Router Assistance

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77154

zr2152

01-09-2008 17:10:57

At my school, we are not allowed to have our own personal router on their network because it "messes up" their network (previously we were allowed to do so). When I plug my router into the schools internet hub and try to access it, my school gives me an access denied page because I am connected to a personal router.

I have an older linksys wireless router and I was wondering if I flashed the firmware and then tried to connect it, if my school's network could still detect it. If not, then I would like some assistance on how I should further continue with this.

I'm sure there are tutorials online on how to flash it. No problem there. Just want to know if it is flashed, if it will be undetectable.

Thanks.

ILoveToys

01-09-2008 19:01:42

doubtful. I'm sure whatever they're using recognizes it as a router. Try a switch...you might be able to get by with that.

zr2152

01-09-2008 19:42:35

[quote53b96c214c="ILoveToys"]doubtful. I'm sure whatever they're using recognizes it as a router. Try a switch...you might be able to get by with that.[/quote53b96c214c]

Sorry i'm new to this stuff. How would I go about using a switch?

dmorris68

01-09-2008 20:18:10

Is your internet outlet assigned a static IP address? Or do the PC's you connect to their network get a DHCP address? If your outlet is assigned a fixed port and IP, then a switch won't work -- you would require a NAT router to map multiple IP's to that static IP. However if it's a DHCP network then it most likely will support multiple drops, so a switch would be the solution.

There's a lot less to using a switch than a router -- in fact, there's virtually nothing short of plugging it in, and then plugging your devices in. Older hubs and switches required a crossover cable to connect to an existing network, but anything recent should either auto-MUX or have a crossover switch to work with a regular cable (although most switches designate a single port as the MUX port, usually port #1 or a port physically separated from the others).

Keep in mind if you do go with a switch, you will lose the natural hardware firewall protection a NAT router provides, so you should be sure to have at least a software firewall. Windows Firewall is barely adequate, better than nothing but I'd suggest a "real" firewall with both incoming and outgoing control. There are some free choices available, including Comodo, Zone Alarm Free, and Sunbelt Personal Firewall Free.

zr2152

01-09-2008 20:29:24

[quotef14b828936="dmorris68"]Is your internet outlet assigned a static IP address? Or do the PC's you connect to their network get a DHCP address? If your outlet is assigned a fixed port and IP, then a switch won't work -- you would require a NAT router to map multiple IP's to that static IP. However if it's a DHCP network then it most likely will support multiple drops, so a switch would be the solution.

There's a lot less to using a switch than a router -- in fact, there's virtually nothing short of plugging it in, and then plugging your devices in. Older hubs and switches required a crossover cable to connect to an existing network, but anything recent should either auto-MUX or have a crossover switch to work with a regular cable (although most switches designate a single port as the MUX port, usually port #1 or a port physically separated from the others).

Keep in mind if you do go with a switch, you will lose the natural hardware firewall protection a NAT router provides, so you should be sure to have at least a software firewall. Windows Firewall is barely adequate, better than nothing but I'd suggest a "real" firewall with both incoming and outgoing control. There are some free choices available, including Comodo, Zone Alarm Free, and Sunbelt Personal Firewall Free.[/quotef14b828936]

Thanks DMO but I don't think you understood what I wanted to do.

I wanted to see if the flashed firmware would allow my router to be used on my college network so that I can stabilize my own bandwith (for xbox live and downloads).

Right now it sucks. I get barely enough to play H3 online.

I want to make it undetectable (it is currently not). Switch is not what I need.

dmorris68

02-09-2008 11:50:47

I understand your question is about hiding a router on a network, which is not likely possible if your uni has smart network people and/or equipment. I don't see how a firmware update will change that, because fundamentally a router adds an additional network hop that is easily detectable, I would think.

What I guess I don't understand is why you think a router will help you. A router is not going to "stabilize bandwidth." Your college connection either has the bandwidth and latency to support what you want to do, or it doesn't. Adding a router won't increase bandwidth, as it will only run as fast as the network it's attached to, and as far as latency a router will only add latency and make it worse. For that matter, you're right a switch won't help you here either. Nothing will, short of getting a better internet connection.

zr2152

02-09-2008 12:01:35

Thanks dmo...really appreciate the information and assistance (and everyone else).

chrisrulesall

16-09-2008 11:36:11

have you cloned your mac address?

zr2152

16-09-2008 12:04:40

[quote3db7f94d7e="chrisrulesall"]have you cloned your mac address?[/quote3db7f94d7e]

No. What would that do? wink

chrisrulesall

16-09-2008 12:07:04

it clones the MAC address of your computer onto the router , so that when the network connects to the router, the router tells the network its mac address is that of your computer. May not work, but it may help.

chambo622

20-09-2008 19:59:56

really as dmorris said adding a router isn't going to gain you any speed, because you're still at the mercy of your college's network.

but if you do want it, such as for reasons of having your own private wireless, cloning the mac address may or may not work, depending upon exactly how they detect routers.

turning off dchp may make a difference if they are using an IP filter of some sort.

frankly though for your needs i doubt theres much you can do besides beg the IT guys for faster internet )