External Hard Drive

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=71454

ipodlover1

20-11-2007 13:10:29

So I need to boot from an external hard drive, but the closest thing i have to that is my ipod. And to use this, i have to completely reformat it, causing me to lose all my music (which is not on my computer). Is there any way I can back up the files on my ipod?

OR

Can I use another laptop as an external hard drive? Thanks in advance.

EDIT I guess another question would be can I repartition my ipod to GUID without erasing everything from it?

jeagle82

20-11-2007 16:54:07

There are tons of great, cheap/free programs out there that can move everything from your iPod to your computer (music, videos, pictures, etc.). Just do a google search.

You can definitely use another laptop's harddrive but you will need to remove the harddrive from the laptop and you can use a 2.5” hard drive adapter and connect the laptop hard drive directly to a desktop computer through the IDE connector on the system board.

You can also use an external USB enclosure for laptop hard drives. I think that would be the easiest and fastest way to access your data. You can find an external USB enclosure in any computer shop and it would cost you about $20-$30.

Good luck whatever you do. )

guelah75

20-11-2007 17:25:58

sounds like a leopard install?

I bought an internal hard drive and put it in an enclosure

didn't cost that much

ipodlover1

21-11-2007 10:40:09

Thanks guys. I was able to restore the leopard dvd install to my iPod, but now I'm having a hard time using the ipod as the startup disk. I've already gone into system prefs and selected the ipod as the startup disk, but when I choose to restart it just goes to the white screen, flashes an icon of a folder with a ? on it, and then goes to the apple icon and uses the internal hard drive as the startup. Any ideas?

guelah75

21-11-2007 12:15:59

you have to hold down the option key when you restart, then you will see the two hard drives as icons on the screen. The internal one and the ipod click on the ipod hard drive and it will boot from that drive

ipodlover1

21-11-2007 18:26:21

So I finally was able to boot from the ipod, then go through the leopard installation process. But now when I tried to restart my macbook and boot from the hard drive, it just goes to the loading screen with the apple icon and loads forever. It never ends up getting past that step. Why is this?

guelah75

21-11-2007 19:14:16

blue screen could last for up to 3 hours

but if you want to skip that try the two links below

link[=http//docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306857]link
option B may help you out

another link[=http//www.engadget.com/2007/10/28/getting-leopards-bsod-try-uninstalling-ape/]another link
may help as well

check out the comments as well

referralman

28-11-2007 13:16:08

leopord is terrible just as vista, i have heard that downgrading is the best way to go.

"are we not ready for technology or is technology not ready for us?" - ME haha.

TFOAF

28-11-2007 15:20:17

[quote738177ea04="referralman"]leopord is terrible just as vista, i have heard that downgrading is the best way to go.

"are we not ready for technology or is technology not ready for us?" - ME haha.[/quote738177ea04]
Woah. What?! I'm not really a Mac person, though I will be soon because of Boot Camp. However, Leopard is fantastic. I can tell you that much. And it's a lot better than Vista.

referralman

28-11-2007 18:09:26

[quote279b3ef091="TFOAF"][quote279b3ef091="referralman"]leopord is terrible just as vista, i have heard that downgrading is the best way to go.

"are we not ready for technology or is technology not ready for us?" - ME haha.[/quote279b3ef091]
Woah. What?! I'm not really a Mac person, though I will be soon because of Boot Camp. However, Leopard is fantastic. I can tell you that much. And it's a lot better than Vista.[/quote279b3ef091]

yes it is better than Vista but every new software is terrible... yes its amazing but there are so many problems lmao. my friend called me over to check it out and yay! all i got to see was BLUE SCREEN

just go to google and search " Leopard install problem "

TFOAF

28-11-2007 18:55:44

Leopard was named the best operating system ever created. (I forgot where, I think CNET or something...or some known technology guy.)

guelah75

28-11-2007 19:28:40

maybe your friend just didn't know how to install it?

seems to be the problem with windows and mac and linux.....user errors

I run all three and love each one for different reasons

Also there is a sense of adventure and being on the cutting edge having the latest OS's