I need some advice/help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72201

zr2152

15-12-2007 23:23:08

Okay so I have a Toshiba laptop and it has been giving me issues for 2 years. Let me give you a quick history of repairs and new hardwars I have gotten recently due to shitty performance

Spring of 06- New Burner
Summer of 06-New HD, Fan
Spring of 07- New Motheboard.

Now with all, I basically got a new computer.

NOW it is doing something that I feel has to do with the motherboard.

Problems
1. When booting, SOMETIMES freezes when windows is loading.
2. If Windows loads, it'll freeze up within 0-5 hours of operation when stationary.
3. If not frozen, my wireless will sometimes shut off and not repair.
4. Sometimes, when I attempt to burn, I get a hardware error
5. Also, when I move it, itll freeze up and it takes forever to shut down, sometimes I have to hold the button down for a few mintues.
6. When I exit programs sometimes, they will "still be running" but not under my performances.
7. When I used to unplug it, I get a power saver error.
8. Sometimes, the left 2 inches of my screen is black and everything is adjusted according to that so it is just like my screen shrinks.
9. Finally got the blue error screen tonight.

What I have done
1. Checked HD for errors-Perfect condition
2. Check power supply
3. RAM is good
4. Did a DEEP virus scan-nothing
5. Had my tech services at school open it up and look for loose parts-nothing.
6. My tech at school cleaned out some dust but still getting problems.
7. I have checked for driver updates and everything-nothing is wrong.

I do not know what the problem is except that it MUST be something with the Motherboard. I am pissed cause my Circuit City plan expired this summer, but I feel like these problems shouldnt be happening if everything was fixed correctly. I feel like they gave me used devices.

I take really good care of my laptop except for the fact that I move it a lot to like classes and out of my room and what not. If anyone can give me some advice or direction as to what to do, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't really have the money for a new laptop but I would gladly sell this one if someone wants it for parts so that I can get a new one.

PLEASE HELP and thanks for reading this lengthy note.

Much +K will be given.

Love,
Zach

zr2152

16-12-2007 12:46:41

Could it be a serious virus?

I'm thinking that cause I rebooted my comp from the blue screen this morning and I got that window error thing saying that Windows recovered from a serious error-but it was frozen.

hehehhehe

16-12-2007 15:14:54

Well, I read through your post before but can't really help so I didn't comment. Did you have the same problems before you replaced the mobo? I assume you already tried formatting and reinstalling the OS?

Try running a Ubuntu Live disc for a day to see if it runs well or not.

zr2152

16-12-2007 15:19:16

[quote7d09839e73="hehehhehe"]Well, I read through your post before but can't really help so I didn't comment. Did you have the same problems before you replaced the mobo? I assume you already tried formatting and reinstalling the OS?

Try running a Ubuntu Live disc for a day to see if it runs well or not.[/quote7d09839e73]

See no my ITS services here told me that it wouldnt help cause it seems like it is not the HD. They told me that it was something internally other than the HD.

I want to reformat and reinstall windows still and ill do that monday. BUT as for having problems before, I never had the freezing problem but I did have the problem with the left side of the screen blacking out on my before and that was fixed when the motherboard was replaced.

If it is the MoBO, im guessing it would be wiser to invest in a new laptop other than replacing that expensive part.

hehehhehe

16-12-2007 16:39:18

Try the ubuntu livecd to see if it runs any better, that way you'll know if it's a bad OS install or hardware.

zr2152

16-12-2007 17:38:31

[quoted1b62808c2="hehehhehe"]Try the ubuntu livecd to see if it runs any better, that way you'll know if it's a bad OS install or hardware.[/quoted1b62808c2]

Sorry for the noobis question but where can I get this? Can I get it onilne (from a diff laptop or course) and then burn it to a disc?

Also, Do I run it as windows is loading, like put it in as im booting?

guelah75

16-12-2007 18:22:41

http//releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/

download, burn to disc

restart computer with disc in (if that doesn't work go into the bios and change the boot order so that the cd/dvd drive is first)

try it out, the live cd version will not affect your windows install

TFOAF

16-12-2007 18:45:48

[quote05816f36b3="zr2152"]Could it be a serious virus?

I'm thinking that cause I rebooted my comp from the blue screen this morning and I got that window error thing saying that Windows recovered from a serious error-but it was frozen.[/quote05816f36b3]
That happened to me today, but my computer is functioning fine, so I disregarded it as a "bug" in Windows. P

And any time Windows can't boot properly and a blue screen comes up, in Vista, Windows tells you it recovered from a "serious" problem. P

zr2152

17-12-2007 12:26:56

okay so i was in the middle of reinstalling XP and it freaking froze when ther were 34 minutes left, over and over again. I rebooted and it continued the setup but keeps freezing at the same time. So now not only am i having troubel with it freezing, I cant even run windows can it wont reinstall.

