Ubuntu Installation Question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=70868

jwwws

31-10-2007 08:21:44

I want to try out Ubuntu 7.10. I downloaded the ISO, double checked the CheckSum (as described on the Ubuntu site) to verify the continuity of the image, burnt to disc, placed in my drive and rebooted...then Windows XP comes up. So I reboot, adjust my bios settings to look to my primary combo drive to boot first, save my bios settings and reboot...to Windows XP again.

What gives? I want to run it from the disc to try it out before I decide to install it.

Should I just install it anyways (dual boot) to try if I can't get it to run from the disc?

dmorris68

31-10-2007 08:33:46

How did you burn? Did you just burn the ISO file to a disc, or did you burn the disc from the ISO [ibc3e7ebd9d]image[/ibc3e7ebd9d] like you're supposed to? It sounds like you did the former, which is a common mistake to those not accustomed to ISO images.

If you did properly burn the ISO image, then does your optical drive normally boot from CD okay? Because if so, there's no other reason why it wouldn't.

jwwws

31-10-2007 09:45:56

I used MagicISO to extract the ISO image into it's own folder. Then I burnt the entire contents of that folder to a CD. No?

CollidgeGraduit

31-10-2007 10:03:41

I use Nero, which opens the ISO and burns the contents to CD in one big step. I wonder if extracting it, then burning that folder put all the files/folders on the CD in one main folder, which is why it wouldn't boot.

jwwws

31-10-2007 10:16:47

CG...You may be on to something there. Yes it extracted several files and folders but I got excited and didn't review the contents of the folder prior to burning.

I'll try using Nero also to burn the ISO image (thanks DMorris) to disc.

dmorris68

31-10-2007 10:40:00

That's your problem. By extracting the ISO, you essentially lost the image architecture, including the boot sector, and converted it to nothing more than a file dump. Can't do that if you want to retain bootability.

jwwws

31-10-2007 10:44:56

oops Thanks )

ajasax

31-10-2007 13:39:27

Yeah, in your cd burning program, choose "Burn from image" or something to that effect. Like Dmorris said, the ISO file contains the sector of the CD that the BIOS uses to boot from.

Ironically, I just installed Ubuntu Gutsy also (dual-boot with Vista). I finally figured out how to get keepassx to install. Now I just have to get the Creative X-Fi drivers to install ?

samz465

31-10-2007 14:04:05

I wish I knew a little linux, I hear Ubuntu is great.

I installed the Live CD one time, but I couldn't get on the internet because I needed drivers for my wireless card, and a whole bunch of other stuff so it was too much of a hassle.
Maybe one day I'll look into getting Ubuntu.

jwwws

31-10-2007 14:54:15

Nero worked like a charm. Thanks for all your help! Now, about those device drivers... )

CollidgeGraduit

31-10-2007 15:07:21

[quoteb80a3c6eb8="samz465"]I wish I knew a little linux, I hear Ubuntu is great.

I installed the Live CD one time, but I couldn't get on the internet because I needed drivers for my wireless card, and a whole bunch of other stuff so it was too much of a hassle.
Maybe one day I'll look into getting Ubuntu.[/quoteb80a3c6eb8]

Give Ubuntu 7.10 another try, I've heard great things about the wireless support in the latest release. All it will cost you is a blank CD D

jwwws

31-10-2007 15:12:11

I am posting this via FF using Ubuntu 7.10... way too easy and setup only took 10 minutes!

I agree with CG. Give it a try, "Out of the box" I have sound, wireless support and the correct resolution for my lappy's monitor.

samz465

31-10-2007 15:17:47

[quote782d5ae814="CollidgeGraduit"][quote782d5ae814="samz465"]I wish I knew a little linux, I hear Ubuntu is great.

Maybe one day I'll look into getting Ubuntu.[/quote782d5ae814]

Give Ubuntu 7.10 another try, I've heard great things about the wireless
support in the latest release. All it will cost you is a blank CD D[/quote782d5ae814]
I'll look into it =].

CollidgeGraduit

01-11-2007 11:31:29

[quote1821b407e2="jwwws"]I am posting this via FF using Ubuntu 7.10... way too easy and setup only took 10 minutes!

