Dell E Series - w00t

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=76853

manOFice

12-08-2008 11:00:47

http//www.engadget.com/2008/08/12/dell-announces-new-latitude-e-series/

http//www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_latitude_e6500?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

What do you guys think? I can't wait to ditch my D630 and get one of these puppies

Twon

12-08-2008 11:33:33

Every one of my friends that got a Dell laptop had serious problems with them...

One guy has to sit it on a bag of frozen peas while he uses it so it doesn't over heat. Another had the mother board fry twice. First was waranteed. I guess i only have 2 friends that got a Dell... lol

dmorris68

12-08-2008 11:38:44

Cool. The lease on my D810 at work is up in October, and they usually let us spec & order replacements a couple months out. I was putting it off hoping that these would be released soon. We have 3 year leases so I always wait until the last minute if I can -- I hate buying behind the curve knowing I'm stuck with it for 3 years.

[quote52f2fec0ba="Twon"]Every one of my friends that got a Dell laptop had serious problems with them...

One guy has to sit it on a bag of frozen peas while he uses it so it doesn't over heat. Another had the mother board fry twice. First was waranteed. I guess i only have 2 friends that got a Dell... lol[/quote52f2fec0ba]
Unfortunately that's been an increasing trend with Dell lately, but moreso on the consumer (Inspiron) line than on the busines (Latitude) line. Latitudes are generally more dependable, although usually lagging behind in the cutting edge features they put in the Inspiron line.

Regardless, some of us have corporate standards at work that require specific brands, in my case Dell. For my own money, I prefer Sony and Toshiba.

manOFice

12-08-2008 11:41:45

[quotefd2b4e08e6="dmorris68"]Cool. The lease on my D810 at work is up in October, and they usually let us spec & order replacements a couple months out. I was putting it off hoping that these would be released soon. We have 3 year leases so I always wait until the last minute if I can -- I hate buying behind the curve knowing I'm stuck with it for 3 years.[/quotefd2b4e08e6]

Our work laptops are every 2 years but us in IT can upgrade when something new comes out ;)

Twon, I usually don't recommend dells to people but i think they have been getting better

Twon

12-08-2008 11:42:55

How good do you think they are for their price?

dmorris68

12-08-2008 11:45:36

[quote02bc67c4af="manOFice"][quote02bc67c4af="dmorris68"]Cool. The lease on my D810 at work is up in October, and they usually let us spec & order replacements a couple months out. I was putting it off hoping that these would be released soon. We have 3 year leases so I always wait until the last minute if I can -- I hate buying behind the curve knowing I'm stuck with it for 3 years.[/quote02bc67c4af]

Our work laptops are every 2 years but us in IT can upgrade when something new comes out ;)

Twon, I usually don't recommend dells to people but i think they have been getting better[/quote02bc67c4af]
I'm on the software development side, rather than what we call the IT side, but I do have enough pull to do the same if I wish. I just don't do it anymore. It causes too much whining amongst co-workers who don't have the same influence or connections that I do, so I tend to just go along with the policy nowadays. Especially since my job is more management than development now, I don't necessarily need the cutting-edge horsepower I used to. Although when I do order, I max them out.

manOFice

12-08-2008 11:56:48

[quoteefeef4027b="dmorris68"][quoteefeef4027b="manOFice"][quoteefeef4027b="dmorris68"]Cool. The lease on my D810 at work is up in October, and they usually let us spec & order replacements a couple months out. I was putting it off hoping that these would be released soon. We have 3 year leases so I always wait until the last minute if I can -- I hate buying behind the curve knowing I'm stuck with it for 3 years.[/quoteefeef4027b]

Twon, I usually don't recommend dells to people but i think they have been getting better[/quoteefeef4027b]
I'm on the software development side, rather than what we call the IT side, but I do have enough pull to do the same if I wish. I just don't do it anymore. It causes too much whining amongst co-workers who don't have the same influence or connections that I do, so I tend to just go along with the policy nowadays. Especially since my job is more management than development now, I don't necessarily need the cutting-edge horsepower I used to. Although when I do order, I max them out.[/quoteefeef4027b]

hehe, I hear ya

manOFice

13-08-2008 06:17:16

my boss ordered the larger one and the slim line, i should be able to test one out real soon )