TV and Cable help!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=65326

samz465

25-06-2007 13:32:15

Ok...So I have that I-deal panasonic plasma in my bedroom and I would normally only use it for video games and movies.
But now, I want to run a wire for cable tv from one of the other bedrooms through the atic and into my room.

However, the panasonic TV only has VGA, the Component inputs ( RGB for HD) and composite (Red, White, Yellow) input.
Anyone have an idea how to hook up a regular coaxial wire for cable to this thing?
I've hooked up our dish network reciever to it through the composite cables during the superbowl before...but what do i do if i want to just hook up the coaxial?

TV Model number Panasonic TH-42PWD8

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
-Samad

edit Also, does anyone know where i can get a really cheap BNC to component adapter online?

Jams44

25-06-2007 13:39:40

Sounds like it doesn't have a built in tuner. Looks like you are going to have to stick with an external cable tuner/box

samz465

25-06-2007 13:41:43

[quote04388ccc01="Jams44"]Sounds like it doesn't have a built in tuner. Looks like you are going to have to stick with an external cable tuner/box[/quote04388ccc01]
Very possibly...
Anyone got a link to a cheap tuner/box?

dmorris68

25-06-2007 15:21:13

It does not have a tuner, it's a monitor only. You can't connect coax directly to it, you'll have to use a cable tuner box. But I can tell you now that if you only have analog cable, feeding it to an HD/ED display is going to look like crap. High resolution displays don't like nasty analog signals. I'd recommend you stick with digital signals, either digital cable or satellite, either of which will have Svideo or component outputs.

Radio Shack sells BNC to RCA adapters, but they're a little pricey. I buy all of my A/V cables and connectors from Monoprice.com, they're awesome in both price and quality.

samz465

27-06-2007 11:18:47

Well the problem is that we have Sattelite (Dish Network), but on that...we have the basic package and some international channels, which is the real reason we have the dish.

So the cable has more channels but it's analog.
[b1b32230852]Since it's just a moniter, what do I do? [/b1b32230852]

Btw...I bought some adapters from monoprice
Thanks for the tip.

dmorris68

27-06-2007 12:33:12

The only thing you can do is buy an analog cable tuner box with video outputs, preferably Svideo outputs. Then for audio you'll have to feed a receiver or some other speaker arrangement, since the plasma doesn't have speakers either.

manOFice

27-06-2007 13:34:17

[quote198762bdb0="dmorris68"]The only thing you can do is buy an analog cable tuner box with video outputs, preferably Svideo outputs. Then for audio you'll have to feed a receiver or some other speaker arrangement, since the plasma doesn't have speakers either.[/quote198762bdb0]

Yep.

Thats why monitor's suck...no tuner cards

samz465

27-06-2007 18:16:53

Ok...Anyone know where I can get a cheap tuner, like any links or anything??

Also, I know you have this model in your bedroom as well David. Do you recomend any additional input boards that would deffinetly be good to add in the last spot?

As far as the sound, I already have this- www.smurl.name/y73r[]www.smurl.name/y73r
5.1 Sony reciever set up so I should be ok.

I have optimum from Cable vision btw. I was wondering, if I buy a digital cable box such as this http//smurl.name/u85j[]http//smurl.name/u85j
Would that provide me with a better cable signal?
And which is better if a tuner has both, component RGB output or S-video output for a clearer

dmorris68

27-06-2007 20:21:14

[quote5b53503688="O4F-Manofice"][quote5b53503688="dmorris68"]The only thing you can do is buy an analog cable tuner box with video outputs, preferably Svideo outputs. Then for audio you'll have to feed a receiver or some other speaker arrangement, since the plasma doesn't have speakers either.[/quote5b53503688]

Yep.

Thats why monitor's suck...no tuner cards[/quote5b53503688]
I disagree, I typically prefer monitors because I never use the built-in tuner nor the speakers. If I could have bought an SXRD monitor I would have, but no -- I had to pay for speakers that are disabled and a tuner (dual tuners, actually) that are disconnected.

[quote5b53503688="samz465"]Ok...Anyone know where I can get a cheap tuner, like any links or anything??

Also, I know you have this model in your bedroom as well David. Do you recomend any additional input boards that would deffinetly be good to add in the last spot?

As far as the sound, I already have this- www.smurl.name/y73r[]www.smurl.name/y73r
5.1 Sony reciever set up so I should be ok.

I have optimum from Cable vision btw. I was wondering, if I buy a digital cable box such as this http//smurl.name/u85j[]http//smurl.name/u85j
Would that provide me with a better cable signal?
And which is better if a tuner has both, component RGB output or S-video output for a clearer[/quote5b53503688]
That box from eBay is a digital box, if you only have analog cable then it probably won't work. If you have digital then you need to make sure it's compatible with your cable carrier first. And you probably won't be able to get any premium channels on it.

If you have an old VCR laying around, you can use that as a tuner. Hook up the composite video connections, and the audio outputs to your receiver. Or kill two birds with one stone buy an inexpensive DVD recorder (I've seen 'em for less than $80 at Wal-Mart). They're the DVD equivalent of a VCR, with a built-in tuner, plus you can record to DVD as a plus. They will also have at least an Svideo output and probably component, which will result in better image quality than the VCR's composite video output. However if you're feeding it a crappy analog signal, you'll get a crappy output regardless of what format you use.

I haven't priced stand-alone cable tuners in years, so I can't really say what's out there. They're almost out-of-style now. I'd say eBay would be a good source.

Or, here's something from TigerDirect that looks like it would work. Can't comment on the quality or anything though.

http//www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1951868&Sku=M501-1200

Oh, and I would advise against buying add-in module boards for the Panasonic, unless you can find them cheap somewhere. Last I looked they were both hard to find and expensive. I'd much rather have the added functionality of a DVD recorder for $80 than just get an analog RF tuner module for $175 or whatever they cost.

samz465

27-06-2007 21:45:15

[quotea227b96f7f="dmorris68"] However if you're feeding it a crappy analog signal, you'll get a crappy output regardless of what format you use.
[/quotea227b96f7f]
That's true I guess...

But anyway, I think I'm gonna get a dvd player/recorder...probably from Sony.
Anyone got any links to a cheap one?

Thanks.

Edit
Just saw this one...
Waddya think about this one David?
http//smurl.name/u9j5

samz465

29-06-2007 16:03:01

Bump?

dmorris68

29-06-2007 17:58:59

That Sony DVD-Recorder should be fine. I like most Sony stuff, but I have a Panasonic ES-20 that got rave reviews at the time plus I had a CircuitCity gift card + a mail in rebate for it, so that kinda drove my decision. )