Deleting a Partition on an external HDD.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=55547

stueybaby17

02-03-2007 09:22:51

My desktop died and being a 5 year old computer that was going down hill I decided not to fix it. I just bought a laptop.

I want to use the hdd as an external hdd so I bought an enclosure and have everything hooked up and all. I was able to copy all the info I wanted from the hdd onto the laptop and now i want to reformat.

Here is my problem. I have the hdd partitioned into a 20 gb and a 100 gb partition. The drive is actually a 160 but it was a replacement for one that died in my broken PC, that i got for a good price even though the mother board didn't support a hdd being over 120gb.

Being that I dont' need an OS system partition on it anymore I would like to reformat it to be just 1 partition with 160 gb. I can't figure out how to do it though. I can format each partition separatly. But I can't figure out how to delete the partition and reformat the whole thing.

How do I do it?

Karma to the person that give me the info that helps me do it.

moviemadnessman

02-03-2007 09:38:08

Let's try these steps

1. Open Computer Management (Local). [Start>Run>compmgmt.msc]

2. In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click Storage, and then click Disk Management.

3. Right-click the partition, logical drive, or basic volume you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition.

It should list your external drive in that list, not just your internal drives. Hope this helps.

stueybaby17

02-03-2007 10:00:46

[quote120692fdcd="moviemadnessman"]Let's try these steps

1. Open Computer Management (Local). [Start>Run>compmgmt.msc]

2. In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click Storage, and then click Disk Management.

3. Right-click the partition, logical drive, or basic volume you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition.

It should list your external drive in that list, not just your internal drives. Hope this helps.[/quote120692fdcd]

YOU WIN! Thanks

My HDD will soon be 1 partition fo 149.05 GB. I love how they say it's more but it never is.

You will be recieving karma in about 4 hours.

Thanks

moviemadnessman

02-03-2007 10:09:23

Woohoo! Yeah! Lol ... helps that I just did that about 4 days ago to a friend's external drive ... and that I love computers )

Glad I could help you out.