylnea

17-12-2008 13:50:47

That's preposterous, and you're an idiot. At rentacoder, they code a renter for your website. Duh.

ilikegreens

17-12-2008 14:21:34

[quotef1df76ed3d="ilikegreens"]what do they do with the idea. Pay you? Or what? Like develop the app for you?[/quotef1df76ed3d]

Can you please answer this question?

dmorris68

17-12-2008 14:54:52

[quote62f8049ae7="ilikegreens"]Well... I heard that you submit your app to apple. And they accept lots of them. They dont deny that many. As long as they get a share they don't care really. Is that not true then? Is it really that hard to get it into the apple department and have them put it in the app store?[/quote62f8049ae7]
After you've paid the $99+ and have been accepted into the iPhone Developer Program (and they don't accept ALL applications for membership, you have to meet some requirements like being 18+), then yes you can submit as many apps as you like. As long as the apps don't violate the SDK license and Apple's TOS, they won't typically deny them.

That would be the easy part -- actually developing the app is the hard part.

But the app you suggest about cheat codes would not be ideal as a client app anyway -- that fits perfectly into the web app model, and I'd be surprised if there isn't a site or three already out for this that caters to mobile browsers. If not, or if you want to compete, code it up on a web server, make people pay $5/year for membership or something, buy some AdWords, and off you go -- they can browse it on Safari. No expensive app-dev setup required, the skillset requirement is way lower (it's just web+database development), no need for membership into Apple's Dev program, and Apple doesn't take a cut.

Frankly though, and not to crap on your idea or anything, but I have a hard time believing this hasn't been done many times over already -- web sites with cheat code databases have been around about as long as web and cheat codes have been around, and for free. anybody with an iPhone almost certainly has a data plan and can already browse those sites for free any time they like. You'd have to provide something really unique to expect to market this and make any money.

CollidgeGraduit

17-12-2008 15:44:54

[quoted3497168e4="ilikegreens"][quoted3497168e4="ilikegreens"]what do they do with the idea. Pay you? Or what? Like develop the app for you?[/quoted3497168e4]

Can you please answer this question?[/quoted3497168e4]

I'll give you a hint. A store named RentAMovie would rent movies.

ilikegreens

17-12-2008 17:03:07

[quotebd5c558e76="dmorris68"][quotebd5c558e76="ilikegreens"]Well... I heard that you submit your app to apple. And they accept lots of them. They dont deny that many. As long as they get a share they don't care really. Is that not true then? Is it really that hard to get it into the apple department and have them put it in the app store?[/quotebd5c558e76]
After you've paid the $99+ and have been accepted into the iPhone Developer Program (and they don't accept ALL applications for membership, you have to meet some requirements like being 18+), then yes you can submit as many apps as you like. As long as the apps don't violate the SDK license and Apple's TOS, they won't typically deny them.

That would be the easy part -- actually developing the app is the hard part.

But the app you suggest about cheat codes would not be ideal as a client app anyway -- that fits perfectly into the web app model, and I'd be surprised if there isn't a site or three already out for this that caters to mobile browsers. If not, or if you want to compete, code it up on a web server, make people pay $5/year for membership or something, buy some AdWords, and off you go -- they can browse it on Safari. No expensive app-dev setup required, the skillset requirement is way lower (it's just web+database development), no need for membership into Apple's Dev program, and Apple doesn't take a cut.

Frankly though, and not to crap on your idea or anything, but I have a hard time believing this hasn't been done many times over already -- web sites with cheat code databases have been around about as long as web and cheat codes have been around, and for free. anybody with an iPhone almost certainly has a data plan and can already browse those sites for free any time they like. You'd have to provide something really unique to expect to market this and make any money.[/quotebd5c558e76]

Thanks for the help dmorris. Collegegraduate-not so much.

tylerc

17-12-2008 17:45:06

I really hope you're being sarcastic with CG not helping.

ilikegreens

17-12-2008 18:53:18

Yup, just jokin around.