D-Link Router Web Interface from outside of network?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54201

CollidgeGraduit

16-02-2007 05:37:39

Is it possible to access the web interface from outside my network? I know 192.168.0.1 will work inside the network, but I'm not aware of any way to access it from outside my network.

I've tried googling to no avail... any ideas?

TryinToGetPaid

16-02-2007 07:08:03

I do not think you can, I asked a network guy and he said he didn't think you could either.

CollidgeGraduit

16-02-2007 07:10:09

[quote69ac5fd86a="TryinToGetPaid"]I do not think you can, I asked a network guy and he said he didn't think you could either.[/quote69ac5fd86a]

Thanks for checking it out for me, much appreciated.

TryinToGetPaid

16-02-2007 07:22:39

No problem, I will ask the main network guy when he walks by (IF) and if he tells me something different I will let you know.

CollidgeGraduit

16-02-2007 07:37:51

[quotea2d9c3ec35="TryinToGetPaid"]No problem, I will ask the main network guy when he walks by (IF) and if he tells me something different I will let you know.[/quotea2d9c3ec35]

I had a feeling it wasn't possible, since there's an option for remote administration in the settings, and I've never bothered with it yet. Guess tonight is a good time to look into it P

dmorris68

16-02-2007 11:20:50

It's not generally possible to access the WAN-side (internet side) of an internet router from inside the network. What I do is use either my dial-up (my DSL account includes dial-up access) or VPN through work to test it when necessary. You could also try going through a public proxy.

If you're trying to actually hit IP 192.168.0.1 from the WAN side, that of course is impossible being that it's a private, non-routable class C address. Although it's a security risk and I wouldn't recommend it, some routers will allow you to access/configure them from the WAN, but you still have the above issue of requiring a separate internet path to get back to it.

CollidgeGraduit

16-02-2007 11:26:02

[quote2d9c1ad830="dmorris68"]It's not generally possible to access the WAN-side (internet side) of an internet router from inside the network. What I do is use either my dial-up (my DSL account includes dial-up access) or VPN through work to test it when necessary. You could also try going through a public proxy.

If you're trying to actually hit IP 192.168.0.1 from the WAN side, that of course is impossible being that it's a private, non-routable class C address.[/quote2d9c1ad830]

Here's what I was trying to do. I installed XP Pro last night, set up RDP, and set up port forwarding. I didn't have the time to set up a static IP address for it, but since my PC is almost always on, it's rare for it to not have 192.168.0.10 (the first IP assigned by my router).

Well, I was installing Windows Updates via RDP, from work, and right during one of my reboots, my wife turned her laptop. She stole my IP address, and I was out of luck. By the time I realized why it wasn't working, she had already left for the day. I was hoping I could get into my router remotely and change where the port was forwarded to.

Whew.

I talked to Fugger, and he said it was possible to have limyli PC get a static IP (outside of the range that my router would assign, I guess?) while still letting DHCP assign IPs to my other devices.

David - would you mind giving me a brief explanation on what I need to do? I assume it's in my PC's TCP/IP settings, but I'm a little lost on where I need to go.

gafdpc

16-02-2007 11:54:20

Actually usually you do it thought your router's interface. The PC is still configured for a dynamic IP, you just set the router to always link your ethernet or wireless card's MAC address with a particular IP.

What router do you have?

Allen626

16-02-2007 11:54:22

You may be able to port forward port 80 to 192.168.0.1 in the router interface and then just use the outside IP address to access the router. Of course change the default passwords if you do that.

Allen626

16-02-2007 11:55:50

You can't access it because of NAT. If you turn off NAT your router may get its own IP address, but a lot of ISPs don't like giving you mutliple IPs.

CollidgeGraduit

16-02-2007 11:58:32

[quotec626b961f2="gafdpc"]Actually usually you do it thought your router's interface. The PC is still configured for a dynamic IP, you just set the router to always link your ethernet or wireless card's MAC address with a particular IP.

What router do you have?[/quotec626b961f2]

I believe it's the D-Link WBR-1310 -- though I'd have to check when I get home to be sure. Thanks for the help, that sounds a lot simpler than doing it through PC settings.

dmorris68

16-02-2007 13:10:52

If you just have a couple of PC's in your house and don't bring in new ones on any regular basis (i.e. you don't really need the benefits of DHCP), then setting up static DHCP is probably overkill. You can assign a static IP yourself within Windows very easily. Just go to Network Connections (one way is via Control Panel -> Network Connections). Right click on your LAN connection and select Properties. Scroll down to select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. Change from "Obtain an IP address automatically" to "Use the following IP address". Enter your desired static IP, i.e. 192.168.0.10 (for example). Subnet mask for class C should normally be 255.255.255.0. Default gateway IP would be the LAN IP address of your router, i.e. 192.168.0.1 if that's what it is now. Also beneath that select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and input at least one DNS from your ISP. Some routers will have a caching DNS server built-in, so if yours is configure that way you could enter your router's IP here instead.

Do the same with the wife's laptop, but use 192.168.0.11 (or whatever, just different than yours) as her IP address. Now each of you will forever have those IP addresses and you don't have to worry about one of you grabbing the other's IP. I did this for years until I acquired too many systems that had to be online at once and easily accessible from each other, so I setup a static/dynamic DHCP server and a DNS server.

Since you were RDP'ing into your home PC, you obviously knew your internet IP. Most routers allow internet access for configuration, but usually have it disabled by default. Make sure if you enable it that you secure it with a good password, and realize that if it isn't SSL encrypted (with a https// URL) that the password could be intercepted over the wire. That's why it's generally not advised to access home routers over the internet.

I'm not hands-on familiar with D-Link's products to walk you through it, in fact I don't use any off-the-shelf broadband routers at home -- I have a home-built Linux firewall/router/DHCP/DNS box that handles those duties for me. I've setup a few Netgear and Linksys routers for other folks, but not frequently enough to remember the specifics of those either.