Anyone know how to rip and burn a dvd?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=70231

sun-flower

10-10-2007 21:34:37

Hi,

I have a few dvd's that I have bought and would like to back them up on disc but I have no idea how. I have 2 small children so they get scratched very easy, LOL. I just bought a new computer and it does have a dvd burner but I have never used one to know how they work. Would anyone give some step by step details on how to copy them? I have been reading here and there on the internet and some say you need software to rip the dvd, then one to shrink, and then you can burn it. What exactly do I need? I have a Lenovo computer with OS Windows Vista, which I have found out not a lot of software is compatible with. Any help would be great.

ohhh also one other thing. I have DVD-R recordable 16x 4.7gb 120min Is this what I use to burn the movies to? One of the movies I am trying to backup has 4 different episodes on one dvd which total 168 minutes. I'm assuming this would have to be split, right?

Thanks,
Veronica

zr2152

10-10-2007 21:39:17

DVD shrink, makes an iso image, then use deepburner to burn the iso...you can get both programs from google.

sun-flower

10-10-2007 21:47:53

[quote3a80c06c03="zr2152"]DVD shrink, makes an iso image, then use deepburner to burn the iso...you can get both programs from google.[/quote3a80c06c03]

Thanks zr2152. So those two would be all I would have to use? Someone from another forum also said if they were copyright protected you would need something like dvd decrypter. But I tried downloading it and I don't think it was compatible with vista. My computer started freezing up a whole lot so I uninstalled and it has worked fine since.

Thank you so much for you info

)

Veronica

kelbypayday

10-10-2007 21:55:53

If you need to get through the copyright protector you could also download a program called anydvd. I am not sure of its compatibility with vista but it always works for me.

I have 2 nephews and a niece and they also scratch some dvd's up. Backing them up is great.

If you have any questions just ask.

zr2152

10-10-2007 21:57:08

[quote0566b0292d="sun-flower"][quote0566b0292d="zr2152"]DVD shrink, makes an iso image, then use deepburner to burn the iso...you can get both programs from google.[/quote0566b0292d]

Thanks zr2152. So those two would be all I would have to use? Someone from another forum also said if they were copyright protected you would need something like dvd decrypter. But I tried downloading it and I don't think it was compatible with vista. My computer started freezing up a whole lot so I uninstalled and it has worked fine since.

Thank you so much for you info

)

Veronica[/quote0566b0292d]

yeah well if its copyrighted, download DVD 43, that usually does the trick for me. Its pretty automated and you dont have to run it, when you put the dvd in, it decrypts it byitself. I use to use that other program that you mentioned but it took so long to do the job that i just went to DVD 43.

Also, if for some reason dvd shrink doesnt work, i would recommend getting dvd1clickcopy (as a torrent or you can purchase the software).

I use that as my backup if shrink doesnt work.

+K appreciated )

sun-flower

10-10-2007 22:10:46

Ok thanks to the both of you. WOW the dvd 43 seems really neat. As I understand you don't really do nothing with it after installation. It does all the work in the background, right? Going to try that.

Thanks,
Veronica

zr2152

10-10-2007 22:15:10

[quote166dccd941="sun-flower"]Ok thanks to the both of you. WOW the dvd 43 seems really neat. As I understand you don't really do nothing with it after installation. It does all the work in the background, right? Going to try that.

Thanks,
Veronica[/quote166dccd941]

YUP )

dmorris68

11-10-2007 06:40:38

DVD Shrink does the decryption for you. However it's old and no longer developed, so it doesn't handle newer structure protection schemes like Arccos that is common on many newer DVD's. But if it's an older or unprotected DVD, it will work all by itself -- no need for other software.

jeagle82

11-10-2007 08:32:37

I've used AnyDVD and CloneDVD for over a year now and have been extremely impressed with them. AnyDVD has never encountered a DVD encryption that it couldn't decode, even newer DVDs with updated encryption.

