Modem Question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=71455

zr2152

20-11-2007 13:17:20

Okay so I'm going home for Thanksgiving and I want to be able to play Xbox Live in my basement where we always hang out. The problem with that is the computer that my parents have is upstairs with the wireless router so there is no way that I can plug and ethernet cord into it, and wireless is not an option cause it sucks.

So, when I lived here in PA this summer, I had comcast cable and internet and I bought a modem from them. If I use a splitter and plug 2 cables (one into my modem and one into the TV) and then use that modem to run an ethernet cable to my 360, will the IP let me do this or will I have conflicting IPs?

I just wonder if I can have 2 modems in the same house and ive never heard of anyone doing so.

TFOAF

20-11-2007 14:38:59

You could always get a range extender...and then go wireless.

samz465

20-11-2007 16:37:08

[quote3cdd952d3f="TFOAF"]You could always get a range extender...and then go wireless.[/quote3cdd952d3f]
Yeah.
That's what my brother uses to get full coverage in his house. They work surprisingly well.

I don't know the exact model number of his, but it was a Linksys that he purchased from geeks.com for around $50.

dmorris68

20-11-2007 16:56:45

No, not without paying for two ISP connections. Cable modems are activated and tied to an account via MAC address. If the MAC of the modem is not activated in their system (and thus, being billed) then you won't get an IP.

WiFi or a REALLY long CAT5 cable are your only choices. Personally, I'd go with WiFi.

zr2152

20-11-2007 20:56:16

[quotebe5d416185="dmorris68"]No, not without paying for two ISP connections. Cable modems are activated and tied to an account via MAC address. If the MAC of the modem is not activated in their system (and thus, being billed) then you won't get an IP.

WiFi or a REALLY long CAT5 cable are your only choices. Personally, I'd go with WiFi.[/quotebe5d416185]

Well i tried it and when I ran my xbox live connection check all I got was an MTU error and I couldnt figure out how to fix it. I tried the support on microsoft's website but still couldnt figure it out. Im assuming it is because of the whole mac address thing.