Avoiding HDTV Gaming lag?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=67501

JennyWren

31-07-2007 00:48:50

So I came home today with a TV that's bigger than I could have ever imagined, a 37" LG (http//www.amazon.com/LG-37LC7D-37-LCD-HDTV/dp/B000QUL3DC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0559744-7411652?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185867921&sr=8-1) only to find that my Wii lags rather horribly on it. Mario just doesn't jump when he's supposed to (but at least I can SEE him now, as compared to my old TV). This seems to be a common problem. I love the TV and I don't want to have to pack the darn thing up and take it back, so what are my options? I can't seem to figure out how to change the resolution on the set. Help!

ILoveToys

31-07-2007 05:02:20

You aren't running your Wii through a DVR of somesort are you?

manOFice

31-07-2007 05:11:48

Get the HD cables for it at monoprice, their cheap and runns a 480p signal and yeah make sure you have a direct connection

dmorris68

31-07-2007 07:29:13

Wait, why kind of lag are we talking about. I was assuming video lag, but you're implying it's a control lag (Mario doesn't jump when he's supposed to). Perhaps it's just a perception thing on your part, but I can't imagine the common problem of video lag (ghosting/streaking due to poor video response time) causing it to appear he isn't jumping on time. Rather, it should just make him appear real blurry or streaky when he jumps. Could there be interference between the Wii remote and the sensor bar or console, introduced by the placement of the new TV?

Assuming we're talking video lag here and not control lag, some HDTV's don't process SD signals very well. If you aren't hooked up via component cables for the Wii's max 480p output, the TV's scaler/deinterlacer might be inefficiently processing the low-res video signal and introducing lag. Monoprice sells Wii component cables for $6.40, plus $2-3 shipping. IF that turns out to not fix the problem, then I'm afraid I'd have to lay the blame on the LCD panel in the TV. Many LCD TV's -- just like many LCD computer monitors -- are just not suitable for gaming, unfortunately. This is particularly true of larger format LCD panels. This is the same reason that fast motion television also causes ghosting problems on many LCD's, and is why I'm not an LCD fan for anything but the smaller sets, where artifacts and ghosting are less noticeable. There are some fast response time models that do game well, but I'm not familiar enough with that LG model to say for sure if it's a known issue with it or not.

JennyWren

31-07-2007 07:55:52

Hm, well, I don't know how I can tell if it is video lag or control lag. Basically whatever I do with the wiimote takes a moment to appear on the screen. I press the button....then he jumps. I move the wiimote from left to right, and the cursor moves from left to right kinda "dragging" behind my action. From what I've read it's an upscaling issue from the differences in resolution. The Wii is plugged direct into one of the AV inputs. I'm going pick up a set of component cables on my way home and see if that does the trick. My local store (ebgames) seems to carry a set of cables that works for the wii, ps3, and XBOX 360. Seeing as how I'm "shipping soon" on xbox360elite and 12/13 on yourps34free, it seems prudent to think ahead.

manOFice

31-07-2007 07:56:00

My large LCD plays the wii awesome with the 480p component cable from monoprice. Make sure your batteries are full charged and your sensor bar is set up correctly.

manOFice

31-07-2007 07:58:20

[quoteccc37bcd52="JennyWren"]Hm, well, I don't know how I can tell if it is video lag or control lag. Basically whatever I do with the wiimote takes a moment to appear on the screen. I press the button....then he jumps. I move the wiimote from left to right, and the cursor moves from left to right kinda "dragging" behind my action. From what I've read it's an upscaling issue from the differences in resolution. The Wii is plugged direct into one of the AV inputs. I'm going pick up a set of component cables on my way home and see if that does the trick. My local store (ebgames) seems to carry a set of cables that works for the wii, ps3, and XBOX 360. Seeing as how I'm "shipping soon" on xbox360elite and 12/13 on yourps34free, it seems prudent to think ahead.[/quoteccc37bcd52]

Get the cable from monoprice, local stores charge around 50 bucks!

