Best iPod FM transmitter?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72403

Killer722

24-12-2007 19:40:19

I'm looking for a good FM transmitter for my iPod to use in my car. Anyone have any recommendations? There's an ebayer that sells the Griffin iTrips for very cheap so I was thinking of getting one of those. I'm pretty much broke so I'm looking for something cheap that just works well with good quality.

Also, if anyone has one they're selling, just post and I'll consider it.

Thanks.

ajasax

25-12-2007 00:42:01

I'd say the RoadTrip ones are worth the money. Charge your iPod and use any FM frequency you want. Plus it doubles as a holder! I think they run for ~$40 on Amazon, or you can probably find one cheaper on fleaBay.

Fugger

26-12-2007 12:09:10

I live about... 25 miles out of Chicago and those FM transmitters are essentially useless around here. Even if you get a good station, odds are it will be overlapping on something in a few miles.

I'd really suggest going with something that lets you directly attach, even if via tape deck. I'd take a tape deck adapter any day over an FM one, however, if I were forced to choose anything that lets you pick from any FM station would be the best. I had one that only let you pick from 8 pre-programmed stations. Unless you live in the boonies, those are bad bad bad.

dmorris68

26-12-2007 20:41:55

Yeah, any built-up area is going to not have any open FM slots. It's even hard to find them around here where I live, because I'm between Atlanta and Chattanooga.

I second the direct-connect route. Tape adapter will always sound better than any FM transmitter, but direct-connect will be even better. That's what I did, opting for a USA Spec model[=http//www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=305250&i=581PA12TOY&tp=120]a USA Spec model that connects to my factory radio's auxilliary CD changer input. The sound quality is pristine, and the adapter includes extra aux inputs that I use for my XM receiver, so that both my XM and my iPod benefit from direct connect.

JKirk

27-12-2007 10:26:07

I'm going to have to give the iTrip a thumbs down. I bought a cheap one off eBay a couple months ago myself and it was terrible. I would always find an open radio station and then as I moved across town it would get interference. Talk about a distraction.. trying to find an empty station and program your iTrip AND drive through traffic all at the same.

samz465

27-12-2007 13:35:57

I've used the cassette adapter and I think it works just fine.
It isn't AS clear as the Aux inputs, but hey, for $10 it's a steal. The only thing is that sometimes when you adjust the volume too high on your ipod, or too high on your stereo, the sound gets a little fuzzy, so you have to find that in between neutral spot.

gafdpc

27-12-2007 13:59:37

Same experience with the cassette player. I keep my volume between 1/2 and 2/3 on my iPod and adjust the rest on the stereo.

Jams44

27-12-2007 19:23:43

Cassette player is great. I have an aux on one car which is definitely better in the bass aspect but overall the tape works great. I used to have an iTrip that worked with the 3rd gen iPod and it was heavy duty and great. Now all this Belkin crap sucks balls. I live in Chicago and wouldn't dare to try and attempt to set it up on a specific station.

Killer722

27-12-2007 21:27:54

I have a cassette adapter and believe me, I'd love to use it, but my Firebird's tape player doesn't accept them. The tape player only plays the tape when it feels no tension on the reels, and since the adapters are just basically empty tension, it just ejects the tape. It even says specifically in the owner's manual that cassette adapters will not work.

FM transmitters work fine in my area. My friend uses one and it sounds flawless. I bid on one of the iTrips on ebay but I'm thinking I shouldn't get it. I guess I could always install a new system with an aux input or a tape player that works, but then I wouldn't get the sexy red lighting out of it. FM transmitter is my best option so I'm gonna keep looking for one. Thanks for the responses everyone.

dmorris, I would totally dig the direct connect route, but I don't think I'm ready to mess with any internals just yet.

doylnea

02-01-2008 11:20:51

[quoted77a35b287="Killer722"]dmorris, I would totally dig the direct connect route, but I don't think I'm ready to mess with any internals just yet.[/quoted77a35b287]

I gave one to my SO for a birthday gift and it took me less than 10 minutes to install using nothing more than wire snips and a wire stripper. Don't be intimidated.

Killer722

02-01-2008 20:04:21

[quote23622f4a95="doylnea"][quote23622f4a95="Killer722"]dmorris, I would totally dig the direct connect route, but I don't think I'm ready to mess with any internals just yet.[/quote23622f4a95]

I gave one to my SO for a birthday gift and it took me less than 10 minutes to install using nothing more than wire snips and a wire stripper. Don't be intimidated.[/quote23622f4a95]

Fair enough, but the price is what really kills it for me, to be honest. I'm just trying to get something that's very cheap because I'm literally broke after buying the car so as much as I'd love it, I don't think it's gonna happen. Thanks anyway guys.

theysayjump

02-01-2008 21:08:09

I got an iTrip for using at work. It sits on top of a radio and works fine, but if you pick it up and stand up, it gets fuzzy, so the range is awful, but I didn't have a problem finding an open slot and the quality is good.

I use a tape adapter in the car and even though it still sounds kinda shite, it's still much better than the iTrip.