FF3 Music embedding issue

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77536

zr2152

07-10-2008 18:39:15

Hey I'm trying to embed a mp3 file into my site template but for some reason it only works in IE and not FF3.

Any ideas?

TFOAF

07-10-2008 23:17:20

I don't think Firefox is capable of playing embedded music.

Do you mean you were doing it with "bgmusic"?

dmorris68

08-10-2008 05:19:36

Well, first of all, let me make this clear MOST PEOPLE HATE EMBEDDED MUSIC ON WEB PAGES! Especially if it auto-plays. That's like Web Etiquette 101. Just don't do it.

Now, with that said...

FF can certainly play embedded music, but it depends on the players/plugins installed. It's not something you can guarantee on every browser client. IE doesn't always play media either, especially when someone has been poking around with plugins or MIME types and messes something up.

The music that people put on their MySpace pages always plays for me in FF3 (much to my chagrin), and I'm pretty sure those are MP3's based on the track name, unless they've been transcoded by MySpace.

Since almost everyone has the Flash plugin installed, you might consider converting it to a Flash audio file, which would probably cover the widest audience. But again, I would recommend you not auto-play it. Give them a play button if they want to hear it.

zr2152

08-10-2008 08:13:50

[quotef8b094b3c9="dmorris68"]Well, first of all, let me make this clear MOST PEOPLE HATE EMBEDDED MUSIC ON WEB PAGES! Especially if it auto-plays. That's like Web Etiquette 101. Just don't do it.

Now, with that said...

FF can certainly play embedded music, but it depends on the players/plugins installed. It's not something you can guarantee on every browser client. IE doesn't always play media either, especially when someone has been poking around with plugins or MIME types and messes something up.

The music that people put on their MySpace pages always plays for me in FF3 (much to my chagrin), and I'm pretty sure those are MP3's based on the track name, unless they've been transcoded by MySpace.

Since almost everyone has the Flash plugin installed, you might consider converting it to a Flash audio file, which would probably cover the widest audience. But again, I would recommend you not auto-play it. Give them a play button if they want to hear it.[/quotef8b094b3c9]

Well I'm actually trying to embed it into the FSR script for somewhat of a cross promotional thingy that we are going to do with someone BUT I think the the encrypted files limit it to only being embedded in the CSS style sheet and not exactly where I want it to go. (

As far as the plugins, someone would need one to hear it correct? Or I guess that I could just give them a button.

TFOAF

08-10-2008 09:17:48

You could always do it via flash inside of a layer, and then hide it. P

JennyWren

13-11-2008 16:21:35

Can I still use embedding for Flash audio files (just use the embed tag with a different file format)? I'm coming across this same problem with my freediving app http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77749 ) which is working fine except the sounds which happen at various waypoints in the exercise are finicky depending on the browser. They're sort of the whole point of the software...