Satellite Radio Questions

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=57937

bruman

27-03-2007 05:08:49

Basically, I'm going on a trip this Saturday to Florida.. it's going to be a long drive, and I'm interested in finally getting either XM or Sirius satellite radio installed in my car.

I have a receiver for both XM and Sirius.

For Sirius, I have the "SIRIUS InV"

http/" alt=""/img411.imageshack.us/img="411/3380/blobservergv9.gif[" alt=""/img1b2c808a1c]

For XM, I have the roadyXT

[img="1b2c808a1c]http/" alt=""/img20.imageshack.us/img="20/5918/xmxu8.jpg[" alt=""/img1b2c808a1c]

I can get either one, I haven't decided yet. I have a few questions, though

1. Does the receiver (see above) really matter? Aside from ease of use and looks? Is it the same quality and what not as others?

2. I was looking into sirius a bit and to get the best connection I would need to purchase some kind of wire for my aux input on my cd player. Is this the best way?

3. Once the radio is installed properly in the vehicle, can I just call, purchase a subscription, activate it and play it instantly (any waiting time?)

4. Which do you prefer, XM or Sirius. Looking at the channel line-up Sirius looks more appealing to me. I'm not interested in sports so that doesn't matter.. just all types of music, talk radio, news, etc. For Sirius, are there any channels that cost extra or is it all in one? For example, howard stern and the playboy channel cost extra on cable, do they also cost extra on sirius? Or is it just a get-everything sort of thing?

5. When buying monthly, is there a commitment? Can I buy it for a month for $15 or whatever and if I decide I don't want it cancel with no penalty?

Any other info would be appreciated. I would be installing it via the DIY method with the help of my dad.

Thanks in advance.

Tholek

27-03-2007 05:27:03

Just waiting for h3x...

I say XM. It has the programming I like (check my sig).

[quotef5b4518994="bruman"]For XM, I have the roadyXT

http/" alt=""/img20.imageshack.us/img="20/5918/xmxu8.jpg[" alt=""/imgf5b4518994][/quotef5b4518994]

I'm not crazy about that model. I'd go for a portable that you can use in the car, but of course they cost more.

[quotef5b4518994="bruman"]1. Does the receiver (see above) really matter? Aside from ease of use and looks? Is it the same quality and what not as others?[/quotef5b4518994]

Some XM models can record programming, and also play MP3s.

[quotef5b4518994="bruman"]3. Once the radio is installed properly in the vehicle, can I just call, purchase a subscription, activate it and play it instantly (any waiting time?)[/quotef5b4518994]

With XM you can call to activate, or do it online as well. Fairly quick.

[quotef5b4518994="bruman"]4. Which do you prefer, XM or Sirius. Looking at the channel line-up Sirius looks more appealing to me. I'm not interested in sports so that doesn't matter.. just all types of music, talk radio, news, etc. For Sirius, are there any channels that cost extra or is it all in one? For example, howard stern and the playboy channel cost extra on cable, do they also cost extra on sirius? Or is it just a get-everything sort of thing?[/quotef5b4518994]

XM, for me anyhow. Last I heard all Sirius content is included in a subscription, just as XM is. That may change in future though due to the merger. We'll see.

[quotef5b4518994="bruman"]5. When buying monthly, is there a commitment? Can I buy it for a month for $15 or whatever and if I decide I don't want it cancel with no penalty?[/quotef5b4518994]

You can buy "blocks" at a discount, like paying for a year, or several, or go month to month. The only addition to the sub cost would be an activation fee, which is waived under certain circumstances.

[quotef5b4518994="bruman"]Any other info would be appreciated. I would be installing it via the DIY method with the help of my dad.

Thanks in advance.[/quotef5b4518994]

My MyFi instructions were pretty good, although I didn't do a car install myself.

Good luck.

JOSHBOX

27-03-2007 12:35:06

the XM radio is gonna be a little bit nicer but that wont really matter while your listening to the programming, which sirius would win hands down. I have been a subscriber for almost a year and they have a fantastic alt rock and hard rock channels as well as howard stern of course.

dmorris68

27-03-2007 17:21:17

I'd hesitate to make a blanket recommendation of one over the other. Honestly I think it boils down to (a) which hardware you like better, and (b) which "specialty" programming you prefer (Stern, O&A, Oprah, MLB, etc.).

As far as genre channels goes, they're both pretty much identical. Both have 80's, 90', country, Top 40, comedy, jazz, etc. and usually multiple channels of each.

