laptop power cords are junk. replacements?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=71265

gnznroses

13-11-2007 20:34:43

i have a toshiba laptop/tablet whose power cord has croaked. first it got to wher eyou had to have ti in just the right position for it to charge the battery, then it stopped working completely. so we bought a new cord off of ebay. it didn't last long at all and now it just doesn't work. it was hard to even find that one. one with the right amps & volts rating (actually, i read only one of those matters but i forget whch. amps maybe?).
anyone have similar problems (my aunt had the same prob with her laptop) or know where to get a good replacement?

dmorris68

14-11-2007 06:12:17

Those types of connectors take a lot of abuse. The wires inside are of a small gauge and if you move your laptop around a lot while plugged in, the constant bending causes them to break and short out. If you treat them carefully though, they should last a reasonably long time. I only use my plugs when my laptop is somewhat stationary, otherwise I stick to battery whenever possible. I have seldom had problems with my laptop connectors.

As far as volts vs amps the correct voltage is the most critical. If your laptop requires, say, 13.2V, then the replacement PSU must deliver 13.2V, or as close as possible. Amps have a lot more leeway -- you can use a PSU rated at a higher amperage than the laptop specs, but you should never go lower. The amperage rating of a PSU is the maximum amount of current it is able to safely provide, while the device itself will draw only as much current as it needs to function. If your PSU amperage is overrated, then fine, but if it's underrated then the device could overload it. However it's always best to match the factory spec as close as possible, because higher amp PSU's are less efficient and generate more heat while using more power.

DRay9911

14-11-2007 11:50:56

try going through the main site

litoshibali[=http//www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/nbsrch.jsp?s=25%204294967249+4294966961&in_dim_srch=1]litoshibali

they look pricey, but probably better in the long run to go through toshiba directly.

-dan

zr2152

14-11-2007 12:26:37

[quotee184496990="DRay9911"]try going through the main site

litoshibali[=http//www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/nbsrch.jsp?s=25%204294967249+4294966961&in_dim_srch=1]litoshibali

they look pricey, but probably better in the long run to go through toshiba directly.

-dan[/quotee184496990]

Yeah I had to get a new cord for my toshiba after about 2 years. It cost me like $70 bucks but at least I have a working cord.
shrug

gnznroses

14-11-2007 14:22:13

funny thing is, i use my laptop about an hour a week, but other people use it constantly. my brother bought the last cord, and i think it was $25-$30.
thr first cord lasted just a few months, and the new one lasted just over a month...
the replacement he bought, i think he said the transformer or it's connections seem to be bad, that pushing in on it sometimes gets it to work.