Reminds me...I need a new sensor bar because my stupid car chewed up the wire...grrr

dmorris68

31-07-2007 08:01:08

[quote515ea899f3="JennyWren"]Hm, well, I don't know how I can tell if it is video lag or control lag. Basically whatever I do with the wiimote takes a moment to appear on the screen. I press the button....then he jumps. I move the wiimote from left to right, and the cursor moves from left to right kinda "dragging" behind my action. From what I've read it's an upscaling issue from the differences in resolution. The Wii is plugged direct into one of the AV inputs. I'm going pick up a set of component cables on my way home and see if that does the trick. My local store (ebgames) seems to carry a set of cables that works for the wii, ps3, and XBOX 360. Seeing as how I'm "shipping soon" on xbox360elite and 12/13 on yourps34free, it seems prudent to think ahead.[/quote515ea899f3]
FYI, you'll save several bucks by checking Wal-Mart. They sell a universal component cable that works with Wii, 360, etc. for $22 or so. The universal cables I've seen at EB (now Gamestop) run $30-$40.

Monoprice will ship same-day (if you order early, they're in CA so right now would be a good time to order) Priority Mail (2-3 day) for less than $5. So for less than $12 you could have their cable by Friday. However it's probably worth 10 or so extra bucks for the Wal-Mart cable if you need it today, but I sure wouldn't pay EB prices unless you just have money flowing out of bodily orifices. ;)

JennyWren

31-07-2007 08:09:58

I was looking at this http//www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801798

Not sure if they have it in the Canadian stores tho.

dmorris68

31-07-2007 08:13:41

[quotef1037f7576="JennyWren"]I was looking at this http//www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801798

Not sure if they have it in the Canadian stores tho.[/quotef1037f7576]
That's a great deal for an in-store cable, especially at EB. I haven't seen one that cheap in the EB/Gamestop stores around here.

You're in Canada? Then shipping from the states would negate any cost savings, I would imagine. You still might try Wal-Mart if you don't see that cable in your local EB.

manOFice

31-07-2007 08:49:02

MAd Catz suckz

tylerc

31-07-2007 08:50:14

[quote764eef34ab="manOFice"]MAd Catz suckz[/quote764eef34ab]

QFT

samz465

31-07-2007 09:20:50

[quote751c4b99a5="tylerc"][quote751c4b99a5="manOFice"]MAd Catz suckz[/quote751c4b99a5]

QFT[/quote751c4b99a5]
Lol...They totally do
They make the cheapest crap I've seen. They also FEEL cheap.
Personally I wouldn't recommend them

hehehhehe

31-07-2007 11:00:31

[quotecf6fab8fa6="JennyWren"]I was looking at this http//www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801798

Not sure if they have it in the Canadian stores tho.[/quotecf6fab8fa6]
That one won't work, it's for the xbox and ps2 if you look in the description, even though it says "Xbox 360,PS3,Wii" for the platform. I can tell by just looking at the connectors.

Don't search too much for cables that do it all and maybe just get one that does wii component. You're going to want HDMI cables for the PS3 and 360 elite anyway so you can pick those up at monoprice or some other store that does good deals for 2 or more HDMI cables.

madcatz may suck, but for nintendo cables it doesn't matter much. The original cable is a piece of crap, trust me I've openend it.

I think I've read about these kinds of lags, maybe even here.

jeagle82

31-07-2007 16:27:12

To me, it sounds like more of an issue with your WiiMote and/or Sensor Bar. Make sure the batteries in your WiiMote aren't dead, and make sure your sensor bar is completely visible.

I can't really imagine any scenario that would make your Wii lag on your HDTV because you're using regular Composite cables (red, white, yellow) as opposed to Component cables (red, green, blue).

The first thing I would do is make sure you don't have a defective WiiMote and that your Sensor Bar is set up correctly. If that still doesn't work, then I would try the component cables like everyone said or even a new composite cable (but again, I can't imagine that's the root of the problem). It could also be a defective input on your TV. Maybe try plugging in another AV device into that same composite input and see if you have any problems... If so, then I'm sure your TV is still under warranty.