Myself, I'm an XM subscriber and quite happy with it. I still prefer XM equipment although Sirius stuff has gotten better. If I bought a vehicle with factory satellite radio, then that's probably what I'd subscribe to since I don't care for any of the specialty programming -- although I dislike Stern on general principal so XM automatically gets an edge as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I have the SkiFi2 radio, BTW. It has a 30-minute replay buffer which is nice, although not as useful as a Tivo (you can't go forward/back by arbitrary amounts, only by next/previous song or track).

http//www.ccrane.com/images/medium/delphi-xm-skyfi2-satellite-radio.jpg[" alt=""/imgeae53ba56e]

Tholek

27-03-2007 17:47:13

I agree that XM hardware is, and has traditionally been, better, although Sirius has come closer to closing that gap. I'll also concede that Sirius has some good dance and club music channels that seemed a bit more specialized than XM. (Last I checked, anyhow)

Still, my key reason aside, they more or less balance out insofar as music programming goes.

h3x

27-03-2007 18:35:25

[quote7894ad5c72="bruman"]1. Does the receiver (see above) really matter? Aside from ease of use and looks? Is it the same quality and what not as others?

2. I was looking into sirius a bit and to get the best connection I would need to purchase some kind of wire for my aux input on my cd player. Is this the best way?

3. Once the radio is installed properly in the vehicle, can I just call, purchase a subscription, activate it and play it instantly (any waiting time?)

4. Which do you prefer, XM or Sirius. Looking at the channel line-up Sirius looks more appealing to me. I'm not interested in sports so that doesn't matter.. just all types of music, talk radio, news, etc. For Sirius, are there any channels that cost extra or is it all in one? For example, howard stern and the playboy channel cost extra on cable, do they also cost extra on sirius? Or is it just a get-everything sort of thing?

5. When buying monthly, is there a commitment? Can I buy it for a month for $15 or whatever and if I decide I don't want it cancel with no penalty?

Any other info would be appreciated. I would be installing it via the DIY method with the help of my dad.

Thanks in advance.[/quote7894ad5c72]

1. Receiver doesn't make any difference in terms of SQ and reception, all of that is entirely dependent on the satellite antenna... Though if you want ultimate portability, I would go with the Stiletto

http//www.uncrate.com/men/images/2006/09/sirius-stiletto.jpg[" alt=""/img7894ad5c72]

You can listen to SIRIUS wherever you go and it doubles as an MP3 player and a few other interesting features... More info is available at SIRIUS.com

2. There are multiple methods of receiving SIRIUS in your car... You can use an AUX input for your car (best method), or you can use a Wired FM modulator (requires you to pull out your factory radio and hook up an adapter), or you can use a Cassette Tape adapter (not the best method, but I'd say it comes in 2nd)... Lastly, you can use the FM modulator that is already built-in to the radio... Just pick a station with the least amount of noise and tune in from your SIRIUS radio

3. To activate, you can call or activate your radio at SIRIUS.com.. Activation takes about 5 minutes tops... Before you phone in or log on to activate, be sure to tune your receiver to SIRIUS 184.. It should tell you to call to subscribe on the screen and you should be able to hear the Emergency Weather broadcast. When you call, have your ESN/SID # ready... It's on the box of the radio you bought and also it's available on channel 000.

4. I would go with SIRIUS... Less commercials on "Non-Music channels than XM (i.e. Talk, News, Comedy)"... All channels are available for one flat fee of $12.95 per month (discounted annual rates are also available). I tried XM for a month and I just couldn't stand it... I think you'll really enjoy the SIRIUS experience if you give it a shot... Regardless, if you want a sample of both, you can sign up for a free 3-day trial of their Internet Radio at both SIRIUS.com and xmradio.com... Keep in mind that you only get a fraction of the channels offered on both services and on the free trial, the bitrate is somewhere in the 64-96kbps range (so you're not getting the entire experience, but merely a taste of what's offered).

5. You can choose to pay monthly and cancel anytime

If you're a SIRIUS subscriber, you're also subscribed to the SIRIUS Internet Radio service at 128kbps... So if you had the Stiletto and you were in say... China. You could listen to SIRIUS at any hotspot.

If you do choose SIRIUS and you have some more questions or would like to find out more... Feel free to shoot me an e-mail or PM.

Also, if you're curious as to what radio I have... It's the Starmate 4

[img="7894ad5c72]http//www.mobilewhack.com/sirius-starmate4.jpg[" alt=""/img7894ad5c72]

You can get one for $99.99 after $20 MIR

Though I do see myself buying the 2nd Gen Stiletto when it comes out.