I agree with CG. Give it a try, "Out of the box" I have sound, wireless support and the correct resolution for my lappy's monitor.[/quote1821b407e2]

So how are you enjoying it so far? Shoot me a PM if you've got any questions or want my IM screenname, it's always handy to have someone to stumble through Ubuntu with P

jwwws

02-11-2007 04:35:36

^Well, everything works great. I'm doing alot of reading online about Ubuntu, device drivers, available software, etc. Speaking of...any good software I should download? (What kind isn't important, basic productivity products, simple games, whatever)

I installed it on my desktop, however I did not experience the same quick and easy setup like I did on my laptop. Just needs some device drivers to get it up and running.

How I install things is strange. Using terminal is strange (conceptually for me since I'm used to self-installing software packages in Windows)

I am having a heckuva time installing a driver for my WiFi dongle (Netgear WG111T). Online sources suggest using some command ndiswrapper.

dmorris68

02-11-2007 08:06:48

ndiswrapper is a device driver wrapper that allows you to use Windows network drivers for some devices that have no native Linux driver. It's quite clever, actually, and is the only way that some wireless devices (usually with certain Broadcom chipsets) are supported in Linux. There are plenty of how-to's on the web for getting ndiswrapper to work, so you should have little trouble.

jwwws

02-11-2007 08:34:55

Just purchased a slightly larger harddrive for my laptop (160 from 100Gb) so that I can dual boot Vista/Ubuntu. Probably should get it in 3 business days (from Newegg.com). In the meantime, I'm running the LIVE version (booted from the CD image I made).

I sucessfully got the wifi adapter installed and functioning )

dmorris68

02-11-2007 10:22:02

When I bought my Toshiba laptop earlier this year, I initially repartitioned and dual-booted Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) alongside Vista Home Premium. I had remembered how tricky it was to get Linux running well on most laptops, and expected I'd have to use Windows to get a lot of things done. However Ubuntu ran so well that after 2-3 days I wiped Vista completely and use the entire 160GB drive for Ubuntu.

I ran RedHat Linux and then Fedora Linux for 10 years, but Ubuntu Edgy worked so well for me compared to Fedora 6 that I converted all of my Linux boxes to Ubuntu. Only my router/firewall box remains Fedora Core 2, only because I haven't gotten around to rebuilding that box like I had planned.

jwwws

02-11-2007 10:31:16

Is it difficult to network Ubuntu and Windows Vista?

I have my peripherals (printer, scanner, external HD, 2 internal HD, router) attached to my desktop (Dual boot Ubuntu 7.10 and WinXP - but perhaps just Ubuntu one day) that I want to access from my lappy. Is this going to be a PITA? Primarily router and printer access are priority.

dmorris68

02-11-2007 10:39:05

Not a problem, Ubuntu includes support for Windows file & print sharing via Samba. I network between all of my Linux and Windows boxes that way. You'll have to create separate Samba accounts from your Ubuntu accounts, but most all Samba configuration GUI tools handle this. I prefer to use Webmin for administering everything though, rather than all the various GUI admin tools. I've used Webmin for years and couldn't live without it.

samz465

25-11-2007 12:45:46

I figured I'd bump this because I'm in the process of downloading Ubuntu 7.10.
I just downloaded Norton Partition Magic so I can set aside about 20-30 GB's for Ubuntu. I was wondering if that was sufficient.

Also, the problem I have with partitioning is that whenever I go to apply the changes, the computer restarts and goes to do what Partition Magic told it to do, but it's not going through with the process. I keep getting errors.
I'll post more about it later after giving some other things tries.
Does anyone know of any other programs for partitioning just in case this one doesn't work?

CollidgeGraduit

25-11-2007 13:16:33

[quotef311f7dfe8="samz465"]I figured I'd bump this because I'm in the process of downloading Ubuntu 7.10.
I just downloaded Norton Partition Magic so I can set aside about 20-30 GB's for Ubuntu. I was wondering if that was sufficient.

