Motherboard advice...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=68521

DRay9911

22-08-2007 18:01:15

dray edit looks like i may need a new motherboard...

lilililili

i noticed last week that my desktop wasn't on and didn't respond to reboots or unplugging/plugging it back in. i talked to a co-worker and he thought it might be the power supply.

i purchased this one through newegg

http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104953

it came in yesterday and just tried to hook it up....nothing happened.

i unplugged everything and then plugged it into the wall without connecting any of the cables to the computer (thinking at least the fan wouldn't turn on)...nothing happened.

could i be able to tell if i got a bum power supply or not just by plugging it into the wall?

if not (and let's say the power supply works), what would the best course of action to find out what's wrong with my desktop?

-dan

hehehhehe

22-08-2007 18:10:09

You can't just plug it in for it to work, as a switch has to turn it on or off. You can use a paper clip as a jumper between two wires to test it. Just google 'test power supply paperclip' and you'll see exactly how to do it. They say to jumper the green wire and a black wire (ground). Do this at your own risk though.

Your mobo is probably bad if two PSU's fail with it.

DRay9911

23-08-2007 07:38:03

the original power supply doesn't have an on/off switch, but the new one does.

i plugged it in and flipped the switch a couple of times, but nothing happened. i did not realize it also had to be connected to the computer before it fired up (i'm not good with the insides of computers). i checked out the paperclip trick, no way i'll be doing anything like that.

not too happy with the thought of my motherboard being jacked up. if i need to get a new one, anyone have any suggestions?

-dan

hehehhehe

23-08-2007 09:21:30

No, it has nothing to do with the on/off switch on the PSU. Without a mobo, you have to jumper the wires for it to come on, like the mobo would do when you turn the pc on. If it does have a switch, you'd just need to make sure you have it on the on position when you jumper it.

No one can suggest a mobo for you since you haven't posted any info on what you need (cpu and ram for example).

dmorris68

23-08-2007 09:34:08

[quotef24721174c="hehehhehe"]No, it has nothing to do with the on/off switch on the PSU. Without a mobo, you have to jumper the wires for it to come on, like the mobo would do when you turn the pc on. If it does have a switch, you'd just need to make sure you have it on the on position when you jumper it.

No one can suggest a mobo for you since you haven't posted any info on what you need (cpu and ram for example).[/quotef24721174c]
^^^ What he said.

ATX PSU's are controlled by the motherboard and not the other way around. As long as the switch on the back of the PSU is on (and not all have external switches) a constant supply of low voltage power is fed to the mobo, even when the system is "off." The ATX mobo wakes up on a power switch dry contact or other event (such as wake-on-LAN or BIOS schedule), powering up the PSU to boot the PC by shorting the same pins as the paperclip trick is instructing you to do.

Even the old AT PSU's -- while being self-controlled -- wouldn't spin up without being under load. You used to have a buy or wire up a special AT test module (with a load simulated by resistors) to get a PSU to power up without being plugged into a mobo.

DRay9911

23-08-2007 10:44:56

i called dell and haji told me their motherboards are proprietary and offered to sell me one for $204 (i said no thanks). then i did a bit of googling and read some older pieces that said dell power supplies are proprietary also.

effing sweet

as happy as i am that i have the laptop, my problems didn't start until i got the laptop.

-dan

dmorris68

23-08-2007 10:50:31

Ah, you didn't mention it was a Dell. I could've warned you that Dell PSU's are almost always proprietary, and have been for as long as I can remember.

PC Power & Cooling sell some Dell PSU's. They're pricey but very high quality. There are some other aftermarket brands too, that I can't recall off the top of my head.

bballp6699

24-08-2007 07:01:18

I thought we were passed the point of mentioning information to you. You're supposed to just know these things.

dmorris68

24-08-2007 07:08:40

[quotee746776671="bballp6699"]I thought we were passed the point of mentioning information to you. You're supposed to just know these things.[/quotee746776671]
Sorry, but I'm slipping in my old age. My technical clairvoyance (technovoyance?) in particular has experienced a notable decline in recent months.