Making my own TiVo

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77104

EatChex89

27-08-2008 23:27:09

That's right, I've already bought and installed the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1600.

I've also installed BeyondTV 4.x and it's working great (I'm on the trial period).

Now the only thing is I haven't hooked the pc back up to the TV so it's two streams of video/audio (one to my monitor, one to the TV).

I want to buy a graphics card that has s-video capability so I can output that to the TV and essentially use it as a second monitor so that way I can get the full effects of pausing live tv, yada yada yada.

Here's the thing, if I get a $30 graphics card with s-video capability is it possible that when I hook it back to the TV that there will be severe distortion/pixelation? My TV is 32" or so. CRT Tube.

If anyone knows anything, that'd be SWELL!

doylnea

28-08-2008 06:31:24

What you describe is what I've done in the past, and it works just fine. What's the best input your TV has though - it's worth buying a video card that supports HDMI and then use a HDTV Component adapter (you can buy it at monoprice) that allows you to convert HDMI to Component, then you'd use component cables from the adapter to the TV.

The Radeon™ 9800, Radeon™ 9700, Radeon™ 9600, Radeon™ 9500, Radeon™ 8500 Series, or All-in-Wonder® 9800li /9700li / 9600 / 8500 / 8500DV family of mulitimedia cards can all use adapter.

h3x

28-08-2008 10:59:40

My dream set-up would consist of several Sat Tuner cards inside a box hooked up to a few satellite dishes on my roof. The next question would be, Should I use MythTV or Windows Media Center?

EatChex89

30-08-2008 19:43:36

I have 3 inputs. The traditional component (YRW), coaxial, and s-video.

I'm not concerned about audio, just video.

I really don't want to invest too much money in this so buying an expensive video card would be a waste since the PC itself is pretty shitty.