Sometimes my iPod won't power down

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=58888

hilaryfanatic09

05-04-2007 18:12:31

Like, when you hold down the play button to get it to go to sleep and save battery life. It just wont sleep. And I've tried resetting it or whatever (hold the menu button and the middle button at the same time) and it still wont work.

I just kind of assumed iPods randomly would do this, but now I'm kind of curious if anyone else has this problem.

Tholek

05-04-2007 18:16:30

This didn't happen after cleaning it with alcohol, did it?

I once got some in the touchwheel, and the same thing happened. Thankfully, it dried out.

hilaryfanatic09

05-04-2007 18:28:01

Nope. And it works most of the time, but it will go through spouts where it will refuse to sleep and I get really pissed off.

Another thing, right below the click wheel, between the click wheel and the usb jack, if i push on that with a little amount of pressure, it kind of clicks like something isnt right on it. \

kidd2108

05-04-2007 19:55:35

yep. that happened to me once till I recharged it.

What I did was pause it, put it on Hold for a few seconds, take it off hold and then I was able to shut it off with the play button with no problem.

moviemadnessman

05-04-2007 20:19:33

This problem sometimes happens if you don't undock the iPod using the Device Manager or iTunes. If you simply unplug the iPod (not recommended, but doesn't usually cause problems), it confuses the iPod in a way that makes it impossible to turn the iPod off.

Simply taking the few extra seconds to undock the iPod first should fix this, but if you don't want to do that, you can always just pause the iPod and put it on Hold, then it will automatically shut off after a minute or so.

dudeextrem2000

06-04-2007 08:54:59

this happens to me @ times, if you hold it down...then wait till it clicks....then hold it down again....do this repeatedly until it shuts off

hilaryfanatic09

06-04-2007 09:18:59

I always Disconnect it from the computer before I unplug it, but I have a clock radio docking thing, and I always take it on and off of there, and I just noticed in the manual that you should power it down before you remove it, so that may be why. And I'll try the pause/hold method, too. Thanks guys.

Diggety

07-04-2007 05:44:50

This is a prety common problem with 5G ipods (which is what I assume you have). What I did was perform a manual software reset

To reset your 5th generation iPod with video

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

ilanbg

07-04-2007 06:38:03

I've had this happen before, and I've tried all those suggestions and it doesn't work.

It also doesn't power down when I select "sleep" from the front menu. Whenever this happens I just let the battery die and then recharge it. ?