buying a dual monitor capable pc

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=71827

freedesktoppc

02-12-2007 17:32:20

I am helping a friend buy a PC, and we want to do dual 20" wide screens out of the box. Building is not an option in this case. Does anyone know of one of the big PC manufacturers that offers such an option. Money is not a real issue here, but as there will be no gaming done, going with an SLI setup just for dual monitors seems pretty damn wasteful. Any other suggestions, other than upgrading/building myself?

Edit I actually just found a breakdown on the dell website for their video cards, they more or less all say that they are dual monitor capable, but only some of them are dual-dvi. Does this imply that the others would have one rgb, and one dvi?

hehehhehe

02-12-2007 17:58:34

[quotec374f339fb="freedesktoppc"]Edit I actually just found a breakdown on the dell website for their video cards, they more or less all say that they are dual monitor capable, but only some of them are dual-dvi. Does this imply that the others would have one rgb, and one dvi?[/quotec374f339fb]
vga? Yeah, probably. I'd think that any pc you get with a decent video card would, at the minimum, have 1 VGA and 1 DVI.

Daggoth

02-12-2007 18:23:36

[quote2122d1d561="freedesktoppc"]I am helping a friend buy a PC, and we want to do dual 20" wide screens out of the box. Building is not an option in this case. Does anyone know of one of the big PC manufacturers that offers such an option. Money is not a real issue here, but as there will be no gaming done, going with an SLI setup just for dual monitors seems pretty damn wasteful. Any other suggestions, other than upgrading/building myself?

Edit I actually just found a breakdown on the dell website for their video cards, they more or less all say that they are dual monitor capable, but only some of them are dual-dvi. Does this imply that the others would have one rgb, and one dvi?[/quote2122d1d561]

Nowadays, most video cards have two DVI outputs, so SLI is only needed for four monitors. I am curious as to know why building is not an option. Anyway, buy the cheapest computer you can with a PCI-express slot and just buy a $50 video card that has two outputs. Plus, you can always use DVI to VGA (or vice versa) converters if that is an issue.

moola

23-12-2007 20:44:09

Step one Buy any computer out there.
Step two If it has no video card or current video card has only 1 DVI output, buy a video card that has two DVI outputs (really cheap).
Step three Swap with current video card. Sell old video card on ebay.
Step four Profit.

Jams44

27-12-2007 19:26:04

[quote7b5b710a81="moola"]
Step four [b7b5b710a81]Profit.[/b7b5b710a81][/quote7b5b710a81]

Maybe not that far.

ajasax

27-12-2007 22:20:00

LOL. It's an internet meme. It usually goes

1. Collect ______
2. ?????
3. Profit!

Taken from a South Park episode where gnomes collect underpants to make profit.
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underpants_Gnomes#The_Gnomes

Jams44

28-12-2007 10:00:03

ha, ya I understood. I meant it in a very light sense. )