Replacing hard drives

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=73946

unknown uchiha

20-02-2008 19:50:31

Hi! I've got somewhat of a problem. Of sorts.

I have a Macbook (first-generation) with the following specs

-80GB Hard Drive
-2GB RAM
-2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo processor
-Intel GMA950 graphics card
-Mac OSX Leopard (10.5.2), upgraded from 10.4 Tiger

I recently purchased a 250GB hard drive and was looking to swap it out. BUT I am lacking the Leopard installation CD, since it was a Family Pack that my friend purchased and currently he's out of town for the month.

Is there a way I can back up my current hard drive so Leopard will install from the hard drive itself? This is probably the listupidestli question ever =P

hehehhehe

20-02-2008 20:27:21

[quote58f072f7a8="unknown uchiha"]Hi! I've got somewhat of a problem. Of sorts.

I have a Macbook (first-generation) with the following specs

-80GB Hard Drive
-2GB RAM
-2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo processor
-Intel GMA950 graphics card
-Mac OSX Leopard (10.5.2), upgraded from 10.4 Tiger

I recently purchased a 250GB hard drive and was looking to swap it out. BUT I am lacking the Leopard installation CD, since it was a Family Pack that my friend purchased and currently he's out of town for the month.

Is there a way I can back up my current hard drive so Leopard will install from the hard drive itself? This is probably the listupidestli question ever =P[/quote58f072f7a8]
You should be able to clone the boot drive to your new drive. Google "clone mac os x drive" and you'll see plenty of info. Carbon Copy Cloner seems to be the popular choice, it's free. You'll need a way to have both drives connected at once though.

It's a 250gb notebook drive right? Just checking...

unknown uchiha

21-02-2008 00:52:55

Yup, 2.5" SATA =]