Transfer contacts from old T-Mobile SIM to iPhone 3G

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77234

KeithA

08-09-2008 08:13:23

My old T-Mobile Dash got phwned yesterday...no idea how; I plugged it in to the charger, and when I came back an hour later, it looked like this

[img1f742e74d1]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/903/phownedti4.th.jpg[" alt=""/img1f742e74d1][=http//img="83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phownedti4.jpg][img1f742e74d1]http/" alt=""/img83.imageshack.us/img="83/903/phownedti4.th.jpg[" alt=""/img1f742e74d1]

So anyway, I did the prudent thing and immediately bought an iPhone 3G. Trying to load my old contacts to the new phone, but having a tough time finding a utility to help me backup the old phone and import the contacts to the new one.

The Dash actually still works, but the screen doesn't. I thought ActiveSync would have some kind of backup utility, but apparently it doesn't.

Anybody know what to do?

TryinToGetPaid

08-09-2008 09:48:07

ActiveSync does have a back up utility but it is only for phones that use it.

phriq

08-09-2008 10:49:36

I know verizon has a way to transfer contacts from one phone to another... T-mobile i am sure would have something, have you taken your phones in to see if they could do anything?

dmorris68

08-09-2008 11:24:06

If the contacts are on the SIM, they will move with the SIM card. Your contacts were probably on the phone rather than the SIM, which is how I prefer it anyway (SIM contact records are too simplistic) and how Windows Mobile devices using Pocket Outlook normally do it.

If your Dash is still functional and will sync, can't you sync contacts to Outlook, then sync Outlook to the iPhone? Short of a backup/restore function, that would seem to the easiest way. In fact that's how I typically move contacts & calendar around anyway.

[quoteb199b5c406="TryinToGetPaid"]ActiveSync does have a back up utility but it is only for phones that use it.[/quoteb199b5c406]
Not any more. Backup/restore is one of the features Microsoft removed from ActiveSync 4.x, along with sync over WiFi. You have to buy a 3rd party utility to do it (I use Sunnysoft Backup Manager), or revert to an old version of ActiveSync (which I'm not sure is possible, or at least easy, once a newer version is installed).

KeithA

08-09-2008 11:46:52

[quoteb1a528f3f6="dmorris68"]
If your Dash is still functional and will sync, can't you sync contacts to Outlook, then sync Outlook to the iPhone? Short of a backup/restore function, that would seem to the easiest way. In fact that's how I typically move contacts & calendar around anyway.[/quoteb1a528f3f6]

I'll give that a try. I thought that's what I was doing this morning, but it only loaded some 43 contacts, and I know I have hundreds. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

KeithA

08-09-2008 14:32:50

Worked like a charm. Thanks d-mo!

theysayjump

08-09-2008 20:02:05

How do you like the new iPhone, Keith?

I'm looking to get one in a month or two maybe.

KeithA

13-09-2008 15:08:38

I am loving it. 3G is much quicker than I am used to, the browsing experience is very good, and the battery life is not terrible.

ILoveToys

13-09-2008 20:14:04

I just got the Instinct ) It's not the iphone, but it's still pretty slick, and it teathers to my laptop for no extra charge. For some reason sprint isn't telling ppl the phone is capable of acting as a modem, so if you can get it to work they won't charge you for it (b/c they deny it's ability to do so). It's pretty fast too on my lappy.

KeithA

14-09-2008 18:38:23

[quotee95839eea8="ILoveToys"]I just got the Instinct ) It's not the iphone, but it's still pretty slick, and it teathers to my laptop for no extra charge. For some reason sprint isn't telling ppl the phone is capable of acting as a modem, so if you can get it to work they won't charge you for it (b/c they deny it's ability to do so). It's pretty fast too on my lappy.[/quotee95839eea8]

Laptop tethering could be a pretty big deal. Generally, isn't for me, but I could see it being a factor if my day-to-day routine were less predictable.

I'm astounded by how effectively simple UI decisions improve my productivity. W/ the iphone, I can very easily check 5 separate email addresses for new mail--wherever I am. (I know that I could have done this before from my desktop, but it was never easy enough to do that I actually did it.) Also, I'm a heavy Google Reader user, and sharing or emailing links is seamless w/ the iPhone. This is a big deal to me.

