I need Internet Explorer 6

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72988

jawaune

16-01-2008 17:41:06

Can anybody help me to get internet explorer 6? I brought a new computer that has Windows Vista which came with Internet Explorer 7 pre installed. Does anybody have any tips or any website tips where I can go that lets me install a version of IE6

doylnea

16-01-2008 17:59:14

Why do you want IE6? Generally you can uninstall IE7 and you can revert to IE6 (don't know if this works on Vista though)

Can you just download and install IE6 from here http//www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/default.mspx?

dmorris68

16-01-2008 18:05:59

IE6 doesn't work on Vista. The only way I know of to uninstall IE7 is if you actually installed IE7 yourself (such as you would on XP). Since it comes with Vista, there is no uninstall option. Unless somebody has hacked it out, but I'm not sure I'd trust that given how deeply it's hooked into the OS.

If you're going to run Vista, you're stuck with IE7. Unless you run Firefox, like I do. ;)

forexmarsx

16-01-2008 20:18:37

best way to do is using firefox. I have had the same issue with ie7. Some features were not compatible with the sites i built. When i downloaded firefox mozilla everything is working 100% now.
You should try it too.

jawaune

17-01-2008 05:09:25

I guess your right ( I really hate IE7 thougg. It sucks from head to toe. I can't use it to do offers and I just dont like the way it looks. I did downlowd firefox already. I figured I probably couldn't uninstall it since it came pre installed with vista. I was just thinking I could have IE6 and IE7 both installed at the same time.

IE7 Sucks!!! Vista Sucks!!! I miss XP!!

TFOAF

17-01-2008 05:39:00

[quote8fef1b41e5="jawaune"]I guess your right ( I really hate IE7 thougg. It sucks from head to toe. I can't use it to do offers and I just dont like the way it looks. I did downlowd firefox already. I figured I probably couldn't uninstall it since it came pre installed with vista. I was just thinking I could have IE6 and IE7 both installed at the same time.

IE7 Sucks!!! Vista Sucks!!! I miss XP!![/quote8fef1b41e5]
It actually looks nice, but that's besides the point. Why can't you do offers with it? You can.

phriq

17-01-2008 07:16:24

[quote34e5df5d98="jawaune"]I guess your right ( I really hate IE7 thougg. It sucks from head to toe. I can't use it to do offers and I just dont like the way it looks. I did downlowd firefox already. I figured I probably couldn't uninstall it since it came pre installed with vista. I was just thinking I could have IE6 and IE7 both installed at the same time.

IE7 Sucks!!! Vista Sucks!!! I miss XP!![/quote34e5df5d98]

I have had no trouble doing and complete offers with IE7, I did most of, and received my xbox using IE7, it should work out. just make sure you have cookies enabled and what not. I think theres a thead on doing offers somewhere, If I find it, I will post it for you.

dmorris68

17-01-2008 10:23:35

IMO at this point, I think Vista is fine, as is IE7. I have finally converted all of my Windows machines except for the wife's to Vista, and have had no issues. I just don't like IE7 enough to leave Firefox, but from what I've had to use it, it worked better than IE6. It is much more standards-compliant than IE6 and below -- if you're having problems with web designs, it's probably because the site used non-standard IE-specific hacks in the first place, which is a no-no and something I can seriously get on a soapbox about. IE7 is much closer to Firefox in implementation of modern Web standards.

h3x

19-01-2008 15:11:30

[quote2c4b4bc964="dmorris68"]I have finally converted all of my Windows machines except for the wife's to Vista, and have had no issues.[/quote2c4b4bc964]

It is only a matter of time...

dmorris68

20-01-2008 20:16:46

[quote5d896c8a43="h3x"][quote5d896c8a43="dmorris68"]I have finally converted all of my Windows machines except for the wife's to Vista, and have had no issues.[/quote5d896c8a43]

It is only a matter of time...[/quote5d896c8a43]
For?...

TFOAF

20-01-2008 20:38:52

[quotebcdd469e54="dmorris68"][quotebcdd469e54="h3x"][quotebcdd469e54="dmorris68"]I have finally converted all of my Windows machines except for the wife's to Vista, and have had no issues.[/quotebcdd469e54]

It is only a matter of time...[/quotebcdd469e54]
For?...[/quotebcdd469e54]
Microsoft uses some brainwashing technique to make us all purchase their software forever. (

TryinToGetPaid

21-01-2008 06:27:13

I think h3x was referring to the "no issues" part of the sentence. Though I am surprised I have been using Vista for a good while now, with no problems, hang ups, or freezes.

dmorris68

21-01-2008 07:39:28

If I were going to have Vista issues, I would have had them by now. I think relatively few people tax an operating system as much as I do. ;)

Vista was very rough around the edges when it was released -- I was a beta tester, so I'm familiar with it from way back. When it went RTM, I installed Ultimate on one of my systems, but it was all but unusable. Most of my hardware and many of my apps weren't supported. Game performance was horrible. A year later, however, and things are night & day better. I'm no Microsoft fanboy by any stretch, but the haters are either ignorant or just too proud. Vista brings several enhancements to the table, and outside of games where you take maybe a 10-20% performance hit (currently), most everything else tends to be faster than XP. Even with the Aero eyecandy turned on.

I'm still a Linux fan, and would be running it exclusively if not for some things I do that just demand Windows. So for me, I'm sold on Vista as a usable Windows OS. shrug

TFOAF

21-01-2008 07:57:10

Do you think that Microsoft will eventually fix the performance issues with games? Do you think a fix for these issues will be part of Vista SP1?

phriq

21-01-2008 09:38:57

[quotebbc845030f="TFOAF"]Do you think that Microsoft will eventually fix the performance issues with games? Do you think a fix for these issues will be part of Vista SP1?[/quotebbc845030f]

I just find it ironic that games do suck horriblely on Vista, even after it was supposed to be the OS that brought PC gaming far beyond anything else. I just dual boot now. Vista only used for Vista exclusive games and XP for everything else.

SP 1 hopefully will be a complete over haul of Vista.

dmorris68

21-01-2008 10:36:22

I've been running SP1 RC1 on my notebook for weeks now, but haven't tried it on my gaming rig. I'm not aware of any major breakthroughs in gaming performance from it, however. The virtual memory I/O patch that's been out for months significantly increased gaming performance. And yes, over time I expect both Microsoft and driver developers to optimize things further, but at the expense of further XP optimizations. After awhile, I expect you'll have much better support for Vista than for XP.

If you have a marginal XP gaming rig, i.e. one that plays most games at midrange resolutions and settings, but gets a little choppy when you max things out, then you'll really notice the Vista hit and won't like it. However if you play under XP at maxed out settings already, chances are you won't really notice the Vista penalty at all, outside of raw benchmark numbers.

I started out dual-booting XP for gaming, but I tend to game in short interludes, taking a break from desktop work to blow of some steam, then go back to the desktop. Dual-booting is a major PITA for that, so I eventually stopped booting XP and gamed in Vista. It went surprisingly well -- I finished CoD4 SP under Vista with my old rig, and after upgrading I play Crysis as 1920x1200 with all settings on High, and it's very smooth and playable. I haven't even tried DX10 mode yet, that's just DX9 mode.

If you have the PC muscle, Vista gaming is perfectly acceptable, if not quite as fast as XP. However if you already struggle keeping up on XP, you won't like Vista for gaming.