manOFice

17-12-2007 12:56:01

[quote3218e9a0fe="zr2152"]okay so i was in the middle of reinstalling XP and it freaking froze when ther were 34 minutes left, over and over again. I rebooted and it continued the setup but keeps freezing at the same time. So now not only am i having troubel with it freezing, I cant even run windows can it wont reinstall.[/quote3218e9a0fe]

Get a different copy, might be corrupt

zr2152

17-12-2007 13:07:44

[quotef6b8d5016f="manOFice"][quotef6b8d5016f="zr2152"]okay so i was in the middle of reinstalling XP and it freaking froze when ther were 34 minutes left, over and over again. I rebooted and it continued the setup but keeps freezing at the same time. So now not only am i having troubel with it freezing, I cant even run windows can it wont reinstall.[/quotef6b8d5016f]

Get a different copy, might be corrupt[/quotef6b8d5016f]

It's not my copy, it is someone elses. But then again the fact that it is freezing at the same point each time may mean that it is corrupted, correct?

manOFice

17-12-2007 13:11:23

[quote8b22fc1a24="zr2152"][quote8b22fc1a24="manOFice"][quote8b22fc1a24="zr2152"]okay so i was in the middle of reinstalling XP and it freaking froze when ther were 34 minutes left, over and over again. I rebooted and it continued the setup but keeps freezing at the same time. So now not only am i having troubel with it freezing, I cant even run windows can it wont reinstall.[/quote8b22fc1a24]

Get a different copy, might be corrupt[/quote8b22fc1a24]

It's not my copy, it is someone elses. But then again the fact that it is freezing at the same point each time may mean that it is corrupted, correct?[/quote8b22fc1a24]

Perhaps yeah

theysayjump

17-12-2007 20:45:01

I recently installed a custom, unattended version of XP Pro and it also stalled with 34 minutes left. I restarted and tried again and it worked, but I'd try hehehhehe's suggestion and see if Ubuntu works well from CD.

zr2152

17-12-2007 21:50:45

Yeah i am about to do that. Also, another theory as to why it might not be working may be due to a bad section on my HD since it was stalling at the same point time and time again. If that is surely the case and it can be located, I can get someone to fix it to where Windows downloads the files at another located other than the damaged on.

zr2152

19-12-2007 16:09:17

OMG-Linux WORKED! I have no idea what was going on with windows but I am now online from my laptop.

Also, I need some assistance getting this beast set up again.

I tried to sync some of my files off my exernal HD but for some reason, it wont open it cause it says it cant find the extension to open WD_sync.

Also, I cannot get my wireless configuration to find my college's wirelss so I am LAN at the moment.

Any help would be great and thanks O so much for telling me to do this. I just wish that I could get windows to work again.

Oh and can I run all the programs that I run on windows such as Azureus?

h3x

20-12-2007 06:03:31

[quoteebfc369737="zr2152"]OMG-Linux WORKED! I have no idea what was going on with windows but I am now online from my laptop.[/quoteebfc369737]

Thats why I strictly use Linux for almost all of my tasks. Also, you don't have to get rid of Windows to make the switch

I keep a small partition (1/3 of the disk) and dedicate it to the few programs that can't run on Linux.

I would have to say about 90-95% of the tasks I perform on the computer can run on Linux. The other 5-10% are those programs that I don't use on a daily basis (now and then).

If you decide to install Linux, here is a good reference for getting started with Ubuntu and making the transition.

http//www.ubuntuguide.org

hehehhehe

20-12-2007 07:59:08

[quote51a9054ab3="zr2152"]OMG-Linux WORKED! I have no idea what was going on with windows but I am now online from my laptop.

Also, I need some assistance getting this beast set up again.

I tried to sync some of my files off my exernal HD but for some reason, it wont open it cause it says it cant find the extension to open WD_sync.

Also, I cannot get my wireless configuration to find my college's wirelss so I am LAN at the moment.

Any help would be great and thanks O so much for telling me to do this. I just wish that I could get windows to work again.

Oh and can I run all the programs that I run on windows such as Azureus?[/quote51a9054ab3]
So are you using the Live CD or did you install ubuntu on the hard drive?

zr2152

20-12-2007 23:35:56

I installed it on the HD BUT, i am still having problems with the laptop loading so I think it is the MB. I am going to call CC Advantage Plan tomorrow cause they replaced my MB in April but the fact that I am still having problems with it really pisses me off.

They better fix it even though my plane expired in August. It is just ridic that they replaced my MB and I am still having problems with it, it shouldnt be like that and they should fix it cause they fucked up.

I'm PIssed.

forexmarsx

16-01-2008 20:47:51

Alright issues may start with the following.
If you bought new harddrive (That's not an Issue, it's only DATA)
If you bought a Motherboard, that's an update so that's still not an issue. (BUT) you cannot just use the same motherboard with that HD because the SYSTEM CODE does not match. I bet you reinstalled or did something after you changed the motherboard.
3rd is MEMORY. Make sure that you have the right RAM installed. Most Toshiba's don't like different MHZ. Best way is to check the motherboard's specifications. If you still have issue with your computer, PM me and i will try to help you out. Or post your Question here and ill reply

Good luck