transfer hosting

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77337

doylnea

17-09-2008 12:32:28

I have about 6 sites hosted on hosting I bought as an offer. The renewal after a year, at it's cheapest is about $40 a month. For my uses, that's way too much money.

How would I go about transferring my sites (and particularly the mysql databases, etc) to a new host?

Thanks

JennyWren

17-09-2008 15:23:23

Not sure about the easiest way to transfer your sites (I always have a copy of my sites at home and FTP stuff back and forth). For MySQL if you have phpmyadmin you can use the Export feature to do a DB backup.

Let me know who you decide to go with for hosting. I'm curious to see what the pricing is like these days. I'm with DreamHost which is about $119 a year. If you need a discount code for it, let me know.

doylnea

17-09-2008 15:37:18

Thanks - I figured I'd use PhpmyAdmin. I have about two months before it comes due, but I don't want to be monkeying around with moving live DBs on the last two days of hosting...

chambo622

20-09-2008 19:55:37

If you're thinking about what company to transfer, consider 1and1...

I've used 1and1 for years, not because they're the cheapest (which they pretty much are) but because of all the features.

Even the home package is very robust, get the Linux Home package with 2 free domains included, mysql, tons of email and transfer volume, and great customer service. every time I call i'm connected instantly.

Domain registration is only 6.99 a year with [b63bc3d8b8e]private registration included.[/b63bc3d8b8e] Its surprisingly easy to transfer with them; however I've never transferred a domain to any other company, so I can't compare.

I have had 4 websites registered with 1and1 for about 3 years and have no regrets. they are an honest good company with great bang for the buck.

yes you knew it was coming...my 1and1 refferral link. http//www.1and1.com/?k_id=10052983[]http//www.1and1.com/?k_id=10052983

but believe me, I truly think 1and1 is the best choice.

doylnea

27-10-2008 21:10:51

So I ended up finally signing up for new hosting, and have about 15 days to get everything transferred. My understanding is that the website transfer should be pretty straightforward, but that the DNS updates are going to be the difficult thing.

I presume, the best case scenario would be to transfer the sites in their entirety, and then not make any changes for a couple of days, update the DNS, let the DNS propogate right?

TFOAF

27-10-2008 22:36:49

[quotea4fa27a14b="doylnea"]So I ended up finally signing up for new hosting, and have about 15 days to get everything transferred. My understanding is that the website transfer should be pretty straightforward, but that the DNS updates are going to be the difficult thing.

I presume, the best case scenario would be to transfer the sites in their entirety, and then not make any changes for a couple of days, update the DNS, let the DNS propogate right?[/quotea4fa27a14b]
Yeah. The DNS change won't be a problem. Just change the nameservers for each website and it should update within 24-48 hours and direct you to the correct server.

For backing up a database, if the host has cPanel...you can do it directly from there, or with phpMyAdmin you can export your database in its entirety as well. As for the files...cPanel lets you create full site backups of your home directory and such which then you can just download the [ia4fa27a14b]tar.gz[/ia4fa27a14b] file to your computer and then just extract those onto the new server (hopefully the new server has an archive extractor so you don't have to upload each file one by one via FTP).