Need new lappy

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=73557

zr2152

04-02-2008 19:40:17

So I could not get my motherboard fixed and it cost too much to replace it so I need to purchase a new computer this weekend.

I want to stay away from Toshiba cause the last model I got from them sucked and I had 2 motherboard issues with it. I want something around a $1,000 price before purchasing a warranty. I was looking at getting a HP.

What do you guys think?

Preferred specs

Core Duo
At least 100GB HD
1GB RAM
15 in screen
DVD Burner

I dont care too much about video or sound cards or any other specs really. I would love to downgrade to XP and NOT use Vista. Can I downgrade if I have an XP disc?

Let me know what you guys think as I would love some advice/help choosing a new laptop.

J4320

04-02-2008 19:42:20

How about a slappy for calling it a lappy?

zr2152

04-02-2008 19:44:39

How about you stay out of my thread if youre not going to help?

wink

J4320

04-02-2008 19:46:07

I'm keeping it at the top for you. ^_^

zr2152

04-02-2008 19:49:53

hehe

dmorris68

05-02-2008 07:18:06

Personally, I rank Toshiba at or near the top. They're a great laptop. You're going to find lemons and defective parts with any brand, so you can't write them off for one bad experience.

Other than Toshiba, I like Sony and Lenovo. Neither are known for being budget brands, though. Not sure what you can get for $1000 from them, but they might have some low-end models at that price point.

Personally, I'd recommend another Toshiba for your price range. I bought a Satellite A135-4467 about a year ago that cost $1000 before MIR. I loved it except for the 1280x800 resolution -- I can't tolerate a resolution that low -- so I passed it to my high-school senior daughter and bought a massive Sony VAIO AR670 with a beautiful 1920x1200 17" screen. It was about 2.5x your budget, though. Toshiba didn't have a WUXGA display or I would have probably bought another Toshiba.

manOFice

05-02-2008 07:22:22

I agree with Dmorris, I've had my toshiba for YEARS without one single problem, top notch.

But i can't believe i'm saying this... but maybe going with a Dell D630

doylnea

05-02-2008 07:49:58

www.delloutlet.com

or lenovo's sale location, who's URL is on the tip of my finger...

zr2152

05-02-2008 09:03:45

[quotee13ef639d2="dmorris68"]Personally, I rank Toshiba at or near the top. They're a great laptop. You're going to find lemons and defective parts with any brand, so you can't write them off for one bad experience.

Other than Toshiba, I like Sony and Lenovo. Neither are known for being budget brands, though. Not sure what you can get for $1000 from them, but they might have some low-end models at that price point.

Personally, I'd recommend another Toshiba for your price range. I bought a Satellite A135-4467 about a year ago that cost $1000 before MIR. I loved it except for the 1280x800 resolution -- I can't tolerate a resolution that low -- so I passed it to my high-school senior daughter and bought a massive Sony VAIO AR670 with a beautiful 1920x1200 17" screen. It was about 2.5x your budget, though. Toshiba didn't have a WUXGA display or I would have probably bought another Toshiba.[/quotee13ef639d2]

I agree with you on the Toshiba part Dmorris but I would have to say that the whole defection part is wrong. A tech person at my school was told by a toshiba representative that the satellite had a terrible design. It was not designed to be a laptop but rather a desktop, meaning that by moving it you were damaging the system and its parts inside. This is my reason for staying away from Toshiba and any of its systems. My friends have never had a laptop issue whatsoever at the same level I had with my Toshiba.

1 burner issue
1 HD issue
1 battery issue
2 motherboard issues.

I wish I could trust them but in 2 years of getting that laptop, only maybe the HD should have gone bad.

Dell seems to be in my price range but what about an HP?

manOFice

05-02-2008 09:54:37

I wouldn't bother with HP

I just wanted to say though, my satellite Toshiba, I've knocked off my desk couple times onto a hard ground and nothing ever broke or anything, I think their built pretty well.

Have you checked out the D620 or D630's from dell?

zr2152

05-02-2008 10:12:54

[quote051c37b479="manOFice"]I wouldn't bother with HP

I just wanted to say though, my satellite Toshiba, I've knocked off my desk couple times onto a hard ground and nothing ever broke or anything, I think their built pretty well.

Have you checked out the D620 or D630's from dell?[/quote051c37b479]

Nah I have not looked at a dell yet. I think i might go with them cause they are more in my price range.

EDIT

http//www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/latit_d630?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=FamCustom

looks nice. I might get the standard and then upgrade from like newegg or something if i really want the more ram. Plus it comes with XP and not Vista

)

Good call!

dmorris68

05-02-2008 11:13:28

That is total BS about the Satellite being "moved around." The Satellite is Toshiba's oldest line of portables -- Toshiba was one of the pioneers in the portable and laptop markets, from back in the day when they were the size and shape of a small suitcase.

While there ARE laptops built around desktop components, who have all sorts of issues (mostly heat related), the Satellite line is not one of them. They use the exact same mobile parts as everybody else's laptops. Either there was something lost along the way, something misinterpreted, or that Toshiba rep was a technically clueless marketing/salesperson (not unheard of). I know too many people with Toshiba experience -- myself included -- who can refute all claims of unreliability.

You DO realize that Toshiba doesn't make their laptops, right? Nor does Dell, Lenovo, and HP in most cases? There are only a handful of ODM's in the world, that supply their bare-bones laptops to the OEM's like Toshiba and Dell, who brand them and provide a custom BIOS & drive image. The ODM's are companies like Sager and Clevo that most folks have never heard of. ;) Underneath the branding and customized software, the exact same laptop hardware is widely used across OEM's.

zr2152

05-02-2008 11:57:41

[quote131536280a="dmorris68"]That is total BS about the Satellite being "moved around." The Satellite is Toshiba's oldest line of portables -- Toshiba was one of the pioneers in the portable and laptop markets, from back in the day when they were the size and shape of a small suitcase.

While there ARE laptops built around desktop components, who have all sorts of issues (mostly heat related), the Satellite line is not one of them. They use the exact same mobile parts as everybody else's laptops. Either there was something lost along the way, something misinterpreted, or that Toshiba rep was a technically clueless marketing/salesperson (not unheard of). I know too many people with Toshiba experience -- myself included -- who can refute all claims of unreliability.

You DO realize that Toshiba doesn't make their laptops, right? Nor does Dell, Lenovo, and HP in most cases? There are only a handful of ODM's in the world, that supply their bare-bones laptops to the OEM's like Toshiba and Dell, who brand them and provide a custom BIOS & drive image. The ODM's are companies like Sager and Clevo that most folks have never heard of. ;) Underneath the branding and customized software, the exact same laptop hardware is widely used across OEM's.[/quote131536280a]

oh oops

But the satellite that I had was what I believe the first satellite model put out by toshiba. But then again, im sure you can prove me wrong once again. So would you say that the laptop i linked in my above post would be good to purchase for the price listed?

dmorris68

05-02-2008 12:07:17

You didn't have the first Satellite, unless it was an early 90's vintage 33Mhz 486 about 3 inches thick. ) Satellites have been around for a long time.

http//cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-T1910CS---Vintage-Laptop_W0QQitemZ160205038439QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0802030819a25676

And that's not even the oldest one...

For some reason your Dell link isn't loading for me. I will say that I've fallen a bit out of favor with Dell laptops, having had several over the years, but I do prefer their Latitude line -- they're built better than their consumer Inspiron/XPS line, although they're more business oriented than performance/gamer oriented. Their D800 series is higher end than the D600 series, if you're looking for more performance.

samz465

05-02-2008 12:46:37

Heh, my 8525 has better specs than that Toshiba.