I remember seriously debating whether to pay for a web-enabled phone 2 years ago. About 10 days in, I could barely imagine life before. 1 week into the iPhone, it's a similar situation.

x323smostwantedx

14-09-2008 20:47:07

is your iphone jailbreaked?

dmorris68

15-09-2008 06:12:02

You can tether the iPhone if you hack it, but honestly I'm not very interested in hacking one if I get it. I'm not usually working on my laptop where there isn't a hotspot or CAT5 connection, but OTOH that's probably because I plan it that way. ) Perhaps with tethering I'd use it in more places. I guess I'll wait a bit to see how the 3G is working with Jailbreak and other hacks -- rumor was Apple was going to make it harder to hack, but I don't think they succeeded, LOL. I'll probably pick up a 3G between now and Christmas, as my almost 3 year old 8125 is barely holding together.

samz465

15-09-2008 20:54:54

[quotea24c74f9a2="dmorris68"]You can tether the iPhone if you hack it, but honestly I'm not very interested in hacking one if I get it. I'm not usually working on my laptop where there isn't a hotspot or CAT5 connection, but OTOH that's probably because I plan it that way. ) Perhaps with tethering I'd use it in more places. I guess I'll wait a bit to see how the 3G is working with Jailbreak and other hacks -- rumor was Apple was going to make it harder to hack, but I don't think they succeeded, LOL. I'll probably pick up a 3G between now and Christmas, as my almost 3 year old 8125 is barely holding together.[/quotea24c74f9a2]
You're not interested in the Xperia 1 or the Touch Pro?

x323smostwantedx

15-09-2008 21:25:40

cracked apps ftw

dmorris68

16-09-2008 12:49:08

[quote4faf0558f7="samz465"]You're not interested in the Xperia 1 or the Touch Pro?[/quote4faf0558f7]
A passing interest but nothing yet to sway me from the iPhone, for several reasons.[list4faf0558f7][li4faf0558f7]I'm kinda sick of WM. It's long in the tooth, bloated, and fragile. Much like their desktop OSes. You can throw a custom touch-gesture shell on it, but from what I've read you eventually wind up at a standard WM interface. HTC must also have non-Microsoft ideas for the future, as they're firmly in bed with Google and Android, so I expect to see WM support diminish if Android picks up.
[li4faf0558f7]I used to hold HTC in high regard but think they got greedy and complacent, like a lot of other tech companies have done (Intel, Nvidia, etc.) and had to lose market share and get slapped around a lot before recovering. The Tilt video fiasco (or more precisely, HTC's attitude about it) pissed me and a lot of loyal HTC fans off big time. Incredibly, I've read once again of slow GUI responsiveness with the Touch Pro's brother, the Touch Diamond. Supposedly HTC released an update to improve performance, but this is shaping up to be another major screwup on HTC's part if they failed to provide accelerated video yet again.
[li4faf0558f7]I've been a Sony fan for a long time, I think they do a lot of things right, but not everything. Sony/Ericsson IMO, while flashy, have never impressed me with the performance of their phones. Combine that with WM, and I get a bit nervous. They also tend to be quite pricey for what you get.
[li4faf0558f7]I don't think either are available in NA yet, although supposedly AT&T is preparing to release the Touch Pro "real soon now" as the AT&T Fuze. Haven't even heard yet if AT&T will carry the X1. I'm the sort that can put off a purchase/upgrade of something indefinitely, but then once I've made up my mind, I want it [i4faf0558f7]yesterday[/i4faf0558f7] -- if the competing product isn't available, I won't wait for it.
[li4faf0558f7]I'm just really impressed and enamored with the iPhone. For all its little glitches, Apple got it right, just like they did with the iPod (and some would argue the Mac).[/listu4faf0558f7]
Not sure why you're so anti-iPhone samz, but you seem to have a hard time accepting that I want one. lol Of course all bets are off until I buy something -- I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. If something else emerges between now and the time to buy, I'm open to it. For now, I'm inclined to drink the Apple kool-aid.

theysayjump

24-09-2008 22:12:24

I got my 16GB (it's the only one they had) iPhone tonight and damn is it nice. Haven't played with it a whole bunch but it's pretty fast getting online with 3G in my area and some of that apps are tight.

Definitely worth it (I used my GCs I got from Ideal so it was pretty much free). D

theysayjump

01-10-2008 19:54:20

What apps are you guys using that have an iPhone? Did you jailbreak it yet?

I jailbroke mine two nights in and these are what I'm running

Cydia/Installer (I mainly use Cydia, it seems to have more)
BossPrefs
Docs
MxTube
Weatherbug
Pandora
Seeqpod
Spend
BoFA
WhitePages
DataCase
PayPal
Flashlight
Movies
IM+
GPS Kit
OpenSSH

Games
Tap Tap
Labyrinth
LOLCats
Knots
UltimateCountdown
Dactyl
PuzzleLoop
Hangman
Monkey Ball
Cro-Mag Rally
Wurdle
Trism
de Blob
BrainChallenge

I have a bunch of cracked apps I downloaded before I got the phone and they work really well, once you get past patching the MobileInstallation file.

Twon

01-10-2008 20:05:42

LOL... That's a lot.

theysayjump

01-10-2008 20:14:59

It's not that many, probably fills up two pages maybe, plus all of the pre-installed ones take up space too.

Some of the games I'm going to get rid of and I only got them to try them out.