Canceling Cell Phone Contract..

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74792

JKirk

21-03-2008 20:36:02

I know nothing about this other than the fact that a lot of technical blogs suggest that you either

A. Complain your way out of the $150 fee saying they violated laws and etc.

B. Swap out a plan with someone else on a site. (Not even sure if this is legal so...)

I want to get away from US Cellular because I do not get any data service out of town, which really sucks because it defeats the purpose of having a Blackberry if you can't check your e-mail and what not on the road. Basically I'm on my last leg of the contract so I'm not sure how well it would swap out. I think I have something like 2-3 months left but since I'm traveling a lot this summer I can't stick it out.

Has anyone swapped or know any information about? Initially I thought it was illegal but Wired.com and WSJ both have articles on it so I'm here asking. 8)

gafdpc

21-03-2008 20:45:06

I think if you only have a couple of months left they will waive the ETF. Not positive though, just word on the street.

No harm in trying.

JKirk

21-03-2008 20:56:30

[quote54b9f60c4b="gafdpc"]I think if you only have a couple of months left they will waive the ETF. Not positive though, just word on the street.

No harm in trying.[/quote54b9f60c4b]

Did you hear that about cell phone services in general or US Cellular? Not sure what would be better, to go down in person or to call a general customer service place.

samz465

21-03-2008 23:39:04

I'm surprised you didn't aim me first...
Well, when you see this, aim me.

puppeteer

22-03-2008 01:45:49

http//www.celltradeusa.com/

This site allows you to buy, sell, trade contracts with other people.

And as for my experience, no cell phone service company waive any contract termination fees, they do this so you could stay with them.

JKirk

23-03-2008 15:17:44

How does this work exactly though, when you swap out contracts?

ipodlover1

26-03-2008 11:33:46

Does anyone know any tricks for getting out of a Verizon contract? (Besides the whole complaining about the increase in text messaging rates thing)

puppeteer

26-03-2008 23:53:48

[quote1527b33557="puppeteer"]http//www.celltradeusa.com/

This site allows you to buy, sell, trade contracts with other people.

And as for my experience, no cell phone service company waive any contract termination fees, they do this so you could stay with them.[/quote1527b33557]

People from howardforums directed me to this, I never got the chance to use it but howardforums (community dedicated to cell phone related) members have used it bunch of times.... Try it or google howardforums

JKirk

27-03-2008 10:27:32

[quote3eeb0831db="ipodlover1"]Does anyone know any tricks for getting out of a Verizon contract? (Besides the whole complaining about the increase in text messaging rates thing)[/quote3eeb0831db]

That seems to be the main thing people are advising on random blogs but there's no way I can really pull that. I think I'm going to try to talk some sense to someone on a national customer service number but I'm sure they will say no.

tjwor

27-03-2008 23:27:00

I got out of my U.S. Cellular contract in august, it was supposed to go through november or so. They had changed my contract when they did the switch from cellular one. (4 or 5 months before i got out)

I just called them and was bitching about overage charges I had for checking my voicemail in a roaming area. I told them that I could get a contract through cingular with more minutes and less money, the guy basically tried to call my bluff. He said, well, i'm going to get rid of the cancelation fee, and if you find another company fits your needs better, you can go ahead and cancel.

Didn't make much since to me, I expected them to try to do everything to keep me a member, being I had been with them for almost 2 years, but they were ready to dump me ASAP...

Give them a call and see if they will let you out, worked for me!

ForceBucks

28-03-2008 06:41:50

I heard that if you say you have to move overseas for work they are required to waive the cancellation fee. Someone told me it is a clause in their contract, just like in a standard US renters lease. Never tried it though. Good luck!

manOFice

28-03-2008 06:44:50

I got out of verizon's contract without an ETF with the text message rate increase. Go to slickdeals they have huge threads on sprint and verizon