Setting up wireless at my house

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=66398

mookieb2

12-07-2007 00:15:58

Using a Linksys wireless G Broadband Router.

I'm tech impaired so it's probably something obvious, but
-I can get internet through our LAN cable to our mac,
-can get the airport wireless on the mac to hook up with/to our created network name
-Register an excellent connection

But cannot get onto the internet wirelessly.

I've followed the trouble shoot tips and retried everything, and it looks as if the linksys (according to the troubleshoot manuel and the led lights on the router itself) is connected to the net. It's just the router to the comp. thats not syncing up.

Any ideas?

Jason

DRay9911

12-07-2007 08:03:50

[dray edit] i just noticed you were using a mac, so i don't think this info is going to help you out.

-----

if you are using vista, you can check to see if your computer (i'm guessing a laptop) can see your wireless signal (the SSID).

you can look at the bottom/right of the taskbar and one of the icons will tell you if there are signals. the other way is to go through the control panel and look for something called "shared something something something"....i'm at work right now and don't know what it's actually called. you can also bring up a radar that will show the different wireless access points, if the laptop sees yours there should be a dot close to the center.

if the laptop can see the signal but you still can't connect, it may be an issue with your router's security settings. i had to access my router's settings through the specific website using my main computer. i had to change from my settings from WEP to WPA (and set up the security key) and as soon as i did that, everything was fine.

i am not sure if this helps you at all. if anything, maybe someone else who knows more can pick up on what i'm saying and give you some more help.

-dan

mcgrom

12-07-2007 08:17:33

[quote3c16bcaeb4="mookieb2"]Using a Linksys wireless G Broadband Router.

I'm tech impaired so it's probably something obvious, but
-I can get internet through our LAN cable to our mac,
-can get the airport wireless on the mac to hook up with/to our created network name
-Register an excellent connection

But cannot get onto the internet wirelessly.

I've followed the trouble shoot tips and retried everything, and it looks as if the linksys (according to the troubleshoot manuel and the led lights on the router itself) is connected to the net. It's just the router to the comp. thats not syncing up.

Any ideas?

Jason[/quote3c16bcaeb4]

Take a look at this article it may help
http//www.macintouch.com/wireless.html