Let me get this straight...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=69755

tml09

25-09-2007 14:50:49

So, I have a cable modem with one ethernet port (dsl). If I want to switch from using the internet on my computer to xbox live, I have to unplug the cable leading to the computer and plug the ethernet cable that leads to my xbox 360. I want to share the connection so I dont have to unplug any cables, and so someone can use the internet while I use xbox live without losing any speed. Would I need a broadband router or an ethernet switch? Will it just plug in with my modem and I'll be good to go?

Thanks!

manOFice

25-09-2007 14:53:20

[quotef04b581fa1="tml09"]So, I have a cable modem with one ethernet port (dsl). If I want to switch from using the internet on my computer to xbox live, I have to unplug the cable leading to the computer and plug the ethernet cable that leads to my xbox 360. I want to share the connection so I dont have to unplug any cables, and so someone can use the internet while I use xbox live without losing any speed. Would I need a broadband router or an ethernet switch? Will it just plug in with my modem and I'll be good to go?

Thanks![/quotef04b581fa1]

Just get a wireless router with a 4 port switch built in or something, thats what I have and I can use my pc which is plugged into the switch and my wii and my laptop at once and notice no speed decreases.

tml09

25-09-2007 14:57:06

I only have about 40 bux to spend. Any suggestions?

dmorris68

25-09-2007 16:06:22

If you're plugging a cable modem directly into a PC without a router in between, I hope you're running a software firewall. At least the built in XP firewall if nothing else, although its protection is pretty minimal.

Routers can be had for $40 if you shop around.

guelah75

25-09-2007 19:08:50

I have a 4 port router that I no longer use, I could sell it to you cheap

it's a Linksys model number BEFSR41 ver 3