How good are the Vizio HDTV's?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=73093

topbillin1

19-01-2008 22:16:01

I have a Samsung 30 inch Slimfit T.V that I bought from Circuit City last year. It's a nice T.V with a good picture but it's too damn heavy, it's about 170 pounds and I want to get a flat panel HDTV and sell the one I have. I have about $600.00 and I want a typical 32 inch flat panel HDTV.

My T.V cannot do 1080p but 1080i is the max so I'm not too picky on requirements and specs,, just want to save space.

puppeteer

20-01-2008 01:42:20

I always thought Vizio was part of Sonys company? and I assumed they were good

dmorris68

20-01-2008 20:15:13

Vizio's have great picture quality for the price. However I hear they're not very reliable, and tend to get returned or repaired a lot. You can research opinions on pretty much every HDTV brand at sites like AVSForum.com, so you might poke around there.

samz465

21-01-2008 11:06:39

[quote4ad6ad4da5="dmorris68"]Vizio's have great picture quality for the price. However I hear they're not very reliable, and tend to get returned or repaired a lot. You can research opinions on pretty much every HDTV brand at sites like AVSForum.com, so you might poke around there.[/quote4ad6ad4da5]
No 3 paragraph response Dmo?
Looks like someones getting a little rusty P.

Anyway, I've heard that they're amazing quality as far as the picture goes.
As far as them not being reliable, I haven't heard too much about that.
I would however recommend getting a warranty for one of those though.
But before you get the warranty, make sure you check the prices that each company offers and what the warranty entails.
It might save you a big headache in the long run.

dmorris68

21-01-2008 11:21:05

shrug Didn't have anything else to say. I've never owned one, I only know what I've seen in person (good image quality) and read (poor reliability). When I have 3 paragraphs worth of opinion on something, I post it, otherwise I don't just make crap up. ;)

ajasax

21-01-2008 11:49:09

A word on their reliability at work (UPS), I see at least 1 or 2 Vizio TVs being returned in their boxes for repair a week. That's just in the area I work in at my little hub.

ILoveToys

21-01-2008 12:45:22

My father in law bought a Vizio 46" LCD about a year ago. The thing has a lifetime warranty included from cosco. If he ever has a problem they'll replace it, or at least that's what i'm told.

dmorris68

21-01-2008 13:20:50

That's a Cosco thing, they are famous for their return policy, as well as being taken advantage of for it. Essentially anything (except computers, they had to change the computer policy due to people using it for free upgrades) can be returned to Cosco at any time, in any condition, even years after purchase, for a full refund or credit of the original purchase price.

I can reasonably assure you that Vizio TV's don't have a lifetime factory warranty, but if you can get it from Cosco and use their liberal return policy, then that would make it a much easier decision.

EDIT Confirmed, Vizio factory warranty is 1 year on new models, 90 days on refurbs.

ILoveToys

21-01-2008 13:34:30

Yeah, I figured it was a cosco thing, but that was how the kid got him to buy it....It was the main selling point really....

DRay9911

21-01-2008 14:24:20

for christmas, i bought the basic 26" vizio from walmart for my parents

http//www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623471
(there are reviews)

they have a monster entertainment unit which isn't going anywhere, so the 26" was the only size i could buy that would fit.

picture looks great (especially compared to what it replaced) through regular cable. we plugged in the antenna for the playoff games (they are upgrading to digital cable/hd service later this month).

the only thing i didn't like about it was it only had one cable/antenna input, so i had to go back and forth for the football games.

when i bought the tv, the guy who rang me up told me about the warranty but i'll be honest i forgot all about it. i just told my parents to keep the receipt and upc codes from the box.

-dan

topbillin1

23-01-2008 22:15:49

I'm gonna hold on to my 175 pound beast for a little while longer and probably try to get something sweet this Black Friday.

Thanks for all the advice, I do somewhat like the Vizios myself.

J4320

23-01-2008 22:38:29

I have a 42" Vizio Plasma with the Cosco warranty and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The image quality is very crisp and stunning. I couldn't be happier. If I had to find any complaints at all, I'd have to say that mine has a quiet buzz but it doesn't really bother me. I'm not sure if that's normal or not for plasmas... I'm assuming it isn't lol.

drocklovesgreens

26-01-2008 11:14:51

I have a 32" Vizio and it has never had any problems. But my parents have a 48" Aquos and the picture quality difference is CLEAR! Vizio is a good HD for its price but isn't anything compared to a Sony or Samsung.

drocklovesgreens

26-01-2008 11:15:45

[quote56361362d2="topbillin1"]I'm gonna hold on to my 175 pound beast for a little while longer and probably try to get something sweet this Black Friday.

Thanks for all the advice, I do somewhat like the Vizios myself.[/quote56361362d2]

"This Black Friday" is a LONG WAYS AWAY!

topbillin1

27-01-2008 20:50:47

[quote97c9bff59f="drocklovesgreens"][quote97c9bff59f="topbillin1"]I'm gonna hold on to my 175 pound beast for a little while longer and probably try to get something sweet this Black Friday.

Thanks for all the advice, I do somewhat like the Vizios myself.[/quote97c9bff59f]

"This Black Friday" is a LONG WAYS AWAY![/quote97c9bff59f]

Yeah I know but I'm a really big cheapskate... I can wait.. my tv is one heavy beast but the picture quality is pretty good to me.

topbillin1

27-01-2008 20:55:08

http//www.amazon.com/Samsung-TXT3093-Widescreen-SlimFit-HDTV/dp/B000NPCK2S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201496024&sr=1-2

that's my tv, thing is a good 185... lol

MyungChunHa

28-01-2008 09:20:44

One thing from working at the Circuit City call center; Don't know about a few months from now, but I do know that Vizio has an RTV contract with Circuit City. Basically meaning that if anything at all goes wrong with the tv, and your still under warranty then you get it replaced instead of repairing it and we Return the broken one To the Vendor and that's on all Vizio models.

Don't know if that's a good or bad thing, because I always assumed it meant the tv's were cheap and Vizio agrees that some of them will break down very early in it's life and so they are trying to help the consumers