Vista On Intel 915 (No Aero!): Not worth it?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=64019

Tholek

07-06-2007 18:09:43

Hmm, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe you can dissuade me from that? )

My laptop only has the Intel 915 chipset, so that means Aero is out unless Intel folds and releases that driver. Yet the idea of ReadyBoost/Drive improving performance has me wondering if it's still worth upgrading. I've got 2GB RAM on board, and I have an internal memory stick reader. I also have a few sticks (1GB, 2GB) that I don't even use for anything, so I could just throw one in there to dedicate for this and then forget about it.

Without Aero, I guess it comes down to whether or not I'm gonna get at least the same performance on Vista Business that I am with XP Pro.

I'm in no rush, but I feel more tempted at the moment.

Tholek

09-06-2007 17:26:39

I was hoping for [ibc128e3067]some[/ibc128e3067] input here... ;)

TFOAF

09-06-2007 18:00:55

<?php

$input = "I think it basically comes down to features. Just because it won't support Aero, doesn't mean it won't look nice. It still has a nice glossy effect to it (I think). Plus you'll have to get used to Vista eventually, because modern and future software will take full advantage of its features and capabilities. I know right now that Adobe Photoshop CS3 uses Vista's features and capabilities. I think it all comes down to what you want. If you have a system that will support it, has drivers for Vista, and you won't have much compatibility issues, then go for it.";

echo "<b>Output</b> <br /><font color=blue>" . $input . "</font>";

?>

[b2feb3f0118]Output [/b2feb3f0118]
I think it basically comes down to features. Just because it won't support Aero, doesn't mean it won't look nice. It still has a nice glossy effect to it (I think). Plus you'll have to get used to Vista eventually, because modern and future software will take full advantage of its features and capabilities. I know right now that Adobe Photoshop CS3 uses Vista's features and capabilities. I think it all comes down to what you want. If you have a system that will support it, has drivers for Vista, and you won't have much compatibility issues, then go for it.[/color2feb3f0118]

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) P P P P P shock shock shock shock shock D D D D D

ILoveToys

09-06-2007 19:44:02

What exactly is ReadyBoost/Drive?

Allen626

09-06-2007 20:17:34

It uses your usb flash drives as RAM. Its not that great. Vista is really not that great.

Tholek

09-06-2007 20:33:04

Previously, I said I'd wait until a service pack comes out. That's probably still best, but I wonder if I'd get at least the same performance as I am now with the upgrade, or if I'd regret it. There's some varying opinions on how much ReadyBoost/Drive would help. I [i309dcfa5c6]would[/i309dcfa5c6] like to familiarize myself with Vista, but I wanted some more opinions before even putting that disc in the drive. )

ILoveToys

09-06-2007 21:53:37

Yeah, since I got mine in the mail the other day I've been tempted, but still just letting it sit. I really still like my XP as far as windows goes.

Tholek

09-06-2007 22:33:00

You just got yours. Mine has been in my face for months. ;)

TFOAF

10-06-2007 04:33:42

[quotedc180bf9d4="Tholek"]You just got yours. Mine has been in my face for months. ;)[/quotedc180bf9d4]
Do you pace back and forth and say to yourself, "To install, or not to install?"

P

Tholek

10-06-2007 07:58:09

Yes, I cocked my head to one side and touched my chin.

jy3

10-06-2007 09:07:03

http//www.hunter.cuny.edu/philosophy/Images/thinking_man_noise.jpg[" alt=""/img1a270e0167]

like that?

i would say if u already bought it and are waiting for sp1 to avoid any problems with the original release then u can wait. the only big question would be if u are thinking about buying it on a good deal and would lose out on a deal if u dont buy it now.

i would say do one of two things
install it and see what happens
wait until sp1 so u dont have to deal with problems

of course u knew about these options )

NickAtFMS

10-06-2007 10:29:42

Unless you have an app that only runs on XP, I'd say upgrade. I've been running Vista since it came out and it made me mad that some apps don't work but I figured I'd be spending a lot of time running Linux. That turned out to not be the case. Vista has been very reliable (running for several days/weeks) without needing to be restarted (under pretty heavy use). There are a lot of transparent features that you don't notice that make the experience better without being obnoxious.

Tholek

10-06-2007 19:17:33

jy3, I got it free as an upgrade.

[quotef2f517e3a4="NickAtFMS"]Unless you have an app that only runs on XP, I'd say upgrade. I've been running Vista since it came out and it made me mad that some apps don't work but I figured I'd be spending a lot of time running Linux. That turned out to not be the case. Vista has been very reliable (running for several days/weeks) without needing to be restarted (under pretty heavy use). There are a lot of transparent features that you don't notice that make the experience better without being obnoxious.[/quotef2f517e3a4]

What are your system specs? Mine just make the cut, so I don't know if we'd be in the same boat, as it were.

ZachBeale

14-06-2007 14:18:25

From what I've seen my friends do, it's not worth it at all, there are a bunch of bugs (from what I've seen) with pre-vista software, and a lot of high-end software (3D apps, Video apps, photoshops, etc) complain almost to the point where it isn't even worth using them.