Wii Problems

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74918

hitnaui

28-03-2008 01:34:02

Well I just bought a wii about a week and a half ago and I am already having problems. For the first week I had no problems playing SSBB, but once I purchased LoZTP I started to notice bad artifacting going on. Here are some links I found on youtube that shows what is going on with my wii.
[ue3a1b70786]link 1[=http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_rIHnqpk4c&NR=1]link 1[/ue3a1b70786] [ue3a1b70786]link 2[=http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ZtQRXZKyg&NR=1]link 2[/ue3a1b70786]
From what I have read online, this problem is caused by the wii connect 24 over heating the graphics chip. I guess I have to send it in because I bought 20$ worth of wii shop points and from what I have read, the points/games are non-transferable.

I have several questions if anyone here has had any problems with their wii.
[liste3a1b70786]How long did it take for them to fix it?
Did they send you the same wii back or send you a different one?
Is your saved data still there? (This one worries me because it wont let me copy my SSBB data)
Should I register my wii before sending it in?[/listue3a1b70786]
I have more questions but I cant remember them right now. I will post them once I remember them.

This is the first time ever I have had a system ever remotely mess up so I am looking for any advice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely different note, I am looking for a good, easy and fun 2 or 3 person multilayer wii game. I am leaning towards Cooking Mama but I haven't had much time to read up on it.

Also if anyone knows where I can find a cheap 2-4 gig sd memory card. I haven't checked SD yet but will check later today.

dmorris68

28-03-2008 07:01:57

Never had a problem with our Wii, we've had it about 6-8 months I guess. However it is in a well-ventilated A/V rack and is also in the vertical stand -- vertical should run cooler than horizontal, so if yours is horizontal you might give that a shot. We also have a 360 in the same rack (horizontal because it's too tall) and it never seems to overheat either, like a lot of folks' 360s do. Proper ventilation behind and around it is the key.

Ezekial

30-03-2008 16:20:56

Call up Nintendo support ;)

manOFice

30-03-2008 16:27:19

I had this problem and had to get mine fixed

The turn around is very fast - once they have it.. it's only couple days till they send it back.

Yes, register your wii.

I received a completly different wii, I didn't really care after awhile because the issue was fixed

They restore your data if you have any

Ezekial

30-03-2008 18:27:34

So just back up your VC games and saved data onto an SD card )

manOFice

30-03-2008 18:33:51

[quoteea840027d4="Ezekial"]So just back up your VC games and saved data onto an SD card )[/quoteea840027d4]

Thats what I did ;) but everything was intact when i got it back

hitnaui

02-04-2008 19:04:52

Sorry I haven't replied, I have been sick/busy the past week.
[quote6ff0f1c47f="dmorris68"]Never had a problem with our Wii, we've had it about 6-8 months I guess. However it is in a well-ventilated A/V rack and is also in the vertical stand -- vertical should run cooler than horizontal, so if yours is horizontal you might give that a shot. We also have a 360 in the same rack (horizontal because it's too tall) and it never seems to overheat either, like a lot of folks' 360s do. Proper ventilation behind and around it is the key.[/quote6ff0f1c47f]
I don't think the ventilation is bad. It has about 4 inches to the right free, 12.5 to the left of the wii and 5 inches behind it. I do keep it vertical because it looks better that way. My camera was not charged up and I don't feel like charging it so I did a quick m$paint version on my wii setup.http//i190.photobucket.com/albums/z242/Hitnaui/wiisetup.jpg[" alt=""/img6ff0f1c47f]
There is about 28inches by 16inches of space inside the tv stand.

Also I have never felt it heat up bad whenever I turn it off. Its like every other system I own, its barely warm.
[quote6ff0f1c47f="Ezekial"]Call up Nintendo support Wink[/quote6ff0f1c47f]

I did and I am expecting the ups shipping label.

[quote6ff0f1c47f="manOFice"]I had this problem and had to get mine fixed

The turn around is very fast - once they have it.. it's only couple days till they send it back.

Yes, register your wii.

I received a completly different wii, I didn't really care after awhile because the issue was fixed

They restore your data if you have any[/quote6ff0f1c47f]

Its good to hear that they are able to fix/replace it quickly. I did register it online. Good thing too because I was reading on their site that if you send it in without registering it online and you get a different wii back then you are not able to get the 90days warranty extension.

[quote6ff0f1c47f="Ezekial"]So just back up your VC games and saved data onto an SD card Smile[/quote6ff0f1c47f]
I don't have a regular size SD card yet. Only a micro and no extension for that... Hopefully like manOFice said that everything will still be intact when I get it back or I will have to call support again...lisighli.

hehehhehe

03-04-2008 06:30:13

I think I mentioned this in a thread before (I think it was in a similar thread by manofice's) but keep wiiconnect24 off. When I first got mine, I noticed how hot it got even in a well ventilated area (I think I gave it a full shelf section) when wiiconnect24 was on and the console was off. So I turned wiiconnect off. Soon after, I started hearing about wii gpu overheating problems from people that had it on.

It's weird since you say that it wan't that hot when the console was off. Maybe wiiconnect was not the problem, plus I think they fixed that problem in a firmware update.