Modchip Help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=58431

stueybaby17

01-04-2007 13:42:29

I know there are a lot of different Wii Modchip threads but I wanted to start one with a little different topic. I guess?

I'm pretty much asking for help with what chip to choose.

Here is what I would like to do
Play Backups of Wii games
Play Backups of GameCube games
Play Games Downloaded by other people on my Wii (if possible)
Download Games for free (if possible)

That is about all I would like to do. What chips can do that? And which is the easiest/cheapest/best for me. I have soddered before, but I'm not too good.

Also, I've never used a modchip before or made a backup disc of a game. How does that work? Do I have to rip and encode and whatnot? Or can I just put it in the drive and copy it.

Any help and information on this is appreciated.

manOFice

01-04-2007 13:49:25

Get the wiikey...there are clones for 11 bucks or the retail version.

You can download wii games if you have the sources, and the wiikey will do everything you mentioned.

ps...you need a special screw driver to open the wii also

stueybaby17

01-04-2007 13:57:38

[quotef8ae0c57d3="O4F-Manofice"]Get the wiikey...there are clones for 11 bucks or the retail version.

You can download wii games if you have the sources, and the wiikey will do everything you mentioned.

ps...you need a special screw driver to open the wii also[/quotef8ae0c57d3]

Where can I get the clones for $11? Are they as easy to install? I've read that the cyclowiz is extremly easy to install is the wiikey similar?

What do you mean sources? What do I have to do?

I've read that the some possible the newer wii's dont' need the special screwdriver. But if I do need the tri-wing screwdriver where do you recommend getting one.

manOFice

01-04-2007 14:16:13

http//www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1999~r.60047952

I guess it's pretty easy to install.

And you can download games if you know where to download games basically.

stueybaby17

01-04-2007 14:16:52

Right now I'm looking at the cyclowiz because there seems to be better installation instructions on it. At least that I can find. And I know with that one all I need to do is sodder it in right. I'm not sure If I have to do any flashing or programming for the wiikey.

Any more information on this would be great.

stueybaby17

01-04-2007 14:20:46

[quoted6a78818cc="O4F-Manofice"]http//www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1999~r.60047952

I guess it's pretty easy to install.

And you can download games if you know where to download games basically.[/quoted6a78818cc]

Thanks +karma for the link

So will I be able to download the old games like for NES and play them if I can find them? Would I download them to my computer and then put them on a SD card?? I'm a little confused about that. I think I may have asked the question wrong before.

Do you know if that chip needs to be flashed or anything? or can I just put it in and turn on the system?

That is something that I wasn't able to find out, but I know I can do just that with the cyclowiz.

stueybaby17

01-04-2007 19:02:47

Ok well I decided that before I go screwing up my Wii I'll do the harder mod chip in my slim ps2. So instead of doing the fill in sodder points I'll actually have to deal with 18 wires. I'm not as worried about messing up the ps2 being that I dont' use that as much and it's cheaper than the Wii and in stock everywhere.

edit more info on Wii mod chips is still appreciated D

hawke12

02-04-2007 05:25:43

[quoteb197950998="stueybaby17"]Ok well I decided that before I go screwing up my Wii I'll do the harder mod chip in my slim ps2. So instead of doing the fill in sodder points I'll actually have to deal with 18 wires. I'm not as worried about messing up the ps2 being that I dont' use that as much and it's cheaper than the Wii and in stock everywhere.

edit more info on Wii mod chips is still appreciated D[/quoteb197950998]

http//www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=15295

review of the cyclowiz v 3.0 ) enjoy.

TriforceXHacks

02-04-2007 07:21:19

WiiKey clones are garbage and have no upgradability support. Your best bet would be Chiip. It is a 5 wire installation instead of solder pads. I don't suggest using solder pads because it makes uninstallation a problem (new modchip enabling homebrew comes out?). It is a lot more viable solution.

http//chiip.dl.am

It will cost you less than $11. Its a REAL easy install and build.. and it works amazing =)

I suggest using OpenWii 2.0 firmware for region-freeness =)

http//www.openwii.org

I can help you with any problems or questions =)

I will also purchase, assemble, program, install for a total fee of $25. =)

stueybaby17

02-04-2007 15:13:04

Thanks for the help. I'm interrested in doing that just for the fun of it and to learn and whatnot.

I think I can build the chip no problem. There really isn't too much to do. And I'm pretty sure I can install it fine. That all seems easy enough.

I'm a little confused on the programmer. It seems a little hard. I need to take a closer look at it to see if I can figure it out.

stueybaby17

02-04-2007 15:28:40

Ok I think for the most part I understand how to build the programmer. The only thing I'm confused on right now is

from the 7 on the IC socket.
there are 5 resistors and an electrolytic capacitor

Now I understand that the - side of the capacitor goes onto the wire comming from 8 on the IC socket.

Now my big question is can all the resitors and the capacitor along with the wire from 7 be soddered togetther? Or do they have to all be soddered to the 7 wire separatly?

I'm thinking that they should all be able to be soddered together but I'm really not that smart with this and I dont' want to mess it up.

edit were can I get all these parts online?? There is that german place but I can't read what it says and I'd rather do it on a site that has english on it. I found lots of sites that offer certain parts, but none that have all the parts that I need.

TriforceXHacks

02-04-2007 17:03:04

[quote52bfc836d0="stueybaby17"]Ok I think for the most part I understand how to build the programmer. The only thing I'm confused on right now is

from the 7 on the IC socket.
there are 5 resistors and an electrolytic capacitor

Now I understand that the - side of the capacitor goes onto the wire comming from 8 on the IC socket.

Now my big question is can all the resitors and the capacitor along with the wire from 7 be soddered togetther? Or do they have to all be soddered to the 7 wire separatly?

I'm thinking that they should all be able to be soddered together but I'm really not that smart with this and I dont' want to mess it up.

edit were can I get all these parts online?? There is that german place but I can't read what it says and I'd rather do it on a site that has english on it. I found lots of sites that offer certain parts, but none that have all the parts that I need.[/quote52bfc836d0]

Yes, they can all be soldered together =). I will take some pictures of my programmer when I get home (I'm on vacation in Florida). I already sent you a PM for an American parts supplier. Although for the rest of the people reading this thread
http//chiip.descrambler.de/index.php/Tools_Supplies

^ Quite hidden on the wiki.

I HIGHLY suggest using Digi-Key.

=) =) =) =) =)