45 RPM to Hard Drive for FLAC Encoding

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=73410

h3x

31-01-2008 07:10:02

I have been offered to purchase a rare 7" record and I want to preserve the record by using it only once to dump the audio onto the hard drive and encode it using a lossless format (FLAC). The current version of the song available in the 'usual places' is not of great quality.

Hardware, Software and any other suggestions to accomplish my goal will be greatly appreciated.

dmorris68

31-01-2008 07:35:37

Obviously you need a turntable with line out, or preamp outputs and an amplifier. After that, it'll be just like ripping from any other analog output.

Buying a turntable for this one instance would probably not make sense, but MaximumPC did an article several issues back on ripping vinyl. They reviewed and recommended a couple of turntables in the $100 range, however I'm not sure they were 45 RPM capable. Most pro-level turntables support like 33-1/3 or 78 RPM, I don't think all support 45.

Unless you know a vinyl collector or some audiophile that still hangs on to all their old audio gear, and borrowing it, I'm not sure what else to suggest. I've been out of the vinyl scene for 25 years or more.

h3x

31-01-2008 08:03:36

[quoteb2e416fdfa="dmorris68"]Obviously you need a turntable with line out, or preamp outputs and an amplifier. After that, it'll be just like ripping from any other analog output.

Buying a turntable for this one instance would probably not make sense, but MaximumPC did an article several issues back on ripping vinyl. They reviewed and recommended a couple of turntables in the $100 range, however I'm not sure they were 45 RPM capable. Most pro-level turntables support like 33-1/3 or 78 RPM, I don't think all support 45.

Unless you know a vinyl collector or some audiophile that still hangs on to all their old audio gear, and borrowing it, I'm not sure what else to suggest. I've been out of the vinyl scene for 25 years or more.[/quoteb2e416fdfa]

Well, I already knew how to set it up... I was wondering about specific models of turntables that support 45 RPM that would work best with what I want to do... and maybe a suggestion on a good software program or two.

I know a few people who might have the equipment I need... So, I suppose I'll go that route.

dmorris68

31-01-2008 08:24:34

I used Audacity recently to rip an old educational cassette for my daughter's school teacher and convert it to DVD. I had to dig up a crappy cassette player with headphone out, connected to my soundcards line-in jack. The cassette itself had some horrible hiss to it. But with Audacity I was able to to clean up the audio with just a few clicks, and it turned out surprisingly well. I burned the CD and the teacher was very happy with the result. Not bad for free software, so you might give it a shot.

ILoveToys

31-01-2008 13:30:42

Yeah...Audacity works well for ripping......I use it to rip audio from youtube or other places where I just want a sound clip...I just use the headphone jack from my laptop to the line in jack w/ a 1/8th in to 1/8th in stereo cable......Sounds as good as it ever does that way....