Not sure if I can post external links here, so PM me if you want the website. Free 21 day trial for both, then pretty cheap to purchase them.

manOFice

11-10-2007 09:10:50

dvdrhelp.com

kelbypayday

11-10-2007 09:42:59

Also with AnyDVD it runs in background as well. Just install the software and then that is all you have to do. AnyDVD will handle all the decryption for any cd,dvd placed in the burner.

Also AnyDVD is constantly updating itself so it will always be able to handle newer DVD's along with older DVD's. It can even copy blu-ray and HD-DVD. That is of course you have a blu-ray burner.

Gl and tell me which one you go with. -)

jwwws

11-10-2007 09:53:42

I have used and am pleased as well with the AnyDVD software. I've found that DVDFab Platinum is also a great tool and just as easy to use as AnyDVD. DVDFab Platinum also offers a free trial version from their website which is fully feature rich during the trial. Both work great and both also strip the copy protection too!

liliDVD-R DL (Dual Layer)lili
It also records dual layer DVDs for those who don't want to compress their DVDs to one disc or split across several discs.

kelbypayday

11-10-2007 10:02:09

DVDFab is great too he is right.

And about DVD+R DL discs....I did a back-up of 300 onto the DL disc and now it wont play in my dvd player, XBOX 360, or any of them. It does work on my computer though....What did I do wrong?

dmorris68

11-10-2007 12:28:22

[quoteecd537b155="kelbypayday"]DVDFab is great too he is right.

And about DVD+R DL discs....I did a back-up of 300 onto the DL disc and now it wont play in my dvd player, XBOX 360, or any of them. It does work on my computer though....What did I do wrong?[/quoteecd537b155]
Many set-top DVD players have problems with +R and/or DL. My Oppo player and the player built-in to our Akai LCD handles +R DL just fine, but my son-in-law's RCA DVD player won't play the same discs. Haven't tried in my 360 because I don't use it for DVD's.

manOFice

11-10-2007 12:32:36

I always buy +r's... they work the best on both my players

sun-flower

11-10-2007 20:46:39

Hi everyone,

YAY YAY YAY, finally got my movie burned. I ended up using anydvd and clonedvd2 both from slysoft. Also found out my burner on my computer doesn't take the dvd-r so I went today and got the dvd+r and it worked great. LOL that was probably the problem the whole time. But I wanted to thank everyone for all your help.

Thanks,
Veronica

jeagle82

12-10-2007 07:00:43

Glad to see you got it worked out! )

gnznroses

12-10-2007 16:15:31

i only rip/re-encode DVDs if they're about 6 GB or smaller (or if it can be made that size by removing special features that i don't want and trailers). or if the movie just sucks. otherwise i use anydvd and nero to make a 11 copy. i use DVD-Rs and DVD_R DoubleLayers. I always buy Verbatim, cause anything else is junk. they're worth the extra money.

TFOAF

12-10-2007 18:34:51

[quote94e4506918="manOFice"]I always buy +r's... they work the best on both my players[/quote94e4506918]
Me too.

jwwws

13-10-2007 06:32:40

[quotec8c2e26ec4="dmorris68"][quotec8c2e26ec4="kelbypayday"]DVDFab is great too he is right.

And about DVD+R DL discs....I did a back-up of 300 onto the DL disc and now it wont play in my dvd player, XBOX 360, or any of them. It does work on my computer though....What did I do wrong?[/quotec8c2e26ec4]
Many set-top DVD players have problems with +R and/or DL. My Oppo player and the player built-in to our Akai LCD handles +R DL just fine, but my son-in-law's RCA DVD player won't play the same discs. Haven't tried in my 360 because I don't use it for DVD's.[/quotec8c2e26ec4]

All of my copies work great in my Memorex cheap-o DVD player in the bedroom from Wal-Mart (both single and DL copies). However all of them choke in my Sony DVD Player in the living room...go figure -/