Good Proxy?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74324

theysayjump

06-03-2008 17:53:46

My dad works overnight and spends 12 hours sitting behind a desk and whilst he has access to e-mail he can't get online and is bored out of his mind.

Does anyone know a good proxy he can use or somewhere that has a decent list of proxies I can send him?

TryinToGetPaid

06-03-2008 18:08:15

www.totallyresearchforwork.com

https//www.totallywaycool.com/

dmorris68

06-03-2008 18:58:59

If he can't get online, how can he use a proxy. P

Assuming you mean the "good" sites are blocked, just make sure your dad is aware of the risks. At most companies (certainly mine), using a proxy to bypass employer controls is a terminable offense. Technical-savvy folks can somewhat cover their tracks (although not 100%, but often it's enough to get around a mediocre IT staff), but not knowing the technical level of either your dad or his employer's staff, I'd suggest caution.

theysayjump

06-03-2008 19:37:23

[quote1329618c2c="dmorris68"]If he can't get online, how can he use a proxy. P

Assuming you mean the "good" sites are blocked, just make sure your dad is aware of the risks. At most companies (certainly mine), using a proxy to bypass employer controls is a terminable offense. Technical-savvy folks can somewhat cover their tracks (although not 100%, but often it's enough to get around a mediocre IT staff), but not knowing the technical level of either your dad or his employer's staff, I'd suggest caution.[/quote1329618c2c]

Yeah, you know what I mean. ;)

My cat is more tech-savvy than my dad but I don't know about his IT staff. I've warned him of the risks but he said he'd still like to check it out, so thanks for the input. )

guelah75

06-03-2008 21:21:52

you could set up remote desktop - and he could log into his computer at home to surf around

x323smostwantedx

06-03-2008 22:03:16

They just blocked all of the sites at my work, only about 2 of them work. Everytime I try to log into any other site I just get the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. I cant even log into a proxy site, is there anything I can do?

TryinToGetPaid

07-03-2008 05:24:54

logmein.com?

manOFice

07-03-2008 06:35:57

all those sites say proxy avoidance for me...

dmorris68

07-03-2008 08:29:19

If your employers have somewhat sophisticated (and properly maintained and updated) web filters such as WebSense, then they both blacklist as well as heuristically detect filtered sites, including proxy sites. They self-train, and you'll usually find that a "new" site will work for only a few hits before it becomes dynamically blacklisted.

BTW it can also log these hits and new blocks, and forward them to your security or net admin. So, again, if you know your employer is going to this length, you're taking quite a risk by blatantly trying to circumvent it. If your employer has a formal internet usage policy, as does mine, then you could find yourself without a job.

Several years back, when my company first started using WebSense, several of us (myself included) used proxies to get around stupid blocks -- to this day WebSense will occasionally block a legitimate work-related site merely because it's on a shared host with another site that is blacklisted by IP. We have a procedure in place to request specific sites be unblocked, but it sometimes takes days. So we would just proxy around it. A friend of ours in that group stopped by one day and, in so many words, gave us a friendly warning to cease & desist -- they were about to start sending logs to managers and HR was on a termination warpath for internet violations. Not long after that, I had to fire a guy on orders from HR due to his surfing habits (and no, it wasn't pr0n).

manOFice

07-03-2008 14:09:32

[quote0ec8444d68="dmorris68"]If your employers have somewhat sophisticated (and properly maintained and updated) web filters such as WebSense, then they both blacklist as well as heuristically detect filtered sites, including proxy sites. They self-train, and you'll usually find that a "new" site will work for only a few hits before it becomes dynamically blacklisted.

BTW it can also log these hits and new blocks, and forward them to your security or net admin. So, again, if you know your employer is going to this length, you're taking quite a risk by blatantly trying to circumvent it. If your employer has a formal internet usage policy, as does mine, then you could find yourself without a job.

Several years back, when my company first started using WebSense, several of us (myself included) used proxies to get around stupid blocks -- to this day WebSense will occasionally block a legitimate work-related site merely because it's on a shared host with another site that is blacklisted by IP. We have a procedure in place to request specific sites be unblocked, but it sometimes takes days. So we would just proxy around it. A friend of ours in that group stopped by one day and, in so many words, gave us a friendly warning to cease & desist -- they were about to start sending logs to managers and HR was on a termination warpath for internet violations. Not long after that, I had to fire a guy on orders from HR due to his surfing habits (and no, it wasn't pr0n).[/quote0ec8444d68]

Yeah our process to get sites unblocked from websense takes awhile, it has to go through different departments etc