Forum access

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61289

lookinghard

03-05-2007 11:54:14

I need some help from anybody, don't know if this is the right place to put this but since it involves my home computer. I can't access the forum from my home computer. come to website but I get the main page but where the login should be i get "wood is an (bleep)". i can pull up the blogs and I believe everything else but just can't access the forum. Please help because I would like to try some trading, being very new. Thanks in Advance.

manOFice

03-05-2007 12:47:46

hahahaha "wood is an (bleep)"

classic...

ILoveToys

03-05-2007 13:08:45

That's a reference to a the previously banned user right?

manOFice

03-05-2007 13:15:44

Yes

TFOAF

03-05-2007 15:31:00

I'm thinking because the IP address of your home computer is banned?

lookinghard

04-05-2007 10:50:58

Why would the ip be banned, laptop not even 6 months old, peoplepc is the provider, etc.

dmorris68

04-05-2007 13:49:55

[quotedc6b22e095="lookinghard"]Why would the ip be banned, laptop not even 6 months old, peoplepc is the provider, etc.[/quotedc6b22e095]
Because the IP belonged to a banned member previously. IP's are not created anew for each new ISP account or connection. Dynamic IP's are pooled and shared among all users, and they rotate frequently.

lookinghard

07-05-2007 10:05:51

ok then what do i do to get it unbanned, and also if the ip address can be assigned to different users, that doesn't sound like a very good way to ban someone. You would eventually end up banning people who don't deserve to be banned. again thanks for everybodies help.

lookinghard

07-05-2007 10:07:25

also if IPs rotate how come I keep getting the sameone at home?

dmorris68

07-05-2007 11:29:03

[quotebb9e49b4c2="lookinghard"]ok then what do i do to get it unbanned, and also if the ip address can be assigned to different users, that doesn't sound like a very good way to ban someone. You would eventually end up banning people who don't deserve to be banned. again thanks for everybodies help.[/quotebb9e49b4c2]
I'll look into it. I'll need your home IP address to look into it, you can PM it to me.

IP bans are a last resort and are for those users who insist on creating new accounts to get around a ban. There's just no other way. In fact sometimes we have to ban an entire IP lirangeli. Yes, it runs the risk of banning legit members, but there's nothing we can do about it, and in fact it's a pretty rare occurrence. When it does happen, we do our best to look into and rectify the situation, as we'll do in your case. However IP bans serve a purpose and will continue to be utilized where appropriate.

[quotebb9e49b4c2="lookinghard"]also if IPs rotate how come I keep getting the sameone at home?[/quotebb9e49b4c2]
IP lease times vary by ISP. Some might change daily or so, others every few weeks, still others every few months. Powering off your modem for more than a few minutes or hours might also release your IP and cause a new lease when you reconnect.

TFOAF

07-05-2007 12:57:10

[quote470a657617="dmorris68"][quote470a657617="lookinghard"]ok then what do i do to get it unbanned, and also if the ip address can be assigned to different users, that doesn't sound like a very good way to ban someone. You would eventually end up banning people who don't deserve to be banned. again thanks for everybodies help.[/quote470a657617]
I'll look into it. I'll need your home IP address to look into it, you can PM it to me.

IP bans are a last resort and are for those users who insist on creating new accounts to get around a ban. There's just no other way. In fact sometimes we have to ban an entire IP lirangeli. Yes, it runs the risk of banning legit members, but there's nothing we can do about it, and in fact it's a pretty rare occurrence. When it does happen, we do our best to look into and rectify the situation, as we'll do in your case. However IP bans serve a purpose and will continue to be utilized where appropriate.

[quote470a657617="lookinghard"]also if IPs rotate how come I keep getting the sameone at home?[/quote470a657617]
IP lease times vary by ISP. Some might change daily or so, others every few weeks, still others every few months. Powering off your modem for more than a few minutes or hours might also release your IP and cause a new lease when you reconnect.[/quote470a657617]
I don't think my IP address has changed since over a year ago, and the router is set to "Dynamic" IP address. Isn't that strange? I'm using Optimum Online.

lookinghard

07-05-2007 13:20:48

appreciate your help and will pm you my ip address at home as soon as possible. again thanks

dmorris68

07-05-2007 16:30:17

[quote8062fc5db8="TFOAF"]I don't think my IP address has changed since over a year ago, and the router is set to "Dynamic" IP address. Isn't that strange? I'm using Optimum Online.[/quote8062fc5db8]
It happens, but it's pretty rare. Do you live in a small service area? I live in a fairly small service area myself, and the longest I've seen an IP lease around here is 3-4 months. My DSL IP usually changes every 1-2 months. It used to change every 2 weeks.

As soon as I can get my fiber service hooked up (they're trenching it into my neighborhood as we speak, and they started at my house, yay) then I'll finally have a static IP.

TFOAF

07-05-2007 16:41:20

[quoteeb46c1eaa3="dmorris68"][quoteeb46c1eaa3="TFOAF"]I don't think my IP address has changed since over a year ago, and the router is set to "Dynamic" IP address. Isn't that strange? I'm using Optimum Online.[/quoteeb46c1eaa3]
It happens, but it's pretty rare. Do you live in a small service area? I live in a fairly small service area myself, and the longest I've seen an IP lease around here is 3-4 months. My DSL IP usually changes every 1-2 months. It used to change every 2 weeks.

As soon as I can get my fiber service hooked up (they're trenching it into my neighborhood as we speak, and they started at my house, yay) then I'll finally have a static IP.[/quoteeb46c1eaa3]
I think a lot of people where I live uses Optimum Online, so I don't think it's a small service area. P

ILoveToys

07-05-2007 20:06:20

My ip barely ever changes on either of my cable modems...In fact the only time I've seen them change is when they've been powered off for a long period of time.

lookinghard

11-05-2007 08:17:46

hey dmorris
my ip address from my home is 234.158.194.158
thanks