Also, the problem I have with partitioning is that whenever I go to apply the changes, the computer restarts and goes to do what Partition Magic told it to do, but it's not going through with the process. I keep getting errors.
Does anyone know of any other programs for partitioning just in case this one doesn't work?[/quotef311f7dfe8]

20-30gb is more than plenty

Ubuntu has a partition program on the Live CD, so you can boot to the Live CD and do your partitioning there (my recommendation)

samz465

25-11-2007 15:00:20

[quote9222525844="CollidgeGraduit"][quote9222525844="samz465"]I figured I'd bump this because I'm in the process of downloading Ubuntu 7.10.

Does anyone know of any other programs for partitioning just in case this one doesn't work?[/quote9222525844]

20-30gb is more than plenty

Ubuntu has a partition program on the Live CD, so you can boot to the Live CD and do your partitioning there (my recommendation)[/quote9222525844]
Oh awesome!
I've been so busy today that I didn't get a chance to do it yet.
I've got to take care of some more broken electronics that I need to do warranties on.
Once I take care of that, which will be in an hour or two, I'm going to finally run this install CD.
I'll be sure to contact you if I need help with anything wink .

Edit/Ps CG, can you AIM me again? (Freespree Samad).
Thank you!

Another Update
So I finally installed Ubuntu and used the partition software (which worked flawlessly). I think I had about 25 GB's set for this hard drive.
Anyway, what do I do now? I've been playing around with it for a bit, but I was wondering what cool stuff I can do. The operating system seems pretty sweet thus far though.

samz465

26-11-2007 10:07:27

Ok....so I need help installing the Flash Player on my computer, can someone help me with this?
Thanks.

guelah75

26-11-2007 11:34:38

for firefox or as a stand alone app?

guelah75

26-11-2007 11:35:28

http//fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/flash-plugin-9.0.31.0-release.i386.rpm

Now you have flash-plugin-9.0.31.0-release.i386.rpm package convert this to .deburl==http://=http:///url using the following command

sudo alien -k flash-plugin-9.0.31.0-release.i386.rpm

Outputlooks like below

Warning Skipping conversion of scripts in package flash-plugin postinst prerm
Warning Use the –scripts parameter to include the scripts.
flash-plugin_9.0.31.0-release-1_i386.deb generated

Now you need to install this .deburl==http://=http:///url package using the following command

sudo dpkg -i flash-plugin_9.0.31.0-release-1_i386.deb

Selecting previously deselected package flash-plugin.
(Reading database … 174973 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking flash-plugin (from flash-plugin_9.0.31.0-release-1_i386.deb) …
Setting up flash-plugin (9.0.31.0-release-1) …

This will complete the installation

samz465

26-11-2007 12:15:26

Thanks. It was for Firefox by the way. I'll do it in a bit.

dmorris68

26-11-2007 14:34:05

No need to go through all that. You should be able to install the plugin either through Firefox directly, or via apt-get/Synaptic. Try installing or searching for 'flashplugin-nonfree' (making sure you have all the extra repositories enabled).

samz465

26-11-2007 15:23:36

[quote0c1e535fef="dmorris68"]No need to go through all that. You should be able to install the plugin either through Firefox directly, or via apt-get/Synaptic. Try installing or searching for 'flashplugin-nonfree' (making sure you have all the extra repositories enabled).[/quote0c1e535fef]
I kept getting an error when I was running the automatic plugin.
I'll post what it is in a bit, I'm at work right now and haven't had a chance to take a look at it.

jwwws

04-12-2007 15:39:02

So I ran the Update Manager under System>Administration>Update Manager in Ubuntu 7.10 and afterwards the system hung.

Long story short, I'm back up and running but I get an error message when I try to use the Update Manager again

"An error occured
The following details are provided

Edpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E_cache->open()failed, please report"

Ummm, wtf? I don't speak Ubuntu and while I will pour over some public documentation, feel free to give me your 2 pennies if it may lead to a solution to my error message.

dmorris68

04-12-2007 17:35:13

I've not run into that problem, but try doing what it says open a terminal (Application->Accessories->Terminal) and then type [bdb992c015f]sudo dpkg --configure -a[/bdb992c015f] (enter your password when prompted). Type [bdb992c015f]exit[/bdb992c015f] or just close the terminal when done.

jwwws

04-12-2007 23:25:23

Got that taken care of...thanks dmorris! )