How to get past administrator restrictions

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61995

hilaryfanatic09

12-05-2007 08:02:52

I have a friend who's step father built her a computer. She's 18, but he made himself the administrator and her only a user, and she can't download ANYTHING. Its really irritating, she can't even download a spyware protector, and she asked him to months ago and he still hasn't.

She knows about rebooting in safe mode, she used to do that, but accidentally let him find out and apparently he blocked that too. Anyone know how she can get through the administrator stuff without knowing the password?

TryinToGetPaid

12-05-2007 09:06:26

If its for XP, there is a way to get into any created account with a general password - it slips my mind at the moment.

jonohull

12-05-2007 21:10:45

You can get Ophcrack to find the admin password, then change the user account to an admin account.

ajasax

12-05-2007 23:13:04

Damn, what kind of dad would lock his daughter out of her own computer? She's even 18 ? Anyways, I have heard of a utility that you use on reboot (might be what jonohull suggested) that will let you reset the admin password, but I've never tried looking for/using it.

jonohull

13-05-2007 11:52:20

[quoteb3bcb701aa="ajasax"]Damn, what kind of dad would lock his daughter out of her own computer? She's even 18 ? Anyways, I have heard of a utility that you use on reboot (might be what jonohull suggested) that will let you reset the admin password, but I've never tried looking for/using it.[/quoteb3bcb701aa]

The thing I suggested won't reset the admin pass, it will just find it. There are apps which will reset the admin password, but then when the person tries to login, they won't be able to, which will tell them you did something! Ophcrack is a Linux distro that uses rainbow tables to find the password. You download it, burn it to a CD, and restart with it in the drive. After you're done, just take it out, and no one knows you did anything.

moviemadnessman

13-05-2007 16:16:03

And here is the link to that

http//ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

dmorris68

13-05-2007 16:58:31

Ophcrack works on fairly weak passwords only, however. I've had it fail to crack an adequately secure password before.

Tholek

13-05-2007 17:45:24

Next time tell me before I burn the disc, will ya? ;)

dmorris68

13-05-2007 18:07:27

[quotec4990b3447="Tholek"]Next time tell me before I burn the disc, will ya? ;)[/quotec4990b3447]
Hey, it's still handy to keep in the toolkit. The vast majority of people lidon'tli use strong passwords, so it'll still work in most cases. I usually start with it, and if it doesn't work, I use another boot CD to reset the admin password. Of course I'm doing it for people who WANT me to get into their machine -- resetting the admin pw when you aren't supposed to will certainly tip off the owner that you've done something (as was already mentioned).

The fact this person's dad seems to be on top of keeping her locked down on the PC just led me to believe he might also have a clue about security or strong passwords.

hilaryfanatic09

15-05-2007 09:50:32

I dont know, she said its still a problem since she cant download anything. I suggested that I download it and transfer it to her computer but she said she doesnt think it will let her do that either. Oh well, we can give it a try.

Thanks guys.

dmorris68

15-05-2007 17:20:20

[quote9f2844ecf9="hilaryfanatic09"]I dont know, she said its still a problem since she cant download anything. I suggested that I download it and transfer it to her computer but she said she doesnt think it will let her do that either. Oh well, we can give it a try.

Thanks guys.[/quote9f2844ecf9]
If you're talking about Ophcrack, there isn't anything to transfer. You burn a CD from the ISO image you download, and boot her PC from it.

And I should add that, as a father having raised 3 teens (currently on my last one) I can't believe I'm even suggesting how to get around a father's restrictions. I'm glad for once to see a parent taking charge and doing what they're supposed to do. P

moviemadnessman

15-05-2007 17:25:31

The ISO would need transfered ... since she can't download it in the first place. And if you can't get it transfered ... you might need to download/burn it for them, and just get it to them that way.

Any chance of having your friend just ask her dad to remove his restrictions, hilary??

dmorris68

15-05-2007 17:41:24

[quotee5e23dc543="moviemadnessman"]The ISO would need transfered ... since she can't download it in the first place. And if you can't get it transfered ... you might need to download/burn it for them, and just get it to them that way.[/quotee5e23dc543]
She was talking about downloading it for her, and then wondering about transfering it. If she's downloading it for her, then she can burn it for her, hence no need to transfer.

Damnit, again I'm helping out here when I shouldn't. Bah!

moviemadnessman

15-05-2007 17:45:04

Oh. Sorry ... I missed a few key words in your first statement )

But you shouldn't feel bad for helping ... it isn't your kids doing it ;)

jonohull

15-05-2007 18:59:10

If kids want to get around any blocking thing, it's going to happen. I did it, and it wasn't very hard. It was also very simple to bypass the filter at my school.

dudeextrem2000

18-05-2007 16:38:39

http//pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305