Computer on TV Help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72901

hairyferry

13-01-2008 12:29:22

So I just hooked the computer up to the TV, but it's kinda blury. Its hooked up through S video. I have another connection I want to try but the TV comes up that it's not supported. It's a dvi to hdmi. When I have this cable hooked up I can see it boot on the TV but once it gets to the desktop it flashes off and thats when it says it's not supported. Anyone have this problem or know how I can get a better picture?

Kev

hehehhehe

13-01-2008 12:43:18

It maybe a resolution problem (the HDMI hookup). Can you go to Settings in Display Settings and see the TV on there as a second monitor? If so, you should lower the resolution to something like 800x600 and try that.

I don't know your setup but I doubt it's an HDCP thing since your TV is most likely HDCP compliant.

hairyferry

13-01-2008 13:23:37

i droped it down to that resolution and it's still not working

hehehhehe

13-01-2008 14:33:21

How about even lower like 640 x 480? What kind of TV is it (resolution), and what kind of connection are you using?

hairyferry

13-01-2008 14:52:42

it's a dvi at one end that plugs into the computer and hdmi that plugs into the TV. The tv is a lcd 1080P. The lowest resolution I can put the computer at is the 800x600. It's weird because the s video handles it just fine and even the dvi and hdmi works until the desktop shows up.

kev

doylnea

13-01-2008 15:37:34

what kind of video card do you have? also, often times you need to have either both the TV and Monitor connected at the same time during the initial connection, or have the TV on when you boot the PC. My 42" Panasonic Plasma was automatically recognized by my nVidia video card when I powered on the PC.

hairyferry

13-01-2008 16:12:41

This is the one I have

MSI RX300HM-TD128E Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 256MB Hyper Memory(128M on board) 64-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

ClassAct

14-01-2008 06:55:56

I thought maybe I could get some help in this topic, I have a Sharp Aquous HDTV, it has the 2 hdmi slots componet cables and everything, it also has one that says computer in, is that a vga slot, cause I have been debating buying a vga cable for my dreamcast, just not sure if it will work.

dmorris68

14-01-2008 10:19:48

[quote7a10c91eaa="hairyferry"]it's a dvi at one end that plugs into the computer and hdmi that plugs into the TV. The tv is a lcd 1080P. The lowest resolution I can put the computer at is the 800x600. It's weird because the s video handles it just fine and even the dvi and hdmi works until the desktop shows up.

kev[/quote7a10c91eaa]
The BIOS and Windows loading screens are low-resolution, which you said are displaying, but when the desktop loads it goes blank? It sounds like your desktop is set to a resolution or frequency that the TV cannot display. Svideo is severely limited in resolution, which is probably why it always appears -- the vidcard forces output to standard NTSC signal (even 800x600 is beyond Svideo, so the vidcard down-scales, further adding to the blurriness). DVD/HDMI is not as limited and can display hi-res, but it has to be set correctly to match your TV, usually a proper HD res like 480p, 720p, or 1080p.

You could try reconnecting your computer to a computer monitor, then set the desktop resolution to 640x480 at 60Hz. This is a lowest common denominator setting that your TV would likely accept, since 480p happens to be a valid HD resolution. Then make sure the TV power is on and the correct HDMI input selected before powering up the PC. If that works, then you can see if your Windows driver will allow you to choose from a higher HD resolution (720p or 1080p). If not, you may have to get PowerStrip, a utility commonly used by HTPC folks to allow custom resolutions and timings. It may be daunting for a beginner though, so you might check out the HTPC forums, as well as your TV brand forum, at sites like avsforum.com, for further guidance with your specific TV.

[quote7a10c91eaa="ClassAct"]I thought maybe I could get some help in this topic, I have a Sharp Aquous HDTV, it has the 2 hdmi slots componet cables and everything, it also has one that says computer in, is that a vga slot, cause I have been debating buying a vga cable for my dreamcast, just not sure if it will work.[/quote7a10c91eaa]
In almost all cases, the HDMI inputs will give you a better image than the analog VGA input. Just get a DVI-to-HDMI cable for your DVI videocard. Many TV's limit their VGA inputs to 1024x768 and the like. However some devices don't support DVI/HDMI, so VGA is typically the next best video signal.

hairyferry

14-01-2008 14:08:11

Thanks big D. Today I got home and got it working, the picture is amazing, almost as good as the monitor I had, now the question is how do I get sound through the TV without having to set up surround sound?

doylnea

14-01-2008 15:55:00

Does the TV have speakers, or are you trying to run the computer audio to a receiver?

hairyferry

14-01-2008 16:31:15

yeah the TV has speakers, I don't really want to hook up a surround sound.

hehehhehe

14-01-2008 16:33:28

In that case you need to hook up a 3.5mm Cable (PC) to 2 RCA Jack cable (TV).

hairyferry

14-01-2008 16:37:21

Yeah I have one of those but how do I set it up? It's running HDMI which has sound and there are no other sound inputs for that.

dmorris68

14-01-2008 17:24:09

HDMI carries sound, but your TV should also accept stereo RCA inputs. HDMI audio is optional and not every piece of equipment supports it well. You should have a configuration in your TV setup menu that lets you enable/disable HDMI audio, and/or map the HDMI audio to one of the RCA inputs.

Of course, if you're going to have such a nice TV, you really need an audio system. It's a shame to waste a good TV experience on TV speakers. P

hairyferry

14-01-2008 18:00:00

[quote8f417a9f31="dmorris68"]HDMI carries sound, but your TV should also accept stereo RCA inputs. HDMI audio is optional and not every piece of equipment supports it well. You should have a configuration in your TV setup menu that lets you enable/disable HDMI audio, and/or map the HDMI audio to one of the RCA inputs.

Of course, if you're going to have such a nice TV, you really need an audio system. It's a shame to waste a good TV experience on TV speakers. P[/quote8f417a9f31]

haha, this is the TV that is in my room on the wall. I haven't gotten the wifey to let me have a 7 speaker surround sound in our room yet.. haha.

forexmarsx

16-01-2008 20:21:44

best way to connect a computer to a TV is using a Digital Method. Using S-Video or VGA is not direct Digital Signal. Best way is using HDMI or other method. I use my TV as the monitor, the reason for that I have HDOUTPUT on my computer.

Good luck