Wireless Print Server

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=76865

doylnea

13-08-2008 10:46:15

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a wireless print server? I'm looking to get a Mac iBook and several XP Pro PCs to be able to print to a Samsung Laser printer.

dmorris68

13-08-2008 11:25:20

No specific suggestion, but if you're going to have a wireless network anyway, you don't need a [i1ae46e9858]wireless[/i1ae46e9858] print server unless there is no cable drop near the printer. Having a wireless print server hanging off an existing wireless network is just more to configure, and more points of failure.

I've used hardwired Netgear and Hawking print servers before, but recently converted over to using my home-built NAS box running Linux as my network print server. It serves both USB and parallel printers.

Speaking of which, if you're interested in a hardwired print server, I'd be willing to sell either my Netgear PS104 (2 LPT + 1 RS-232) or my Hawking (2 USB + 1 LPT) print servers. Just note that, aside from printing itself, any advanced printer functions (such as inkjet monitoring, scanning/faxing from all-in-ones, etc.), are not usually compatible with print server access with most brands of printers, unless the printer was network capable to begin with.

Some of the SOHO wifi/wired routers from Linksys, D-Link, etc. have included print servers over the years too.

doylnea

13-08-2008 12:14:51

There isn't a jack near the PC with the printer (directly connected via USB). That PC is on the network via wireless. For a number of reasons, I can't hardwire the computer onto the network.

The printer I have is one of the fatwallet deal printers - the Samsung ML1740s that are FAR every couple of years. I've had it for 4 years, and it prints like new, but, it also only does BW, which is fine for what I use it for - thus no need for additional functionality.

The print server is mostly a convenience so that my wife can print from laptop directly, rather than having to turn on the PC with the printer, then saving to a USB key, then printing.

It looks like if I'm patient, I can snag a decent used one on eBay for ~$20, I might just do that.

ILoveToys

14-08-2008 13:18:17

I just leave my desktop on 24/7 and use XP's file and print sharing to share the printer that is attached to it, and then I added my printer to my laptop and can print from the laptop anytime I want provided the desktop is running.

manOFice

14-08-2008 13:19:16

[quote8cca0a8fea="ILoveToys"]I just leave my desktop on 24/7 and use XP's file and print sharing to share the printer that is attached to it, and then I added my printer to my laptop and can print from the laptop anytime I want provided the desktop is running.[/quote8cca0a8fea]

Thats what I do

doylnea

14-08-2008 13:37:18

thanks - I'll give that a try. My preference, for electricity consumption reasons, would be to not leave the PC on all the time, but as a short term solution that would work, assuming I can find a mac driver for the printer.

doylnea

15-09-2008 21:18:03

anyone have an extra wireless print server for sale?