Here's a few flash presentations for you that may help you out

[b7894ad5c72]SIRIUS Beginner's Guide[/b7894ad5c72]
http//www.tss-radio.com/beginners_guide.html

[b7894ad5c72]Sound Quality in your Car[/b7894ad5c72]
http//www.tss-radio.com/static.html

[b7894ad5c72]Sound Quality in your Home[/b7894ad5c72]
http//www.tss-radio.com/home_reception.html

Tholek

27-03-2007 19:39:30

[quote3db8f9568d="h3x"]1. Receiver doesn't make any difference in terms of SQ and reception, all of that is entirely dependent on the satellite antenna... Though if you want ultimate portability, I would go with the Stiletto

http//www.uncrate.com/men/images/2006/09/sirius-stiletto.jpg[" alt=""/img3db8f9568d]

You can listen to SIRIUS wherever you go and it doubles as an MP3 player and a few other interesting features... More info is available at SIRIUS.com[/quote3db8f9568d]

It's nice, but you can't listen everywhere as a [i3db8f9568d]portable[/i3db8f9568d] unless there's an unencrypted wi-fi hotspot (in order to listen to the internet feed) everywhere you go. Most are encrypted. I know it's a sore point, but it's true. I live in a major city, and the Stiletto would be like carrying a standard MP3 player until I got it home. (

The XM counterpart to that would be the Nexus, which is a rung lower than the Inno and Helix which truly receive the satellite broadcast virtually everywhere you go.

[img="3db8f9568d]http/" alt=""/img148.imageshack.us/img="148/5639/pioneerinnogg8.jpg[" alt=""/img3db8f9568d]
The Inno

[quote3db8f9568d="h3x"]Keep in mind that you only get a fraction of the channels offered on both services and on the free trial, the bitrate is somewhere in the 64-96kbps range (so you're not getting the entire experience, but merely a taste of what's offered).[/quote3db8f9568d]

True, XMRO (The online service) doesn't have the full lineup, just about 80 channels, but the most popular ones are there, including those like O&A which were once considered premium. It also has some channels not even available on the actual satellite feed. Perhaps Sirius online has premium channels like Stern too, I didn't check for this post, but I always have access online to at least everything I wanted on my portable.

[quote3db8f9568d="h3x"]If you're a SIRIUS subscriber, you're also subscribed to the SIRIUS Internet Radio service at 128kbps... So if you had the Stiletto and you were in say... China. You could listen to SIRIUS at any hotspot.[/quote3db8f9568d]

Except for that encryption again. ( That's a good bitrate though.

[quote3db8f9568d="h3x"]Though I do see myself buying the 2nd Gen Stiletto when it comes out.[/quote3db8f9568d]

I haven't read up on that one. Will it be like the Inno, or still be wi-fi based? A handheld that could receive both satellite broadcasts and wi-fi would be great. Maybe after the merger...

h3x

27-03-2007 20:13:28

You can listen to it on an WEP or WPA encrypted network... You just need the login credentials (which should come as no surprise).

Also, it receives the signal from local TERR repeaters in addition to the SIRIUS satellites and available 802.11 feed.

One more plus about the Stiletto... You can record up to 100 hours of programming, so if you're not a morning person, you can schedule to record Stern and listen to it anytime.

[quote20c5828b09="Tholek"]A handheld that could receive both satellite broadcasts and wi-fi would be great. Maybe after the merger...[/quote20c5828b09]

It already exists... It's called the Stiletto ;)

Tholek

27-03-2007 20:46:50

[quotedfe2445c3a="h3x"]You can listen to it on a WEP or WPA encrypted network... You just need the login credentials (which should come as no surprise).[/quotedfe2445c3a]

Exactly. Which is what I essentially said.

If I were to walk down the street with a Stiletto, the chance would be low that I'd run across an open hotspot. This reduces it to an MP3 player on the run. For the OP, it may be a moot issue if he's purely interested in something for the car.

[quotedfe2445c3a="h3x"]Also, it receives the signal from local TERR repeaters in addition to the SIRIUS satellites and available 802.11 feed.[/quotedfe2445c3a]

It receives the satellite and repeater signal as a [idfe2445c3a]handheld[/idfe2445c3a]? That's the crux of arguing its portability. Again, not as crucial for the car.

[quotedfe2445c3a="h3x"][quotedfe2445c3a="Tholek"]A handheld that could receive both satellite broadcasts and wi-fi would be great. Maybe after the merger...[/quotedfe2445c3a]

It already exists... It's called the Stiletto ;)[/quotedfe2445c3a]

I said [idfe2445c3a]handheld[/idfe2445c3a]. ;)

dmorris68

28-03-2007 06:50:55

BTW my PC media player of choice, WinAMP, through some arrangement with AOL, streams almost all of the general XM channels. I know the music and comedy channels I listen to are included. Totally free, no subscription or fees required, and the XM feature is included with the free version of WinAMP too.

http//www.winamp.com

Also DirecTV converted their music channels to XM feeds several years ago. So there's a couple of ways to try out much of XM's programming without additional cost or subscription.

Tholek

28-03-2007 07:21:39

Yeah, I remember hearing about a campaign to get The Virus (O&A) on Direct TV. I think it's still on there.

I've not used Winamp in awhile, but I know XM is also supported in WMP too, although I think you do need a subscription or trial for it. I once even used VLC, but the feed eventually reset.

h3x

29-03-2007 01:04:46

Also, if you're an Echostar (Dish Network) subscriber, you already get some SIRIUS programming

http//www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/whats_on_dish/sirius/Sirius_ChannelLinup.pdf