Anyways, good luck getting it all figured out!

hehehhehe

31-07-2007 17:17:03

[quoted036562f68="jeagle82"]To me, it sounds like more of an issue with your WiiMote and/or Sensor Bar. Make sure the batteries in your WiiMote aren't dead, and make sure your sensor bar is completely visible. [/quoted036562f68]
The sensor bar is not going to make any difference with lag. The wiimote just uses the IR LEDs for positioning.

gnznroses

31-07-2007 18:04:54

i agree that it sounds like control lag, not lag on the tv. do you know what the refresh rate of it is? it'll be at most 16ms, which would cause blurring, but not a noticeable control lag. i'd say it's even much quicker anyways, like 8ms or so. mine is 8 i think and it blurs some, but you have to pay attention to see it.

JennyWren

02-08-2007 08:15:37

For those who might be interested I had tried different Wiimotes and positionings of the sensor bar, so I knew it wasn't that. Refresh rate of the TV is 5ms, so I figured it wasn't that. I picked up a set up Nintendo brand component cables and the lag is waaaaay less now. There's still a tiny bit, but definitely ok.

The reason (apparently) is because when you use composite cables you have to run the Wii on 480i, but with component cables you can use 480p. My TV is 780p. The upscaling from 480i to 780p takes a lot more processing time than from 480p to 780p.

Once I plugged in the component cables an option on the Wii menu became enabled (had been greyed out before) to allow me to change the settings to HDTV. Then - Mario jumped when I told him to!

BTW I had no idea how much better everything would look on the new TV. I didn't even realize that Paper Mario was so colourful cuz my old TV/RF modulator was so washed out.

Hurrah! Can't wait for my Elite & PS3 to arrive so I can have a gaming extravaganza.

manOFice

02-08-2007 08:27:06

[quotea6ead2eba9="JennyWren"]For those who might be interested I had tried different Wiimotes and positionings of the sensor bar, so I knew it wasn't that. Refresh rate of the TV is 5ms, so I figured it wasn't that. I picked up a set up Nintendo brand component cables and the lag is waaaaay less now. There's still a tiny bit, but definitely ok.

The reason (apparently) is because when you use composite cables you have to run the Wii on 480i, but with component cables you can use 480p. My TV is 780p. The upscaling from 480i to 780p takes a lot more processing time than from 480p to 780p.

Once I plugged in the component cables an option on the Wii menu became enabled (had been greyed out before) to allow me to change the settings to HDTV. Then - Mario jumped when I told him to!

BTW I had no idea how much better everything would look on the new TV. I didn't even realize that Paper Mario was so colourful cuz my old TV/RF modulator was so washed out.

Hurrah! Can't wait for my Elite & PS3 to arrive so I can have a gaming extravaganza.[/quotea6ead2eba9]

I would return that cable now and get the one from monoprice to save you some dough, unless you don't mind the price at which you bought the cable at.

I'm glad the cable fixed your issue! I noticed a huge increase in colors etc when I hooked up my 480p HD cable

When I hooked it up I didn't notice any difference so I was like wtf, turns out you have to select 480p in the wii settings, Once I did that the picture was real nice ;)

Ps. To bad the wii doesn't support digital audio (

JOSHBOX

02-08-2007 11:01:07

return the TV and get a tv with 1080p if you have those other consoles -)

JennyWren

03-08-2007 23:49:26

I can't afford a 1080p tv. =0(

Also, shipping to CA from monoprice might be annoying. I'm satisfied with the Wii ones.

manOFice

04-08-2007 06:55:26

[quotebb3ea14170="JennyWren"]I can't afford a 1080p tv. =0(

Also, shipping to CA from monoprice might be annoying. I'm satisfied with the Wii ones.[/quotebb3ea14170]

Their located in CA...

JennyWren

04-08-2007 08:58:58

CA = Canada